5,815,022 Members 38,260 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Iffy Proximity Sensor

Tip us?

Sp_Ark
Old
Thanks Meter 44
If you want to have a working battery like it used to be before removing it, you have to be very patient and extra careful while trying to remove it. Use some heat for the glue and try with something very thin like a nylon guitar pick. In anyway don't bent the battery and don't start from top. It will be easier to first remove the mother board. Iv already destroyed 4 5 batteries while trying to remove them. Sorry for my English, I hope you understand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

bert682
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_Ark View Post
If you want to have a working battery like it used to be before removing it, you have to be very patient and extra careful while trying to remove it. Use some heat for the glue and try with something very thin like a nylon guitar pick. In anyway don't bent the battery and don't start from top. It will be easier to first remove the mother board. Iv already destroyed 4 5 batteries while trying to remove them. Sorry for my English, I hope you understand.

Yea was extra careful, used a little heat. Someone has definately replaced the screen on the phone before but seems to have been careful enough as no screws missing etc, except the lost the little speaker grille

New screen in and working well. The proximity sensor seems to be working but it reports all or nothing rather than varied. Is this correct?

Sp_Ark
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert682 View Post
Yea was extra careful, used a little heat. Someone has definately replaced the screen on the phone before but seems to have been careful enough as no screws missing etc, except the lost the little speaker grille

New screen in and working well. The proximity sensor seems to be working but it reports all or nothing rather than varied. Is this correct?
Yeah this is normal.

Planterz
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert682 View Post
New screen in and working well.
Awesome! See, it wasn't too bad, was it? Ifixit gives the N4 a 7/10 for repairability, and that's pretty high for them. After replacing my N4 screen, friend/coworker asked if I could do the same for his HTC One M7 with a completely shattered, yet functional digitizer. I said "HEEEEEEEEEEELL NO!"
Relax, go nutz!

bert682
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
Awesome! See, it wasn't too bad, was it? Ifixit gives the N4 a 7/10 for repairability, and that's pretty high for them. After replacing my N4 screen, friend/coworker asked if I could do the same for his HTC One M7 with a completely shattered, yet functional digitizer. I said "HEEEEEEEEEEELL NO!"
No, not with the correct tools. I will admit had I not bought the plastic tools, tweezers etc I may have struggled.

The battery was my main concern, its really stuck down, even though this had been replaced before and likely a less tacky glue used it was still tough. Had to use some heat to soften it and the "battery cover" has seen better days. Next thing to replace is that, just for piece of mind.

All in all, pretty nice experience, the phone seems more modular that other phones I have taken apart which is nice.