Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Iffy Proximity Sensor

OP bert682

4th August 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #11  
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 65
 
189 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
If you want to have a working battery like it used to be before removing it, you have to be very patient and extra careful while trying to remove it. Use some heat for the glue and try with something very thin like a nylon guitar pick. In anyway don't bent the battery and don't start from top. It will be easier to first remove the mother board. Iv already destroyed 4 5 batteries while trying to remove them. Sorry for my English, I hope you understand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
6th August 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #12  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_Ark

If you want to have a working battery like it used to be before removing it, you have to be very patient and extra careful while trying to remove it. Use some heat for the glue and try with something very thin like a nylon guitar pick. In anyway don't bent the battery and don't start from top. It will be easier to first remove the mother board. Iv already destroyed 4 5 batteries while trying to remove them. Sorry for my English, I hope you understand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yea was extra careful, used a little heat. Someone has definately replaced the screen on the phone before but seems to have been careful enough as no screws missing etc, except the lost the little speaker grille

New screen in and working well. The proximity sensor seems to be working but it reports all or nothing rather than varied. Is this correct?
6th August 2014, 11:34 AM   |  #13  
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 65
 
189 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert682

Yea was extra careful, used a little heat. Someone has definately replaced the screen on the phone before but seems to have been careful enough as no screws missing etc, except the lost the little speaker grille

New screen in and working well. The proximity sensor seems to be working but it reports all or nothing rather than varied. Is this correct?

Yeah this is normal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
6th August 2014, 12:05 PM   |  #14  
Planterz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 314
 
1,097 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert682

New screen in and working well.

Awesome! See, it wasn't too bad, was it? Ifixit gives the N4 a 7/10 for repairability, and that's pretty high for them. After replacing my N4 screen, friend/coworker asked if I could do the same for his HTC One M7 with a completely shattered, yet functional digitizer. I said "HEEEEEEEEEEELL NO!"
6th August 2014, 02:22 PM   |  #15  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz

Awesome! See, it wasn't too bad, was it? Ifixit gives the N4 a 7/10 for repairability, and that's pretty high for them. After replacing my N4 screen, friend/coworker asked if I could do the same for his HTC One M7 with a completely shattered, yet functional digitizer. I said "HEEEEEEEEEEELL NO!"

No, not with the correct tools. I will admit had I not bought the plastic tools, tweezers etc I may have struggled.

The battery was my main concern, its really stuck down, even though this had been replaced before and likely a less tacky glue used it was still tough. Had to use some heat to soften it and the "battery cover" has seen better days. Next thing to replace is that, just for piece of mind.

All in all, pretty nice experience, the phone seems more modular that other phones I have taken apart which is nice.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes