Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,462 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

KitKat: Location settings annoyances

Tip us?

kokotron
Old
(Last edited by kokotron; 2nd February 2014 at 09:56 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default KitKat: Location settings annoyances

Hi there. For the last couple of weeks it seems that my Google Maps is having trouble getting a coarse location in battery saving location setting. I mean, it might work for some time, then after a few hours it will be all like "Waiting for location...". Locus Pro maps have similar trouble too (EDIT: No it doesn't!) ... BUT... BUT... Foursquare seems to get the coarse location just fine. The rest of the apps (maps etc.) will come around too after a reboot. I noticed this happening after a CM11 nightly, but since then I've deleted everything at some point and installed Paranoid Android and this issue persisted. Has anybody else experienced this? Also, isn't it extremely annoying that this Google agreement pops up every single time you switch location off/on? This can't be on purpose. Anyway, I'm curious of your experience with KitKat roms and coarse location behavior and other stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

arffrhn
Old
Thanks Meter 721
I think it always like that for me. For google map, you need to switch to high accuracy for it to lock quickly. After the first lock on, then, you can use other mode (device only or battery saving).
Samsung Galaxy S Advance i9070 || ROM: HarshJelly || Kernel: Cocore

Google Nexus 4 || ROM: Mahdi-Rom || Kernel: hells-Core // AK POSEIDON series || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0

kokotron
Old
(Last edited by kokotron; 3rd February 2014 at 07:36 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I always had great and fast precision with just the wifi on (when in the city, of course), no need to turn on the real gps (unless I'm looking for directions or doing some running). Now I have to reboot to recover, so this is not normal. Something obviously happens mid-day, I still haven't pinpointed what/when, that breaks this, until next reboot.

scott_doyland
Old
(Last edited by scott_doyland; 13th February 2014 at 09:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 131
I have found that if I switch off/on location entirely OR switch from WiFi/mobile location to GPS only and then back to WiFi/mobile location then my location cannot be found by Google maps or android device manager (haven't tried any other location based apps to see if they also fail to work).

I have to reboot or clear google play services data to get my WiFi/mobile location to work again.

Note this is on a moto g phone not a nexus 4 but to me it seems like the issue the OP described. Maybe a KitKat bug.

boardlord
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_doyland View Post
I have found that if I switch off/on location entirely OR switch from WiFi/mobile location to GPS only and then back to WiFi/mobile location then my location cannot be found by Google maps or android device manager (haven't tried any other location based apps to see if they also fail to work).

I have to reboot or clear google play services data to get my WiFi/mobile location to work again.

Note this is on a moto g phone not a nexus 4 but to me it seems like the issue the OP described. Maybe a KitKat bug.
EXACTLY the same on my N4

scott_doyland
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardlord View Post
EXACTLY the same on my N4
I created a bug report

https://code.google.com/p/android/is...ummary%20Stars
The Following User Says Thank You to scott_doyland For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]