Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Laser etching the glass back

OP k3nav7

12th February 2013, 06:17 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 175

759 posts
More
its a great idea to personalise your phone

you could very lightly etch it or stratch it in and fill it with transparent adheasive so it would still be strong but noticeable unless you want that glitter.

put your home phone number not your address
12th February 2013, 01:10 PM   |  #12  
Flag Freiburg
Thanks Meter: 56

92 posts
More
Doesn't matter which type of glass it is. mostly they are some kind of borosilicate glass with some additions and protecting layers.
Most important thing to know is which wavelength your laser is emitting and if this wavelength is absorbed by the material of interest. As we all know, glass is usually transparent to visible light (range of 400-800 nm wavelength). So if your laser uses also visible ligth, your etching wont be successfull. Etching with a laser only works, if the light of laser gets absorbed. Thus the energy of the light gets transformed to heat and by that laser ablation works.
look at that graphic for a special borosilicate glass (pyrex) http://www.pgo-online.com/intl/katal...rex_kurve.html
reading this, your laser should be far in the uv light (lambda < 200 nm) or far in the infrared (lambda > 3500 nm)
Good luck!

Edit: I just had a quick search on the gorilla glass. here is some kind of datasheet: http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/s...t%20010713.pdf
Here you can also find a transmission spectrum (here it is for gorilla glass 3, but should be valid for gorilla glass 2, too). Looks similar to the one behind the link I posted. so the conclusion remains.
Last edited by bla_laber; 12th February 2013 at 01:15 PM.
13th February 2013, 06:00 AM   |  #13  
Flag Near Albany NY
Thanks Meter: 494

911 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Laser etching the glass back
Keep in mind: If you etch any personal information onto it, the resale value plummets, maybe even becomes nonexistent.

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4 using Tapatalk˛
13th February 2013, 12:19 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 13

91 posts
Re: [Q] Laser etching the glass back
I've laser engraved some iPhone 4 backs which I think are gorilla glass. Didn't come out as well as engraving normal glass, so I wouldn't try any intricate details.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2013, 01:46 PM   |  #15  
Flag somewhere near York
Thanks Meter: 115

1,158 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by estallings15

Supposedly it is GG2

I don't see how it can be.... It scratches far too easily.....
13th February 2013, 02:28 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 55

187 posts
The glass seems very thin... to me it looks much thinner than the glass of the iPhone 4.

I wouldn't try my luck~ If you are experienced and know your stuff go ahead though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread