Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

How to replace custom kernel?

OP Renecek

26th February 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
170 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Donate to Me
More
Hello, using Purity ROM + Semaphore kernel and I want to try another kernel. Maybe matr1x. What are steps? I need to flash stock kernel, than custom or I can flash custom kernel without stock?

Thank you
26th February 2014, 11:12 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40
 
305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
You don't have to flash stock first.
27th February 2014, 01:20 AM   |  #3  
Mashed_Potatoes's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 99
 
513 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Just flash custom over custom...no need to flash stock
The Following User Says Thank You to Mashed_Potatoes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #4  
Mr_JMM's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Camulodunum UK / Midwest U.S.
Thanks Meter: 107
 
689 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFredPhD

You don't have to flash stock first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed_Potatoes

Just flash custom over custom...no need to flash stock

Use caution. There are cases where flashing one kernel over another has proven to cause stability issues. Whilst for the majority of cases it's not necessary to flash stock kernel first, be prepared to do so. In other words, have a stock kernel downloaded as a back up in case you do have issues with the phone after the kernel exchange.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_JMM For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2014, 02:02 PM   |  #5  
Mashed_Potatoes's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 99
 
513 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_JMM

Use caution. There are cases where flashing one kernel over another has proven to cause stability issues. Whilst for the majority of cases it's not necessary to flash stock kernel first, be prepared to do so. In other words, have a stock kernel downloaded as a back up in case you do have issues with the phone after the kernel exchange.

I've been flashing custom over custom on my ex-Note II and everything was fine. And of course, always wipe cache
The Following User Says Thank You to Mashed_Potatoes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2014, 03:11 PM   |  #6  
Mr_JMM's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Camulodunum UK / Midwest U.S.
Thanks Meter: 107
 
689 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed_Potatoes

I've been flashing custom over custom on my ex-Note II and everything was fine. And of course, always wipe cache

Good for you. Still doesn't mean the best advice we can give someone here is to "don't worry about it, just do it, it'll be fine". You don't know what ROM / Kernel people are coming from / going to and you certainly don't know how future ROMs / Kernels will behave. Again, there ARE examples on this forum where some kernels don't like being flashed over other non-stock kernels, problems have arisen and the only option was to flash a stock kernel first.

The best advice we can give someone on this forum is to be prepared for something to not go 100%. Like you I've never had a bad flash be-it ROM, radio or kernel but I still make sure I have a nandroid of the previous working state, stock ROM, radio and Kernel downloaded and know how to flash them before I do anything. That way, should it go wrong I'm covered.

I can not stress enough how wrong it is to just say "yeah, nothing will go wrong". It DOES go wrong and it goes wrong every day. For someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_JMM For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #7  
Mashed_Potatoes's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 99
 
513 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_JMM

Good for you. Still doesn't mean the best advice we can give someone here is to "don't worry about it, just do it, it'll be fine". You don't know what ROM / Kernel people are coming from / going to and you certainly don't know how future ROMs / Kernels will behave. Again, there ARE examples on this forum where some kernels don't like being flashed over other non-stock kernels, problems have arisen and the only option was to flash a stock kernel first.

The best advice we can give someone on this forum is to be prepared for something to not go 100%. Like you I've never had a bad flash be-it ROM, radio or kernel but I still make sure I have a nandroid of the previous working state, stock ROM, radio and Kernel downloaded and know how to flash them before I do anything. That way, should it go wrong I'm covered.

I can not stress enough how wrong it is to just say "yeah, nothing will go wrong". It DOES go wrong and it goes wrong every day. For someone.

Umm, a recovery backup is something everyone should have. A backup of everything, including EFS for the clumsy ones that lose their IMEI's.

If you have a full backup of your system, it is okay to say "don't worry everything will be alright". If something goes wrong, you just do a system restore.

But that's just me, i can't be bothered with flashing stock kernels and roms all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mashed_Potatoes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes