[LOOKING FOR A FIX] DATA drops

OP undercover

6th January 2013, 03:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 4,290

13,981 posts
More
Hi guys. I've looked around and it seems that data drops are fairly common as of lately. I would like to find out what exactly the problem is.
Here's my situation. Data drops first occurred about a week ago, I was running RBJ and Harsh kernel with hsic fix in. Mainly it happens when exiting wifi range. Went back to nandroid with RBJ/Bricked and it was fine. Tried harsh again issue reappeared. Tried flashing pre hsic kernels and problem persisted. Full wipe, dirty flashes, different kernels etc. Problem is still there intermittently. Now I'm running stock everything and it seems ok for now, but I did experience it once. I guess more testing is needed. I'd think it could be carrier issues, especially as Orange UK confirmed they are having problems at (that would include T-Mobile) but my wife is on the same carrier and doesn't seem to have this problem.
So what you say? What rom/kernel combo you had issue on and on which one you didn't? Can anyone see a pattern?
Problem first appeared:
RBJ
HARSH
Orange UK
West London

As suggested per _ICE_
Post these please.

Hardware: rev_x (10 or 11) <-- go to boot loader to check
ROM:
Kernel:
Network:
Description: One of the below or other

1. There is 3g or H sign above signal bar but the tiny arrow pointing up is constantly showing and you can't get access to internet ?
2. There is no 3g or H sign above signal bar but you have blue signal bars ?
3. No 3g or H, grey signal bars and all of the sudden signal bars dias appear and reappear
Last edited by undercover; 16th January 2013 at 05:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercover For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2013, 04:10 AM   |  #2  
Derby
Thanks Meter: 121

707 posts
What do you mean by no data?

Do you mean
1. There is 3g or H sign above signal bar but the tiny arrow pointing up is constantly showing and you can't get access to internet ?
3. No 3g or H, grey signal bars and all of the sudden signal bars dias appear and reappear ?

Most of the times I get issue 1 but simple air plane mode solves the problem

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to MattSkeet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2013, 04:25 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

13,981 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSkeet

What do you mean by no data?

Do you mean
3. No 3g or H, grey signal bars and all of the sudden signal bars dias appear and reappear ?

Most of the times I get issue 1 but simple air plane mode solves the problem

no1 and greyed out icon (no connection to google servers which atomatically mean no connection). The rest exactly as you described in that line.
6th January 2013, 04:34 AM   |  #4  
NYC & Germany
Thanks Meter: 455

1,570 posts
More
Simply everyone put the same commits in their kernels and therefore caused them all to fail. Those HSIC fix broke other stuff too which is why everyone was reporting the samething. They've been reverted in CM and Franco and other kernels.
6th January 2013, 04:54 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

13,981 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35

Simply everyone put the same commits in their kernels and therefore caused them all to fail. Those HSIC fix broke other stuff too which is why everyone was reporting the samething. They've been reverted in CM and Franco and other kernels.

I'd agree that it was the case if it didn't keep happening after going back to complete stock via flashing images.

I wonder if something happened to sim along the way?
6th January 2013, 05:46 AM   |  #6  
Flag In the Matrix
Thanks Meter: 231

792 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover

I'd agree that it was the case if it didn't keep happening after going back to complete stock via flashing images.

I wonder if something happened to sim along the way?

I doubt it is a sim issue. I get the same thing when I am in different areas of my house. Living room is great but the master bedroom and media room give me data drops. Have you tested to see if maybe this is the same thing happening to you? Certain areas causing it?

My phone will have full bars and show the H but out of nowhere I see the data drop, buts its only in certain areas. It has never happened in the living room where I spend most of my time. Oh and I am not on WiFi because I disconnected Time Warners crappy service and am waiting for Verizon to come set up if anyone is wondering why I was using data instead of Wifi .

6th January 2013, 05:52 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

13,981 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk4Life

I doubt it is a sim issue. I get the same thing when I am in different areas of my house. Living room is great but the master bedroom and media room give me data drops. Have you tested to see if maybe this is the same thing happening to you? Certain areas causing it?

My phone will have full bars and show the H but out of nowhere I see the data drop, buts its only in certain areas. It has never happened in the living room where I spend most of my time. Oh and I am not on WiFi because I disconnected Time Warners crappy service and am waiting for Verizon to come set up if anyone is wondering why I was using data instead of Wifi .

Are you on stock?

And areas I'm affected in are a lot larger. I'm talking 25miles here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by undercover; 6th January 2013 at 05:59 AM.
6th January 2013, 06:04 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 157

1,628 posts
More
Same issue here, it's driving me nuts.
The problem is, I have full service and with a data connection with a H.
Whenever I use an app or anything that would use the data connection, it wouldn't work. It just won't work. It does this, sometimes and sometimes in certain areas.
Say I have full service with a strong data connection, I'll use instagram and refresh, the arrows for data connection won't be there and nothing will show.
It does this constantly. I'm running the stock rom with Franco's r23 kernel. It's been doing this with the stock kernel as well. Using T-Mobile in NYC
It's quite annoying, and I really don't want to wipe and or flash another rom as it happens once in a while.

6th January 2013, 06:20 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

13,981 posts
More
Well for me it's like 90% of the time.

Edit. Now this is interesting... http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40514

ok, something to test guys.

*#*#4636#*#*
Choose WDCMA only.
Edit. No help

Last edited by undercover; 6th January 2013 at 10:28 PM.
7th January 2013, 01:44 AM   |  #10  
Derby
Thanks Meter: 121

707 posts
Its a network thing I believe plus some kind of android issue . I had data drops on galaxy nexus , most of the times its the way once described it in 1 but occasionally the way in 2 or 3. Baaa on giffgaff network I had data but when screen was off I had gray bars.

The Following User Says Thank You to MattSkeet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread