[LOOKING FOR A FIX] DATA drops

Search This thread

vinbaure

Sep 17, 2012
After updating my phone to 4.2.2, i've never experienced any data drops and also, I've noticed that my signal is much better. Could anyone agree with my findings?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

eric_son

Jun 23, 2009
Quezon City
After updating my phone to 4.2.2, i've never experienced any data drops and also, I've noticed that my signal is much better. Could anyone agree with my findings?

Hahaha... same here.
:)

Previously in 4.2.1, once I lose data, I'd lose it for good. Even if I get to a place where I know there is a good 3G signal, the phone signal still indicates the gray triangle w/o the H. The only way for me to get it back was to either reboot or to toggle between plane-mode and phone-mode.

Now under 4.2.2, although I still lose data connections on the same areas (3g dead-zone perhaps?), my phone is now able to re-establish data quickly.

Anyway, looking good so far! (knock on wood...)

Reactions: 9m2bal

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
I've also been getting data drops on my Nexus 4, on giffgaff UK. I've fixed them by flashing codefirex SR11 ROM, faux123's kernel (last stable one) and by switching to LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) in Phone info (*#*#4636#*#*).

It seems to be working decent without the LTE/GSM/CDMA thing, but it's very slow and it seems quite laggy (enough laggy for facebook messenger to time-out). Switching to that from WCDMA drastically improves speed and responsiveness of the network. Mobile websites are loading within 1 second (feels almost like on wifi). I don't know if it's the combination between ROM, kernel and that setting for network or something else.

But I can say that I was getting serious drops on Montley kernel. On franco kernel, the mobile data was completely unusable (it was just staying on grey H, never switched to blue H/H+ or loaded anything).

Can someone confirm this?

Doesn't this kill your battery?

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

I must admit. I switched to what Lorin suggested and it does seem to be a whole lot better. WhatsApp isn't randomly timing out no more!

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Hang on, mine didn't change :S

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

It reverts back to WCDMA every time I change it grrr lol

smaghe

Sep 26, 2008
Paris
Hi everybody, *pfffff* finally got my N4 yesterday, after several months trying...
I have constant data drops. H+ and 3G shows with signal bars, but they don't turn blue. Nothing happens. I thought at first that it was due to bad signal @home, but I'm now in the library and can't use tethering properly (no wifi here) because of the constant data drops.
Only solution I found so far is to run on 2G, which seems to run properly.
I've tried to change APN, to set the radio to LTE/CMDA/GSM, without success.
It pisses me so much. I didn't even flash or root the phone, I'm on stock 4.2.2, baseband M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.48
Kernel 3.4.0-perf-g7ce11cd
Build JDQ39.
N4 is KHE3.
F***k, so long waiting for my first Nexus Experience and so many disappointments.
I understand the fact that android is also about customization, which I enjoy, but come on, having to tweak the radio OTB ?
How can you bear this ? How can such problems occur with a phone coming from the last batch ?
I'm starting to think that it wasn't a high end fair priced phone, but rather a 350 euro fragile and cheapo constructed phone.
Possibly getting my money back and buy XZ/GS4, depending on how I crave for stock.
Out of harware problems, I love how android has evolved. It's starting to be really polished and fast. 4.2 is so intuitive and good looking, *Sigh*

vepar

Apr 12, 2005
Hi
Has anyone experienced this kind of data drop problem.
When phone is in idle (screen off) after some time when i wake it up i see that bars are gray (meaning data is off) and i run to start gtalk and i can see that data connection is being restored. Data loss is not gtalk specific if i just wake it after some idle time data bars are gray and after5-10seconds data is restored back.
Tried calling my provider and guy from technical department was really good telling me that he can't find any data drop from their log.
Stock rom, not rooted OEM state 4.2.2, JDQ39, non of the power management app isn't installed that could bring down data connection to save battery or anything similar.
Tried 2 APN's (2 of them available from my provider) and got the same problem on both of them.

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

waltibaba

Oct 26, 2008
HTC Leo
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Happens to me all the time on different ROMs and Kernels. Currently daily driver is PA 3.00 15feb.

Hardware: rev_11
ROM:paranoidAndroid 3.00 15.Feb stock (no mods flashed)
Kernel: Stock PA mako Kernel
Network: Hutchinson 3G (Drei Austria)
Description: Connection goes stale on 3G and H, symbol still there but bars are grey. Arrows showing data connection keep popping up, mostly upload though (attempting to connect).
Connection frequently drops on cell handover, i.e. listening to internet radio in the subway, connection drops out after a few minutes, and struggles to get back. Was never a problem with Galaxy Tab, Evo 3d, Nexus S, or Note 1.

vepar

Apr 12, 2005
Truthfully i wouldn't be surprised if it happened on some modified kernel but this is all stock N4.
I never had this kind of problem on Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus

This is what i'm talking about...
Didn't touch the phone for 10-15 minutes and when i weak it up no data is active...
I took over 15 seconds to reconnect.. i.imgur.com/Q0jxp0S.png

Last edited:

sumit999

Nov 21, 2012
Any solution???

Any permanent solution to the Data going into deep sleep???

I am somehow managing it with refreshing the app or going for airplane mode :(

Thanks

joshua.justice

Feb 12, 2011
Cincinnati
For some reason my data is only showing edge and I'm in a hspa+ area. I tried rebooting bit it still does it. I'm on an unlimited data plan without throttling. The data drops too so I'm not sure what the issue is.

dnkbro

Dec 26, 2012
I've been having this problem since I first got my phone in February. Stock 4.2.1/4.2.2, both unrooted and rooted. At first, I was using my AT&T sim card. I was using the correct APN settings (using XDA threads and another site I can't remember) and would have data drops. I would have full bars in blue with the H symbol but the internet would just idle about 60-70% of the time. The interesting this is sometimes if I had been on the internet for a little while, it would start working without the data drops. The problem was much more common going from periods of not having used the internet. Eventually I got extremely fed up and was about to RMA the device. I decided to use my T-Mobile SIM and the problem seemed to go away. However, the issue reared its ugly head again. I noticed it happened more frequently when I was using 3rd party apps such as Reddit News and such. The other day it got to the point where the phone was just not loading webpages anymore unless I was on Wi-Fi. I ended up calling Google and requesting a warranty exchange. It should be here by tomorrow so I will report back. In my opinion, it's a hardware issue affecting some phones. I've factory reset my phone, changed the APN settings (which only helped temporarily), and tried two different SIM cards. I work for T-Mobile and sell plenty of Nexus 4's and haven't had a customer come back with the issue (knock on wood).

Will keep you guys updated...

elendil1310

Jan 31, 2012
is there any news on whether this is a software o hardware problem? i advised my gf to get this phone instead of an iphone and this is making me look really bad jaja...any rom kernel radio whatever that fixes this issue? the phone is on stock 4,2,2 with .48 radio.....

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
is there any news on whether this is a software o hardware problem? i advised my gf to get this phone instead of an iphone and this is making me look really bad jaja...any rom kernel radio whatever that fixes this issue? the phone is on stock 4,2,2 with .48 radio.....

I don't have that anymore since changing sim.

No no no, I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm a grammar Commie!

taff2408

May 1, 2010
Had this problem since changing to Vodafone. I've had them checking the coverage but all reports came back good. I have changed SIM and still the same, and then the other day came across something on XDA that may help. In your APN settings under the heading APN Type enter the following:
default,supl,mms type it exactly as I have done.
Give it a try and I hope it helps, as mine has been rock solid for a few days now with no drops since I have added this.

Richieboy67

Dec 10, 2011
CT
www.talkdevelopment.net
Had this problem since changing to Vodafone. I've had them checking the coverage but all reports came back good. I have changed SIM and still the same, and then the other day came across something on XDA that may help. In your APN settings under the heading APN Type enter the following:
default,supl,mms type it exactly as I have done.
Give it a try and I hope it helps, as mine has been rock solid for a few days now with no drops since I have added this.

Really? Type it with commas and not periods??

This is just for voda?

Sent from my shiny new(bought last Nov), scratch less Nexus 4!

thfreedumb

Aug 27, 2012
switching to another mobile provider isn't really an option for me as ATT is even worse (i use tmobile).

My issue. 4G/LTE is amazing and when its connected it always seems to work and rarely drops unless i drastically move the phone location.

I changed the APN to 'fast.t-mobile.com' and the IP has been on 4, 6 and 4/6 and worked. Using the radio setting LTE/GSM auto (PRL).

Now when LTE is not available, I have problems on HSPA+. Do I need to use a different APN or a radio setting? I get the same issue where i have the blue 3g/H+ in the signal bar but no internet connectivity.

AOKP M2, Franco Kernel M3.

Last edited:

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
switching to another mobile provider isn't really an option for me as ATT is even worse (i use tmobile).

My issue. 4G/LTE is amazing and when its connected it always seems to work and rarely drops unless i drastically move the phone location.

I changed the APN to 'fast.t-mobile.com' and the IP has been on 4, 6 and 4/6 and worked. Using the radio setting LTE/GSM auto (PRL).

Now when LTE is not available, I have problems on HSPA+. Do I need to use a different APN or a radio setting? I get the same issue where i have the blue 3g/H+ in the signal bar but no internet connectivity.

AOKP M2, Franco Kernel M3.

Yeah, probably need a different apn for 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The problem seems to occur most for me when leaving a Wi-Fi signal area after being on Wi-Fi for a long while. Immediately afterwards, the 3g/data signal goes haywire, disconnecting and reconnecting several times over a few minutes of use. Things seem to work better if I manually disable Wi-Fi before leaving the house; I still get occasional drops, but only once every few hours, which really isn't too bad. (EDIT: Never mind, the problem came back.) This leads me to suspect that it has something to do with transitioning between Wi-Fi and 3G, but of course that's just a guess.

Undercover, how's that new setting (LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO (PRL)) working out so far? Also, I don't think you mentioned whether your data drops were "permanent" (i.e., requiring something like toggling airplane mode or rebooting to fix) or temporary (data drops, then reconnects itself after a little while).

EDIT: I was able to grab this from logcat around the time a data drop happened:

Code:
    W/Smack/Packet( 1065): notify conn break (IOEx), close connection
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleConnectivityChange: addresses changed linkProperty[0]: resetMask=1
    D/ConnectivityService(  541):    car=removed=[100.241.121.139/29,] added=[]
    D/NetUtils(  541): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x40e733e8 clazz=0x75d00001 iface=rmnet_usb0 mask=0x1
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): resetConnections(rmnet_usb0, 1)

<...>

D/Tethering(  541): MasterInitialState.processMessage what=3
    I/qtaguid ( 1065): Failed write_ctrl(u 56) res=-1 errno=22
    I/qtaguid ( 1065): Untagging socket 56 failed errno=-22
    W/NetworkManagementSocketTagger( 1065): untagSocket(56) failed with errno -22
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): ConnectivityChange for mobile: DISCONNECTED/DISCONNECTED
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): Attempting to switch to wifi
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): Attempting to switch to BLUETOOTH_TETHER
    D/NetUtils(  541): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x40e733e8 clazz=0x7ad00001 iface=rmnet_usb0 mask=0x3
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): resetConnections(rmnet_usb0, 3)
    D/overlay (  163): FROM_STATE = OV_BYPASS_3_LAYER TO_STATE = OV_CLOSED
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=0, published condition=0
    D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: no active default network - ignoring
    D/Tethering(  541): MasterInitialState.processMessage what=3

I have no idea if this is helpful or informative at all ... perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me would be able to make some sense of this , or tell me what information might be more useful.
    Interesting. That gives me an idea. Hold tight.
    Edit. Nah, forget it.

I think i found my fix.

Rebooted, in terminal

logcat -b radio
    gave me this.

Code:
    u0_a90@android:/ $ su
    u0_a90@android:/ # logcat -b radio
    E/RILC    (  165): RIL_register: RIL version 7
    E/RILQ    (  165): (0/165): [event] qcril_uim_update_pbm_card_event: PBM_HANDLE_CARD 397313 processing Failed!
    E/RILQ    (  165): (0/165): [event] qcril_qmi_voice_nas_control_convert_radio_tech_to_radio_tech_family: invalid radio tech = 0
    E/RILQ    (  165): (0/165): [event] qcril_uim_update_pbm_card_event: PBM_HANDLE_CARD 397314 processing Failed!
    I/PHONE   (  881): Network Mode set to 0
    I/PHONE   (  881): lteOnCdma is 0 use SUBSCRIPTION_FROM_NV
    I/PHONE   (  881): Cdma Subscription set to 1
    D/RILJ    (  881): RIL(context, preferredNetworkType=0 cdmaSubscription=1)
    D/RILJ    (  881): Starting RILReceiver
    I/RILC    (  165): libril: new connection
    I/RILC    (  165): RIL Daemon version: Qualcomm RIL 1.0
    I/RILJ    (  881): Connected to 'rild' socket
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RIL_CONNECTED {7}
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0000]> RADIO_POWER off
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0001]> REQUEST_SET_PREFERRED_NETWORK_TYPE : 0
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0002]> RIL_REQUEST_CDMA_SET_SUBSCRIPTION_SOURCE : 1
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_RADIO_STATE_CHANGED RADIO_OFF
    D/RIL_UiccController(  881): Creating UiccController
    D/RILB    (  881): Notifying: radio available
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0003]> SCREEN_STATE: true
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0003]< SCREEN_STATE
    I/PHONE   (  881): Creating GSMPhone
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0000]< RADIO_POWER
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_RADIO_STATE_CHANGED RADIO_OFF
    D/PHONE   (  881): mDoesRilSendMultipleCallRing=false
    D/PHONE   (  881): mCallRingDelay=3000
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0002]< RIL_REQUEST_CDMA_SET_SUBSCRIPTION_SOURCE
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0001]< REQUEST_SET_PREFERRED_NETWORK_TYPE
    D/RILJ    (  881): setPhoneType=1 old value=0
    D/SMS     (  881): SMSDispatcher: ctor mSmsCapable=true format=3gpp mSmsReceiveDisabled=false mSmsSendDisabled=false
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] DCT.constructor
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] GsmDCT.constructor
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set enabled as true, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(default, true(true), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set reason as dependencyMet,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set enabled as true, current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] trySetupData for type:default due to dependencyMet
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] trySetupData with mIsPsRestricted=false
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnsOfAvailability skipped apn due to isReady==false: {mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=dependencyMet mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(mms, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(supl, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(dun, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(hipri, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(fota, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(ims, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] set mDependencyMet as false current state is true
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] applyNewState(cbs, false(false), true(false))
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] set enabled as false, current state is false
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] set mDependencyMet as true current state is false
    D/RILB    (  881): registerForRilConnected h=Handler (com.android.internal.telephony.PhoneProxy) {4135fa98} w=4
    D/RILB    (  881): Notifying: ril connected mRilVersion=7
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): Creating
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): [COLOR="Red"]Broadcasting intent ACTION_SIM_STATE_CHANGED NOT_READY reason null[/COLOR]
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): Setting radio tech UMTS
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): updateQuietMode: 3GPP subscription -> newQuietMode=false
    D/RIL_IccCardProxy(  881): updateQuietMode: QuietMode is false (app_type=1 isLteOnCdmaMode=false cdmaSource=-1)
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0004]> RADIO_POWER on
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmSST] Poll ServiceState done:  oldSS=[1 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported 0 0 RoamInd=0 DefRoamInd=0 EmergOnly=false] newSS=[3 home null null null  Unknown CSS not supported -1 -1 RoamInd=-1 DefRoamInd=-1 EmergOnly=false] oldGprs=1 newData=1 oldMaxDataCalls=1 mNewMaxDataCalls=1 oldReasonDataDenied=-1 mNewReasonDataDenied=-1 oldType=Unknown newType=Unknown
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmSST] updateSpnDisplay: radio is off w/ showPlmn=false plmn=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmSST] updateSpnDisplay: changed sending intent rule=0 showPlmn='false' plmn='null' showSpn='false' spn=''
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmSST] operatorNumeric is null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270369 when=-222ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@4132e420 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270337 when=-202ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@4131ae38 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] onRadioAvailable
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] overall state is IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270342 when=-202ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@41350028 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] onRadioOffOrNotAvailable: is off and clean up all connections
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpAllConnections: tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=fota mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT][COLOR="red"] isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded[/COLOR]
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(fota): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:fota
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=fota mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=fota mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=dun mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] [COLOR="red"]isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded[/COLOR]
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(dun): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:dun
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=dun mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=dun mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=supl mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] [COLOR="red"]isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded[/COLOR]
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(supl): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:supl
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=supl mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=supl mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=hipri mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(hipri): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:hipri
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=hipri mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=hipri mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=ims mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataAllowed: not allowed due to - gprs= 1 - SIM not loaded
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(ims): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:ims
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=ims mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=ims mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(default): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=true apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:default
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=mms mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(mms): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:mms
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=mms mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=mms mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] set reason as radioTurnedOff,current state IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: E tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=cbs mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setState: IDLE, previous state:IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(cbs): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:cbs
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setDataConnection: old dc=null new dc=null this={mApnType=cbs mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setDataConnectionAc: old dcac=null new dcac=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] cleanUpConnection: X tearDown=false reason=radioTurnedOff apnContext={mApnType=cbs mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=false mDependencyMet=true} dc=null
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] stopNetStatPoll
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:fota
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(fota): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/RILJ    (  881): [0004]< RADIO_POWER
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_RADIO_STATE_CHANGED RADIO_ON
    D/RILB    (  881): Notifying: Radio On
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:dun
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(dun): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:supl
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(supl): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:hipri
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(hipri): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:ims
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(ims): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnsOfAvailability skipped apn due to isReady==false: {mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:mms
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(mms): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnOfAvailability type:cbs
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(cbs): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=false apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/RILJ    (  881): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_VOICE_NETWORK_STATE_CHANGED
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270345 when=-625ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@41335960 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] onDataConnectionDetached: stop polling and notify detached
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] stopNetStatPoll
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyDataConnection: reason=dataDetached
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyDataConnection: type:default
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] isDataPossible(default): possible=false isDataAllowed=false apnTypePossible=true apnContextisEnabled=true apnContextState()=IDLE
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] get active apn string for type:default
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] notifyOffApnsOfAvailability skipped apn due to isReady==false: {mApnType=default mState=IDLE mWaitingApns=null mWaitingApnsPermanentFailureCountDown=0 mApnSetting=null mDataConnectionAc=null mReason=radioTurnedOff mRetryCount=0 mDataEnabled=true mDependencyMet=true}
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] handleMessage msg={ what=270348 when=-690ms obj=android.os.AsyncResult@41330038 }
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:fota] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:dun] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:supl] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:hipri] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:ims] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:default] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:mms] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [ApnContext:cbs] setRetryCount: 0
    D/GSM     (  881): [GsmDCT] onRoamingOff

and much more which is irrelevant i think. So this prompted me to do what i should have done ages ago but completely forgot. I've swapped sims with my wife's S3 (same operator). Low and behold, my sim in her phone has no data (same symptoms as no 1) ,her card in mine working fine. Will report again once i change my sim.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi guys. I've looked around and it seems that data drops are fairly common as of lately. I would like to find out what exactly the problem is.
    Here's my situation. Data drops first occurred about a week ago, I was running RBJ and Harsh kernel with hsic fix in. Mainly it happens when exiting wifi range. Went back to nandroid with RBJ/Bricked and it was fine. Tried harsh again issue reappeared. Tried flashing pre hsic kernels and problem persisted. Full wipe, dirty flashes, different kernels etc. Problem is still there intermittently. Now I'm running stock everything and it seems ok for now, but I did experience it once. I guess more testing is needed. I'd think it could be carrier issues, especially as Orange UK confirmed they are having problems at (that would include T-Mobile) but my wife is on the same carrier and doesn't seem to have this problem.
    So what you say? What rom/kernel combo you had issue on and on which one you didn't? Can anyone see a pattern?
    Problem first appeared:
    RBJ
    HARSH
    Orange UK
    West London

As suggested per _ICE_
    Post these please.

Hardware: rev_x (10 or 11) <-- go to boot loader to check
    ROM:
    Kernel:
    Network:
    Description: One of the below or other

1. There is 3g or H sign above signal bar but the tiny arrow pointing up is constantly showing and you can't get access to internet ?
    2. There is no 3g or H sign above signal bar but you have blue signal bars ?
    3. No 3g or H, grey signal bars and all of the sudden signal bars dias appear and reappear
    What do you mean by no data?

Do you mean
    1. There is 3g or H sign above signal bar but the tiny arrow pointing up is constantly showing and you can't get access to internet ?
    2. There is no 3g or H sign above signal bar but you have blue signal bars ?
    3. No 3g or H, grey signal bars and all of the sudden signal bars dias appear and reappear ?

Most of the times I get issue 1 but simple air plane mode solves the problem

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Hahaha... same here.
    :)

Previously in 4.2.1, once I lose data, I'd lose it for good. Even if I get to a place where I know there is a good 3G signal, the phone signal still indicates the gray triangle w/o the H. The only way for me to get it back was to either reboot or to toggle between plane-mode and phone-mode.

Now under 4.2.2, although I still lose data connections on the same areas (3g dead-zone perhaps?), my phone is now able to re-establish data quickly.

Anyway, looking good so far! (knock on wood...)