Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,329 Members 38,963 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[LOOKING FOR A FIX] DATA drops

Tip us?

undercover
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresk View Post
I get dropped/inconsistent signals as well but only in certain areas of my house or the city I live in. I'll have a few bars of H and then poof no signal. I can almost predict when I'm going to run in to that little problem because my loading times and such will be all around slower. Even though I should have a fast connection according to my signal bars. During times when I'm experiencing fast download speeds my signal never falters.
Do you mind testing what I posted on previous page?

Sent from my fridge. Make:LG Model:N4
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

tengen
Old
(Last edited by tengen; 7th January 2013 at 08:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
The problem seems to occur most for me when leaving a Wi-Fi signal area after being on Wi-Fi for a long while. Immediately afterwards, the 3g/data signal goes haywire, disconnecting and reconnecting several times over a few minutes of use. Things seem to work better if I manually disable Wi-Fi before leaving the house; I still get occasional drops, but only once every few hours, which really isn't too bad. (EDIT: Never mind, the problem came back.) This leads me to suspect that it has something to do with transitioning between Wi-Fi and 3G, but of course that's just a guess.

Undercover, how's that new setting (LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO (PRL)) working out so far? Also, I don't think you mentioned whether your data drops were "permanent" (i.e., requiring something like toggling airplane mode or rebooting to fix) or temporary (data drops, then reconnects itself after a little while).

EDIT: I was able to grab this from logcat around the time a data drop happened:

Code:
W/Smack/Packet( 1065): notify conn break (IOEx), close connection
D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleConnectivityChange: addresses changed linkProperty[0]: resetMask=1
D/ConnectivityService(  541):    car=removed=[100.241.121.139/29,] added=[]
D/NetUtils(  541): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x40e733e8 clazz=0x75d00001 iface=rmnet_usb0 mask=0x1
D/ConnectivityService(  541): resetConnections(rmnet_usb0, 1)

<...>

D/Tethering(  541): MasterInitialState.processMessage what=3
I/qtaguid ( 1065): Failed write_ctrl(u 56) res=-1 errno=22
I/qtaguid ( 1065): Untagging socket 56 failed errno=-22
W/NetworkManagementSocketTagger( 1065): untagSocket(56) failed with errno -22
D/ConnectivityService(  541): ConnectivityChange for mobile: DISCONNECTED/DISCONNECTED
D/ConnectivityService(  541): Attempting to switch to wifi
D/ConnectivityService(  541): Attempting to switch to BLUETOOTH_TETHER
D/NetUtils(  541): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x40e733e8 clazz=0x7ad00001 iface=rmnet_usb0 mask=0x3
D/ConnectivityService(  541): resetConnections(rmnet_usb0, 3)
D/overlay (  163): FROM_STATE = OV_BYPASS_3_LAYER TO_STATE = OV_CLOSED
D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=0, published condition=0
D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: no active default network - ignoring
I have no idea if this is helpful or informative at all ... perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me would be able to make some sense of this , or tell me what information might be more useful.
Nexus 4
Stock ROM 4.2.2 Rooted
Motley Kernel b39
CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.2.3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tengen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nuu~
Old
Thanks Meter 85
WiFi off the whole day, H or H+ connection, in an area with full coverage.
Simply no connection to the internet. No signs of loading anything (no up/down arrows). Bar still blue and shows full connection. When trying to load pages in a webbrowser, it just sits there and loads forever.
Airplane mode seems to be bugged too if that occurs. Disable and enable the data connection doesn't work either. The H/H+ sign doesn't even go away.
I've yet to test if calls are still working in this situation, or if it's just the internet connection.
Only a reboot seems to fix the problem.

CyanogenMod nightly (1/3/2013) with CM kernel.

tengen
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuu~ View Post
Simply no connection to the internet. No signs of loading anything (no up/down arrows). Bar still blue and shows full connection. When trying to load pages in a webbrowser, it just sits there and loads forever.
Airplane mode seems to be bugged too if that occurs. Disable and enable the data connection doesn't work either. The H/H+ sign doesn't even go away.
I've yet to test if calls are still working in this situation, or if it's just the internet connection.

Sounds a little different from what I'm experiencing. My 3g/H symbol actually disappears and the bars go grey. I remember reading that there was a bug in a CM nightly a few days ago that caused data connection issues - could that be your problem?
Nexus 4
Stock ROM 4.2.2 Rooted
Motley Kernel b39
CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.2.3

Ace42
Old
Thanks Meter 1,122
Did you guys try calling your carriers?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Main: LG G2 D-800 {Tmobile)
LG Opt G (e970)
Hybrid radios for E970
Surface RT 32GB--Kindle Fire 1G_CM11--SGS Vibrant_CM11
Owned: G1(Backup)-> Mytouch3GS(Sold) -> SideKick4G(Traded) -> MyTouch4G(Sold) -> Sensation 4G(Sold) -> Galaxy Player 5"(Sold) ->Nexus 4(broken)->LG Opt G

Nuu~
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengen View Post
there was a bug in a CM nightly a few days ago that caused data connection issues - could that be your problem?
maybe. i already updated to a newer version and will test it tomorrow.
will report back if i find out anything new.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuu~ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vinbaure
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresk View Post
I get dropped/inconsistent signals as well but only in certain areas of my house or certain parts of the city I live in. I'll have a few bars of H and then poof no signal. I can almost predict when I'm going to run in to that little problem because my loading times and such will be all around slower. Even though I should have a fast connection according to my signal bars. During times when I'm experiencing fast download speeds my signal never falters. PS I'm completely stock, not unlocked, not rooted.
Same here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

undercover
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengen View Post
The problem seems to occur most for me when leaving a Wi-Fi signal area after being on Wi-Fi for a long while. Immediately afterwards, the 3g/data signal goes haywire, disconnecting and reconnecting several times over a few minutes of use. Things seem to work better if I manually disable Wi-Fi before leaving the house; I still get occasional drops, but only once every few hours, which really isn't too bad. (EDIT: Never mind, the problem came back.) This leads me to suspect that it has something to do with transitioning between Wi-Fi and 3G, but of course that's just a guess.

Undercover, how's that new setting (LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO (PRL)) working out so far? Also, I don't think you mentioned whether your data drops were "permanent" (i.e., requiring something like toggling airplane mode or rebooting to fix) or temporary (data drops, then reconnects itself after a little while).

EDIT: I was able to grab this from logcat around the time a data drop happened:

Code:
W/Smack/Packet( 1065): notify conn break (IOEx), close connection
D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleConnectivityChange: addresses changed linkProperty[0]: resetMask=1
D/ConnectivityService(  541):    car=removed=[100.241.121.139/29,] added=[]
D/NetUtils(  541): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x40e733e8 clazz=0x75d00001 iface=rmnet_usb0 mask=0x1
D/ConnectivityService(  541): resetConnections(rmnet_usb0, 1)

<...>

I/qtaguid ( 1065): Failed write_ctrl(u 56) res=-1 errno=22
I/qtaguid ( 1065): Untagging socket 56 failed errno=-22
W/NetworkManagementSocketTagger( 1065): untagSocket(56) failed with errno -22
D/ConnectivityService(  541): ConnectivityChange for mobile: DISCONNECTED/DISCONNECTED
D/ConnectivityService(  541): Attempting to switch to wifi
D/ConnectivityService(  541): Attempting to switch to BLUETOOTH_TETHER
D/NetUtils(  541): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x40e733e8 clazz=0x7ad00001 iface=rmnet_usb0 mask=0x3
D/ConnectivityService(  541): resetConnections(rmnet_usb0, 3)
D/overlay (  163): FROM_STATE = OV_BYPASS_3_LAYER TO_STATE = OV_CLOSED
D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=0, published condition=0
D/ConnectivityService(  541): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: no active default network - ignoring
I have no idea if this is helpful or informative at all ... perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me would be able to make some sense of this , or tell me what information might be more useful.
No, not really my friend. Still hit and miss. I'm messing with wifi settings now, hoping for a lucky guess.
I'm here, just reading more that posting. Keep throwing all the info in that you think is connected to that, we might hit a jackpot by an accident

Sent from my fridge. Make:LG Model:N4

xtreme26
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuu~ View Post

Thats the same issue I'm experiencing, 4.2 Aokp with stock kernel. I also experienced this issue when it was in its vanilla state.

undercover
Old
(Last edited by undercover; 8th January 2013 at 01:49 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4,258
Oh, completely forgot.
To get radio related logcat
Get terminal emulator app
type
Code:
su
logcat -c -b radio
that will clear logcat. Now try to replicate the problem. Once you do (try to do it asap to keep log small) type

Code:
su
logcat -b radio > /sdcard/logcat.txt
That should save it on internal memory root

The Following User Says Thank You to undercover For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]