Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,303 Members 42,356 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lost Root on Stock Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 with 4.4.3 OTA Update...

Tip us?

PiCASSiMO
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Exclamation Lost Root on Stock Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 with 4.4.3 OTA Update...

I lost the root on both of our Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 phones that were stock and updated to 4.4.3 via OTA. I didn't know how to correct it, as I couldn't find any information about it, and realized the solution (at least for me) was relatively simple (copy/paste from Jubakuba's Ultimate Nexus 4 Root Guide)
Obtaining Root Access and Custom Recovery:
Turn on USB Debugging.
To do so; you must first go to Settings>About>Build Number and click seven times.
The actual setting can then be found in Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging
Download the following:
SuperSU (CWM.zip)
CWM (Pick the version for your device)

Place the recovery-clockwork-VERSIONNUMBER-mako.img file into your C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools folder.
Put the SuperSU.zip on your phone.
Open another Command Prompt if it isn't still open. (Navigate to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and shift + right click. Select "Open Command Window Here.")

With your phone plugged in type:

adb reboot bootloader (Hit Enter)

And wait for your phone to boot into the android again.

Now type:

fastboot flash recovery IMAGENAME.img

(Change the file name to the correct file name and Hit Enter)

Once that is finished: select the "Recovery Mode" option again on your phone.
You should get a new recovery menu here. Select "install zip from sd card" and "choose zip from sd card."
Find the SuperSU.zip that you transferred earlier and select "Yes" to installing.
Navigate back to "Reboot" and reboot your phone.
You're now rooted!
The Following User Says Thank You to PiCASSiMO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,156
silly guy.. you will ALWAYS lose root if updating via ota. and you will lose your custom recovery. all you need to do is flash a custom recovery onto your device via fastboot, then flash the latest supersu via the recovery, then boot up. that is all. its much easier to flash the latest rooted stock rom than take an ota.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pjc123
Old
Thanks Meter 39
How is it possible that you don't know how to re-root the phone this time.....if you rooted it previously in the first place? Someone else rooted it originally, bought it used from someone else that rooted it? Perplexing.

playya
Old
Thanks Meter 1,911

DONATE TO ME
hahahaha as I read this I thought the same thing as well. How do you not know how to re-root a Nexus a Nexus? Easiest phone to root and why would you think that upgrading would not remove root.... Its ok it happens OP now in the future you will be more knowledgeable...
DeBloat your AOKP/CM10 fast and pain free click here
---------------------------------------------------
"Hey if you can type it you can search it" - Google is your friend - Let me Google that for you
--------------------------------------------------
Proud owner of a 1+1 What you know bout dat life!

PiCASSiMO
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by playya View Post
hahahaha as I read this I thought the same thing as well. How do you not know how to re-root a Nexus a Nexus? Easiest phone to root and why would you think that upgrading would not remove root.... Its ok it happens OP now in the future you will be more knowledgeable...
You guys need to take it easy on someone who doesn't do this one a daily basis. Consider me a noob, who roots phones once in a blue moon with line-by-line instructions, and the moves on with life until an OTA or something else happens. If the rooting process is enough times, the knowledge eventually sticks, but in my case there are more important things to remember, like my anniversary or the names of my kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to PiCASSiMO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

playya
Old
Thanks Meter 1,911

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCASSiMO View Post
You guys need to take it easy on someone who doesn't do this one a daily basis. Consider me a noob, who roots phones once in a blue moon with line-by-line instructions, and the moves on with life until an OTA or something else happens. If the rooting process is enough times, the knowledge eventually sticks, but in my case there are more important things to remember, like my anniversary or the names of my kids.
I see responses like yours all the time. I'm not saying that this is the most important thing in my life but if I'm going to try in root a piece of equipment that I've paid a decent amount of money for I'm going to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
DeBloat your AOKP/CM10 fast and pain free click here
---------------------------------------------------
"Hey if you can type it you can search it" - Google is your friend - Let me Google that for you
--------------------------------------------------
Proud owner of a 1+1 What you know bout dat life!
The Following User Says Thank You to playya For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]