Mobile data used even when disabled in settings

Tip us?

mara-
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Mobile data used even when disabled in settings

Hi,

I have a Nexus 4 with latest KitKat and franco's kernel. I didn't update via OTA. I keep my mobile data disabled, but it seems that my phone randomly use mobile data. Data graph does not register it, but I can here the noise in my computer speakers, and my stupid mobile provider always sends me SMS when I start using mobile internet, so I know it's using it. So, any idea why this happens and how to stop it? Thanks.

andrew.golby
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mara- View Post
Hi,

I have a Nexus 4 with latest KitKat and franco's kernel. I didn't update via OTA. I keep my mobile data disabled, but it seems that my phone randomly use mobile data. Data graph does not register it, but I can here the noise in my computer speakers, and my stupid mobile provider always sends me SMS when I start using mobile internet, so I know it's using it. So, any idea why this happens and how to stop it? Thanks.
Is it happening when your phone is slipping back into 2G - even if not being used the phone send paging signals to the network every so often - you'll hear it especially before a call or SMS comes in as the network sets up the call. Whilst technically it is transmitting small amounts of paging data it isn't charged to you.

mara-
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.golby View Post
Is it happening when your phone is slipping back into 2G - even if not being used the phone send paging signals to the network every so often - you'll hear it especially before a call or SMS comes in as the network sets up the call. Whilst technically it is transmitting small amounts of paging data it isn't charged to you.
Well, I keep it on 2g only, so that's not what is happening, and I mentioned that I get sms from provider when my mobile data is used. I just upgraded to 4.4.1, so I'll see if it still happens.

In meantime, if anyone has any idea why this might happen, please post.