FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (May 17 – 23)

Another week, another recap. The Sunday tradition marches on this week with a fresh … more

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more

LG G4 First Impressions and Unboxing – XDA TV

The latest in LG’s signature line of “G phones” has been released. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

N4 fell in water, need help/suggestions please :)

11th February 2014, 02:40 PM |#1  
OP Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Alright, so my N4 fell into the water for approx 5 seconds before I picked it up quickly. Turned it off, cleaned it with a dry cloth, and put it in some rice quickly.
Any help/suggestions on what I can do to make sure any major harm doesn't happen to the device? Should I open its back cover to clean or anything?

11th February 2014, 02:44 PM |#2  
Flag Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
Thanks Meter: 231

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrevelations

Alright, so my N4 fell into the water for approx 5 seconds before I picked it up quickly. Turned it off, cleaned it with a dry cloth, and put it in some rice quickly.
Any help/suggestions on what I can do to make sure any major harm doesn't happen to the device? Should I open its back cover to clean or anything?

Let it sit for awhile (a few hours) and see what happens.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3
11th February 2014, 03:25 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 338

More
this probably won't help you but I've got some experience with electric devices and fluids.. they never survive! not in my case anyway..
if you have the tools you could open the case so it can dry better..

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 4 met Tapatalk
11th February 2014, 05:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Leave it to dry completely, so in rice for over 24 hours. After that best thing to do is open it up and clean any corrosion using isopropyl alcohol, pay close attention to connectors and charging port, but avoid getting alcohol on the LCD or in a microphone. Do not try and power on the device until you've done this. You might find the water didn't actually get in, mine was fully submerged for about 1 second and there was no moisture inside at all.
11th February 2014, 06:50 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag New Delhi

More
Thanks all, I'll keep your help and suggestions in mind. I'll keep you guys posted if I have further problems after I take it out of the rice.
12th February 2014, 12:30 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag New Delhi

More
An update : took it outta the rice after 20-22 hours, everything else works fine except microphone. Doesn't work at all. I can use a headset which has a mic then it works. Could I do something about the microphone?
The Following User Says Thank You to mkrevelations For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th February 2014, 01:08 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
In my opinion try another 24 hours in rise. When I submerged mine, I left it for over 48 hours fully covered with rise in a bag on a direct sunlight. Also I've managed to remove the back cover in the first 12 hours, so it was in rise on pieces.
Phone is working without problems so far.
13th February 2014, 02:07 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag New Delhi

More
Update : Went to the service center and got the microphone fixed, they didn't even replace it (like i thought they would) , fixed it in like 5-10 minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to mkrevelations For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 03:51 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrevelations

Update : Went to the service center and got the microphone fixed, they didn't even replace it (like i thought they would) , fixed it in like 5-10 minutes.

Did they tell or show you how?
Might be nice to know in case the dreaded day ever happens
14th February 2014, 01:49 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
How did you open it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nexus 4, water damage
Previous Thread Next Thread