Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 39,973 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

N4 fell in water, need help/suggestions please :)

Tip us?

mkrevelations
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default N4 fell in water, need help/suggestions please :)

Alright, so my N4 fell into the water for approx 5 seconds before I picked it up quickly. Turned it off, cleaned it with a dry cloth, and put it in some rice quickly.
Any help/suggestions on what I can do to make sure any major harm doesn't happen to the device? Should I open its back cover to clean or anything?

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrevelations View Post
Alright, so my N4 fell into the water for approx 5 seconds before I picked it up quickly. Turned it off, cleaned it with a dry cloth, and put it in some rice quickly.
Any help/suggestions on what I can do to make sure any major harm doesn't happen to the device? Should I open its back cover to clean or anything?
Let it sit for awhile (a few hours) and see what happens.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3
Blackberry Bold 9780 OS 7
HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4.2

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if I helped in any way!

Pollie81
Old
Thanks Meter 264
this probably won't help you but I've got some experience with electric devices and fluids.. they never survive! not in my case anyway..
if you have the tools you could open the case so it can dry better..

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 4 met Tapatalk

DrFredPhD
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Leave it to dry completely, so in rice for over 24 hours. After that best thing to do is open it up and clean any corrosion using isopropyl alcohol, pay close attention to connectors and charging port, but avoid getting alcohol on the LCD or in a microphone. Do not try and power on the device until you've done this. You might find the water didn't actually get in, mine was fully submerged for about 1 second and there was no moisture inside at all.

mkrevelations
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Thanks all, I'll keep your help and suggestions in mind. I'll keep you guys posted if I have further problems after I take it out of the rice.

mkrevelations
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
An update : took it outta the rice after 20-22 hours, everything else works fine except microphone. Doesn't work at all. I can use a headset which has a mic then it works. Could I do something about the microphone?
The Following User Says Thank You to mkrevelations For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Travel_Mate
Old
Thanks Meter 20
In my opinion try another 24 hours in rise. When I submerged mine, I left it for over 48 hours fully covered with rise in a bag on a direct sunlight. Also I've managed to remove the back cover in the first 12 hours, so it was in rise on pieces.
Phone is working without problems so far.

mkrevelations
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Update : Went to the service center and got the microphone fixed, they didn't even replace it (like i thought they would) , fixed it in like 5-10 minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to mkrevelations For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrhiab
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrevelations View Post
Update : Went to the service center and got the microphone fixed, they didn't even replace it (like i thought they would) , fixed it in like 5-10 minutes.
Did they tell or show you how?
Might be nice to know in case the dreaded day ever happens
A little thanks goes along ways

dj christian
Old
Thanks Meter 0
How did you open it?

Tags
nexus 4, water damage