Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

Nexus 4 and 7 won't connect to Windows PC

OP the lemming

28th May 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

87 posts
Hello

I have a Nexus 4 Kit Kat 4.4.2 and a Nexus 7 Kit Kat 4.4.2. I also have a Microsoft Windows 7 Desktop computer.

In the past I was able to connect my Nexus 4 phone and Nexus 7 to my Desktop computer with no issues and swap files to the Desktop. These files were usually music MP3 files. However I was able to swap what ever I wanted over.

Today when I connected my Nexus 4 to my Desktop I kept getting error messages every second saying installing drivers or pop up screens asking what to do such as open file. Occasionally I would see Nexus 4 as portable storage but it would vanish within a second. I would also get notification noises every couple of seconds as well.

As far as I am aware I have:

USB debugging ticked
USB computer connection Media device (MTP) ticked

This is all very confusing and frustrating.

As far as I can tell my Desktop, Windows 7 is up to date and that my computer tells me that I have the correct drivers for the Nexus 4.

I have just connected my Nexus 7 to my Desktop and got the error message unknown device. Up till today, I never had a problem with my Nexus 7, but its been a couple of months since I connected them to my Desktop computer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

As an edit

I connected a Gingerbread phone and that would NOT connect to my Desktop

However I connected an ASUS TF300T Jelly Bean 4.2.1 and that connected first time with no problems
Last edited by the lemming; 28th May 2014 at 04:47 PM.
28th May 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,499

10,186 posts
I would try re-installing the drivers. Google 15 second adb drivers xda

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
28th May 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

87 posts
Hello

I have tried to install new drivers from this site and ASUS's own site but I can not.

Windows 7 keeps telling me that I have the most up to date drivers.

Very confusing
28th May 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 52

321 posts
Habe you tried out all your USB ports? Sometimes it refuses to on some ports.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app
28th May 2014, 08:21 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 40

305 posts
More
Connect your device. Open device manger, find device. Right click, properties, driver, uninstall driver (tick checkbox to also uninstall driver software) reinstall driver.
28th May 2014, 09:27 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I have errors like that often on PCs, but mostly Apple Computers when running Parallels/Bootcamp. Installing an reinstalling can work, but also switching between the MTP and camera may help temporarily solve the issue
29th May 2014, 08:04 AM   |  #7  
Flag Koszalin
Thanks Meter: 39

180 posts
More
Get usbdeview and get rid of of all Nexus-like entries, then restart and reconnect, see if that helps. Also did you switch from mtp to camera and back? It did help for me in the past in similar situation.

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 7 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread