5,600,335 Members 35,100 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 4 bootloop after official 4.3 OTA

Tip us?
 
neoantho
Old
(Last edited by neoantho; 5th January 2014 at 12:13 AM.)
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 36
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Paris
Question [Q] Nexus 4 bootloop after official 4.3 OTA

Hi!

I just bought a Nexus 4 with broken touch screen which I replaced myself.
After I replaced it, I decided to start fresh and updated the device directly to stock 4.4 using fastboot commands and got stuck in bootloop (4 circles going on for hours).

Then I tried different factory images and managed to boot under official Android 4.2.2 and it worked flawlessly until I tried to update with 4.3 OTA (with radio .83)

I found out that downgrading radio from .83 to .48 (or .53) allows the device to boot under Android 4.3.
I'm now stuck at this stage because the same trick does not work after 4.4 OTA (from 4.3).

The issue seems to be acknowledged by Google but they don't seem to have an official software fix for it since they only go for a replacement.
I'm considering an RMA but since I replaced the screen myself, I'm facing the risk to be charged 200€ if my warranty gets void (if they really control the device as they say).

Anyone managed to fix this issue? It seems to be linked to the radio (can't go further than radio .48 / .53)?
SE x10i - Cyanogen7
HTC One S black (S4) - SourcE 2.1 - S-Off
Google/LG Nexus 4 - CM11 4.4.2 - Franco Kernel
Google/Asus Nexus 7 (2012) - Stock 4.4.2
 
neoantho
Old
#2  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 36
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Paris
Just found out that the jack/proximity/light sensor wasn't properly connected, probably after the screen replacement. It now boots under 4.4.2

Found people with the same issue on this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2595283
Just ended up reading it but my researches did not drive there earlier.

To conclude, bootloop under 4.3 and 4.4 can be related to a faulty (or just disconnected) sensor.
SE x10i - Cyanogen7
HTC One S black (S4) - SourcE 2.1 - S-Off
Google/LG Nexus 4 - CM11 4.4.2 - Franco Kernel
Google/Asus Nexus 7 (2012) - Stock 4.4.2
The Following User Says Thank You to neoantho For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
varun037
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 17
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoantho View Post
Just found out that the jack/proximity/light sensor wasn't properly connected, probably after the screen replacement. It now boots under 4.4.2

Found people with the same issue on this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2595283
Just ended up reading it but my researches did not drive there earlier.

To conclude, bootloop under 4.3 and 4.4 can be related to a faulty (or just disconnected) sensor.
I confirm my nexus also bootloops on android version >= 4.3.0 due to faulty sensor.

Basis of conclusion:
My nexus 4 also started bootloop suddenly. I tried installing 4.4.2 and even 4.3 from factory images but everytime it stuck at boot animation. The only version currently working is 4.2. I always used a software called smart cover but it started mus-behaving. so i downloading phone tester and proximity sensor finder from play store, both the programs told me they were waiting for sensor/they did not get data from proximity and light sensor.

Question:
is there any way to update to 4.4.2 without being stuck at bootloop without replacing the sensor?


thanks in advance!
 
m.rehman028
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun037 View Post
I confirm my nexus also bootloops on android version >= 4.3.0 due to faulty sensor.

Basis of conclusion:
My nexus 4 also started bootloop suddenly. I tried installing 4.4.2 and even 4.3 from factory images but everytime it stuck at boot animation. The only version currently working is 4.2. I always used a software called smart cover but it started mus-behaving. so i downloading phone tester and proximity sensor finder from play store, both the programs told me they were waiting for sensor/they did not get data from proximity and light sensor.

Question:
is there any way to update to 4.4.2 without being stuck at bootloop without replacing the sensor?


thanks in advance!
Did you find a solution?
 
varun037
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 17
Join Date: Oct 2007
Not yet. I will definitely post if I am able to find one. Researching on the topic currently.
 
platis
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jan 2011
I've got the same problem with 4.3 bootloop. Could this be fixed with custom rom?
 
varun037
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 17
Join Date: Oct 2007
Try flashing 4.2.2 rom - custom or stock
 
platis
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jan 2011
I'm with 4.2.2... and that's not what I asked. I want 4.4.2. Is it possible to load custom kit kat with this kind of sensor problems?
 
varun037
Old
(Last edited by varun037; 7th March 2014 at 05:20 AM.)
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 17
Join Date: Oct 2007
Update:
I have been trying to update nexus. I tried to install radio version 98 and bootloader from 4.4.2 version to android 4.2.2 without updating system image. it works. so i think basically the issue is with the system image itself. looking for the patched system image now or a developer who can patch system image to ignore the faulty sensors.
 
Siddheshpatil
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 46
Posts: 68
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mumbai
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun037 View Post
Update:
I have been trying to update nexus. I tried to install radio version 98 and bootloader from 4.4.2 version to android 4.2.2 without updating system image. it works. so i think basically the issue is with the system image itself. looking for the patched system image now or a developer who can patch system image to ignore the faulty sensors.
I'm on 4.3 and the sensors dont work ... the proximity, gyro... nothing works... any solution?
Samsung Galaxy S3- GT-I9300
4.4. CyanogenMod 11
Recovery: CWM6
Memory: 16GB + 16GB

Earlier Works:
Nokia 5233 CFW Storm, Firebolt ( C6 based Symbian^1 ports)

Feel free to Hit the thanks button if I was of any help.

My phones:
Nokia 2300 > Nokia 2626 > Nokia 5310 >Nokia N73> Nokia 5233 > Samsung Galaxy SIII

Tags
4.3, boot loop, bootloop, nexus 4, radio .84
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Intelligently Place Contacts on Your Home Screen with CallWho Widget

There are plenty of ways to get your contacts to show up on your … more

Control TWRP from within Android with TWRP Coordinator

You may recall that back when TWRP2 introduced a couple of years ago, it brought with … more

Keep Track of Everything Your Device Does with Event Logger

Regardless of their OS choice, computing power users generally share one common … more

A More Competitive Spin on the Addictive 2048 Puzzle

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we talked about a rather interesting take on … more