Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Smile [Q] I need help with the latest OTA

OP thehyecircus

2nd July 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

529 posts
Hey guys, I have LTE enabled so OTA updates do not work. I need some help with my options for flashing.

In the past, I flashed my Nexus 4 with MinimalABD, taking the ROM apart and flashing over certain folders to keep my data intact. I don't know if that method will work on 4.4. I also don't know what we need to do to get LTE on this latest update (as in, if anything has changed.)

Could someone help me? It's really just the constant "You have an update" that is bugging me. I don't think anything fun happens in this latest OTA. Hopefully this is the last OTA for me as I want the predicted new Nexus come December!! And it would be great to get a Nexus phone I can actually get OTA updates for without issue!!

I haven't backed my data up in a while, I probably should do that too. (Also, regaining root after a flash, anyone have a reliable method for that? And for tethering on T-Mobile.)
2nd July 2014, 11:23 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 17

116 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehyecircus

Hey guys, I have LTE enabled so OTA updates do not work. I need some help with my options for flashing.

In the past, I flashed my Nexus 4 with MinimalABD, taking the ROM apart and flashing over certain folders to keep my data intact. I don't know if that method will work on 4.4. I also don't know what we need to do to get LTE on this latest update (as in, if anything has changed.)

In case:
a. the bootloader is unlocked and you can start Nexus 4/7 in fastboot mode
b. N4/7 is connected to a PC
c. you can get response from N4/7 with a command in a Dosbox: fastboot devices

You could flash the update manually.
Download the required factory image and the Nexus Root Toolkit (NRT) of Wugfresh.
Install NRT and extract the required factory image in a directory of your choice.

In that directory you need the files: fastboot.exe - AdbWinApi.dll - AdbWinUsbApi.dll
Copy those files from the NRT.
From the extracted factory image you need the required zip file extracted from the factory image.

Example Nexus 4: image-occam-ktu84p.zip
  • Connect the phone to USB. Use NRT to put the phone in fastboot mode.
  • Open the above directory in a dosbox as administrator.
  • Type the required command to update.
  • For N4: fastboot update image-occam-ktu8p.zip

Remark 1.
After that root is gone. Reroot with the NRT of wugfresh.

Remark 2, flashing the radio.
When you extract the factory image for N4 there is also an update image for the radio.
You can flash the N4 with: fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.03.img
But on my N4 the LTE tricks does not work. For LTE you need an older version of the radio image.

Remark 3.
I used this manually method to avoid the hassle of backup and restore.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread