Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,877 Members 50,863 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wugs Nexus Root Toolkit stuck on "ADB Device Not Found"

Tip us?

nl393a
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Wugs Nexus Root Toolkit stuck on "ADB Device Not Found"

Hi,

I tried a lot of other rooting applications and have had no luck with any of them. Then I found Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit. It works for my Nexus 4 (Jelly Bean 4.3) - until I came to the "Full Driver Configuration Guide" - where it gives a message: "ADB device was not found".

I have tried it over several times to no avail. Can anyone offer any clues as to what may be causing this?

btw, I am running the Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.2 on Windows 8.

Thank you,

David

aaronwebstey
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I was just having the same problem, and I realized after a while that I was making the STUPID mistake of not noticing that my phone was asking me to confirm USB debugging when the toolkit started searching for ADB devices. If you're as big of a dummy as I am (or just having an off day), this may be your problem
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronwebstey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nikkilocke
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwebstey View Post
I was just having the same problem, and I realized after a while that I was making the STUPID mistake of not noticing that my phone was asking me to confirm USB debugging when the toolkit started searching for ADB devices. If you're as big of a dummy as I am (or just having an off day), this may be your problem
I am having the same problem. Where/how does the phone ask you to confirm USB debugging? It asks me when I turn it on, but not again later.

I have tried 3 or 4 different drivers, but, although the device is recognised by Windows 8, it is not recognised by Root Toolkit.

studacris
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,068

DONATE TO ME
.... toolkits are the the devil...
They promote not learning what you're doing or what's actually happening in your devices so... there's posts like this.

please read this thread before touching your device
What's the best nation on Earth?
DONATION!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studacris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nikkilocke
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by studacris View Post
.... toolkits are the the devil...
They promote not learning what you're doing or what's actually happening in your devices so... there's posts like this.

please read this thread before touching your device
I'm not quite sure how this was supposed to help. My problem is that the ADB drivers do not seem to work on my computer. I have just tried installing the Android SDK (which comes with its own ADB drivers), having first uninstalled all the existing drivers. It did not help.

Not entirely sure where to go from here.

studacris
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,068

DONATE TO ME
PDAnet's drivers may work. Simply install PDAnet (after uninstalling any previous attempted driver installations) to get the drivers.
DONATION!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studacris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nikkilocke
Old
(Last edited by nikkilocke; 18th September 2013 at 02:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
PDAnet's drivers may work. Simply install PDAnet (after uninstalling any previous attempted driver installations) to get the drivers.
I had installed PDANet from within Root Toolkit, and it didn't work. Just now, I uninstalled everything again, and installed PDANet from their web site. Still get no ADB device in Root Toolkit. [NB I didn't have PDANet on the phone, but it seems to be there now]

I tried running adb from the android SDK, and it says "error: device not found".

However, I noted there was an adb prompt on the phone when I first plugged it in, this time (which I told to always accept).

[Later]
Wierd - it is now a bit further on. This is what I did:
Started PDANet on the phone, and enabled USB tethering.
Started PDANet on the computer, and it connected to the phone. At this point the USB debugging permission thing came up again, and I accepted it (also ticking the box to always accept).
Unticked USB tethering on the phone again.
Stopped PDANet on the computer (right click on icon, exit).
Tried the Root Toolkit again (pressed Root button), it connected to the device, and put it into fastboot mode.
The boot loader appeared on the phone, and the computer said "Checking Fastboot Status".
It seemed to stay like that for ever.

Killed the root toolkit. and tried again.
Left the computer for a while, and when I came back, it had completed.

So, it seems to be working now.

studacris
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,068

DONATE TO ME
And when you try using fastboot directly instead of the toolkit....... what happens?
DONATION!
The Following User Says Thank You to studacris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cmajetic
Old
Thanks Meter 624
changing MTP to camera in USB connection mode did it for me...with MTP it showed correctly in device manager but the toolkit didn't recognise it

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 4
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cmajetic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nikkilocke
Old
(Last edited by nikkilocke; 18th September 2013 at 06:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
And when you try using fastboot directly instead of the toolkit....... what happens?
I type "fastboot reboot" at the command prompt.
It replies "< waiting for device >"

I wait a few minutes.
Then I press ^C and the command prompt returns.

P.S. Changing the USB connection to camera doesn't make any difference to the above.