Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 47,173 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 4 don't charge, just recovery

Tip us?

Jerber
Old
(Last edited by Jerber; 23rd May 2014 at 04:25 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Exclamation Nexus 4 don't charge, just recovery

A guy wants to change his Nexus 4 for my actual phone, but here is the problem:

Seems like in the middle of an update to 4.4 the phone turned off suddenly

*The phone donīt charge but the battery icon shows up
*If you connect it to the charger you can enter to the recovery

*If you connects it to the PC you can see that it connects to "google nexus 4 bootloader image"

So, is the problem reversible? I dont want to change my phone for another with no possible repair, the guy thinks the battery is the problem

What do you think guy? Do I accept the change or is too risky?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Oxious119
Old
(Last edited by Oxious119; 23rd May 2014 at 03:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 50
If the phone gets recognized on your computer while in the boot loader (the menu you see on your picture posted) you can just flash the official Google factory image. This should make the phone running again.
It seems during the 4.4 update something went wrong seeing the phones still on the .27 baseband and old version of the boot loader.

Please search the forums to on how to flash factory images using fastboot mode. There are plenty of easy manuals here.

PS: do not post the phones serial number (like on your picture). Bad people can do bad stuff

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Jerber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxious119 View Post
If the phone gets recognized on your computer while in the boot loader (the menu you see on your picture posted) you can just flash the official Google factory image. This should make the phone running again.
It seems during the 4.4 update something went wrong seeing the phones still on the .27 baseband and old version of the boot loader.

Please search the forums to on how to flash factory images using fastboot mode. There are plenty of easy manuals here.

PS: do not post the phones serial number (like on your picture). Bad people can do bad stuff

I didnt know about the serial number, I will delete the pic, but I dont know what people can do with it (if you explain to me)

So, if is safe to restore the phone I should make the change righ? what do you think? Thanks for your help!

Oxious119
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Well, if the phone doesn't work at the moment why don't you try to make it work before you decide to trade?

I'm not entirely sure but I think the serial number is important for warranty claims and such. But generally you shouldn't let anyone know your phones serial or imei number, there's no legal/harmless reason anyone needs to know.

Jerber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxious119 View Post
Well, if the phone doesn't work at the moment why don't you try to make it work before you decide to trade?

I'm not entirely sure but I think the serial number is important for warranty claims and such. But generally you shouldn't let anyone know your phones serial or imei number, there's no legal/harmless reason anyone needs to know.

The problem is that he just want to change, he is not going to give it to me for try, for that reason I was thinking if I should do the change or not, seems like if you plug the phone to the power you can enter to the recovery like you see in the pic, but im not still sure, if Im sure about fix the phone I will do the change, but I have no way to know it :/

Can I do something just from the recovery for know if the phone have a solution? (without a pc)

Oxious119
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Well, why wouldn't he let you try to fix it first. No way to tell if it can definetly be fixed if you can't even try.

Jerber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Well, I'll try to do something, hope I can fix it, I have a few hours to decide if I do the change.
Thanks buddy, I'll tell you later about my decision!.

Jerber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Finally I saw the phone in person; if you plug it to the power it just blink the red led, you can access to the boot loader, and if you try to start the system the phone just show the google splash and then just turn off, I wasn't really sure about the change so I finally said no at least for now.