Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] For those with their Nexus 4, is the earpiece making a screeching noise?

OP losimagic

15th November 2012, 11:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

35 posts
If I place my Nexus 4 against my ear, I can hear high pitched screeching and some popping coming from the earpiece, even when a call is not taking place. At first I thought it was a heat issue, maybe some capacitors or something getting a bit hot and whistling, so I turned the phone off and the noises stopped instantly.

This is pretty annoying and surely shouldn't be happening
The Following User Says Thank You to losimagic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 03:22 PM   |  #2  

13 posts
Yes, mine too
Quote:
Originally Posted by losimagic

If I place my Nexus 4 against my ear, I can hear high pitched screeching and some popping coming from the earpiece, even when a call is not taking place. At first I thought it was a heat issue, maybe some capacitors or something getting a bit hot and whistling, so I turned the phone off and the noises stopped instantly.

This is pretty annoying and surely shouldn't be happening

I'm glad you posted that, mine does it too - and I thought I had a faulty phone.
According to support I'm the first to report such a problem, have you called support about it? - 0800 328 6081.
The more of us that call, the better the chance it's sorted (if it's possible).

I can't live with that noise, it's too loud for me as I have sensitive hearing on interference like that.
So it looks like I'm sending mine back for a refund and go buy a S3

It does sound like poor build quality in suppressing electrical interference to the ear speaker, as you say capacitors or even a processor is leaking noise to that speaker in the same way cell/mobile radio causes to external speakers when brought close to them.
15th November 2012, 03:26 PM   |  #3  
Flag Toronto Ontario
Thanks Meter: 407

1,864 posts
More
WOW so many problems already with this thing!!! I don't know about this phone right now
15th November 2012, 05:46 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshea

I'm glad you posted that, mine does it too - and I thought I had a faulty phone.
According to support I'm the first to report such a problem, have you called support about it? - 0800 328 6081.
The more of us that call, the better the chance it's sorted (if it's possible).

I can't live with that noise, it's too loud for me as I have sensitive hearing on interference like that.
So it looks like I'm sending mine back for a refund and go buy a S3

It does sound like poor build quality in suppressing electrical interference to the ear speaker, as you say capacitors or even a processor is leaking noise to that speaker in the same way cell/mobile radio causes to external speakers when brought close to them.

I returned it to the store for a refund - they refused to swap it for another as they couldn't hear it > . I've ordered another which I should get tomorrow, and if that has the same issue I'm not sure what to do - it doesn't really sound like something that can be fixed through software, does it?

I asked on another forum and one person replied saying that there's was ok, but maybe they're ears just aren't as sensitive as ours.

I remember as a kid, I could hear CRT TVs from a long way off (no sound was coming through the speakers) and nobody else could.
15th November 2012, 05:54 PM   |  #5  

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losimagic

I returned it to the store for a refund - they refused to swap it for another as they couldn't hear it > . I've ordered another which I should get tomorrow, and if that has the same issue I'm not sure what to do - it doesn't really sound like something that can be fixed through software, does it?

I asked on another forum and one person replied saying that there's was ok, but maybe they're ears just aren't as sensitive as ours.

I remember as a kid, I could hear CRT TVs from a long way off (no sound was coming through the speakers) and nobody else could.

I think you're right, I too always heard a CRT working (I still can when I see one working!)
Maybe we're hearing interference the average user is not going to hear.

If anyone else is reading this and owns a Nexus 4, try calling your voicemail (which I assume would be free for you) - during the call wait for a few seconds and listen carefully, it's more obvious when you're not talking and in a call.
The noise is almost like having a small fly trapped between the phone and your ear at times, it also reminds me of the noise a hard drive makes at times and most of us know what that sounds like.
15th November 2012, 05:55 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshea

I think you're right, I too always heard a CRT working (I still can when I see one working!)
Maybe we're hearing interference the average user is not going to hear.

If anyone else is reading this and owns a Nexus 4, try calling your voicemail (which I assume would be free for you) - during the call wait for a few seconds and listen carefully, it's more obvious when you're not talking and in a call.
The noise is almost like having a small fly trapped between the phone and your ear at times, it also reminds me of the noise a hard drive makes at times and most of us know what that sounds like.

I got it even when I wasn't on a call - a few seconds after powering up the phone and it was there
15th November 2012, 06:08 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

132 posts
You guys are nerds

No, I can feel your pain! Hopefully you guys can sort this out and this is in general not a common problem with the N4.
16th November 2012, 09:22 AM   |  #8  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 150

834 posts
More
i don't have this issue
16th November 2012, 11:32 AM   |  #9  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 105

741 posts
Donate to Me
More
It seems to be an issue with the electromagnetic shielding. I get this problem when I am next to my sound system and amplifier. Those things arent shielded. Now in school where theres basically nothing else here my earpiece is completely clean. Not even a hiss.
16th November 2012, 11:47 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 17

123 posts
does it also emit a sound when it is swithced on, but the screen is off? i remember i had sth. like this (high-pitched sound) on my first google nexus s, but it was clearly coming from the screen rather than the earpiece.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread