Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] For those with their Nexus 4, is the earpiece making a screeching noise?

OP losimagic

15th November 2012, 11:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
If I place my Nexus 4 against my ear, I can hear high pitched screeching and some popping coming from the earpiece, even when a call is not taking place. At first I thought it was a heat issue, maybe some capacitors or something getting a bit hot and whistling, so I turned the phone off and the noises stopped instantly.

This is pretty annoying and surely shouldn't be happening
The Following User Says Thank You to losimagic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 03:22 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Yes, mine too
Quote:
Originally Posted by losimagic

If I place my Nexus 4 against my ear, I can hear high pitched screeching and some popping coming from the earpiece, even when a call is not taking place. At first I thought it was a heat issue, maybe some capacitors or something getting a bit hot and whistling, so I turned the phone off and the noises stopped instantly.

This is pretty annoying and surely shouldn't be happening

I'm glad you posted that, mine does it too - and I thought I had a faulty phone.
According to support I'm the first to report such a problem, have you called support about it? - 0800 328 6081.
The more of us that call, the better the chance it's sorted (if it's possible).

I can't live with that noise, it's too loud for me as I have sensitive hearing on interference like that.
So it looks like I'm sending mine back for a refund and go buy a S3

It does sound like poor build quality in suppressing electrical interference to the ear speaker, as you say capacitors or even a processor is leaking noise to that speaker in the same way cell/mobile radio causes to external speakers when brought close to them.
15th November 2012, 03:26 PM   |  #3  
yyz71's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto Ontario
Thanks Meter: 407
 
1,864 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
WOW so many problems already with this thing!!! I don't know about this phone right now
15th November 2012, 05:46 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshea

I'm glad you posted that, mine does it too - and I thought I had a faulty phone.
According to support I'm the first to report such a problem, have you called support about it? - 0800 328 6081.
The more of us that call, the better the chance it's sorted (if it's possible).

I can't live with that noise, it's too loud for me as I have sensitive hearing on interference like that.
So it looks like I'm sending mine back for a refund and go buy a S3

It does sound like poor build quality in suppressing electrical interference to the ear speaker, as you say capacitors or even a processor is leaking noise to that speaker in the same way cell/mobile radio causes to external speakers when brought close to them.

I returned it to the store for a refund - they refused to swap it for another as they couldn't hear it > . I've ordered another which I should get tomorrow, and if that has the same issue I'm not sure what to do - it doesn't really sound like something that can be fixed through software, does it?

I asked on another forum and one person replied saying that there's was ok, but maybe they're ears just aren't as sensitive as ours.

I remember as a kid, I could hear CRT TVs from a long way off (no sound was coming through the speakers) and nobody else could.
15th November 2012, 05:54 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by losimagic

I returned it to the store for a refund - they refused to swap it for another as they couldn't hear it > . I've ordered another which I should get tomorrow, and if that has the same issue I'm not sure what to do - it doesn't really sound like something that can be fixed through software, does it?

I asked on another forum and one person replied saying that there's was ok, but maybe they're ears just aren't as sensitive as ours.

I remember as a kid, I could hear CRT TVs from a long way off (no sound was coming through the speakers) and nobody else could.

I think you're right, I too always heard a CRT working (I still can when I see one working!)
Maybe we're hearing interference the average user is not going to hear.

If anyone else is reading this and owns a Nexus 4, try calling your voicemail (which I assume would be free for you) - during the call wait for a few seconds and listen carefully, it's more obvious when you're not talking and in a call.
The noise is almost like having a small fly trapped between the phone and your ear at times, it also reminds me of the noise a hard drive makes at times and most of us know what that sounds like.
15th November 2012, 05:55 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshea

I think you're right, I too always heard a CRT working (I still can when I see one working!)
Maybe we're hearing interference the average user is not going to hear.

If anyone else is reading this and owns a Nexus 4, try calling your voicemail (which I assume would be free for you) - during the call wait for a few seconds and listen carefully, it's more obvious when you're not talking and in a call.
The noise is almost like having a small fly trapped between the phone and your ear at times, it also reminds me of the noise a hard drive makes at times and most of us know what that sounds like.

I got it even when I wasn't on a call - a few seconds after powering up the phone and it was there
15th November 2012, 06:08 PM   |  #7  
florian3000's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
132 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
You guys are nerds

No, I can feel your pain! Hopefully you guys can sort this out and this is in general not a common problem with the N4.
16th November 2012, 09:22 AM   |  #8  
n7of9's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 150
 
834 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
i don't have this issue
16th November 2012, 11:32 AM   |  #9  
raze599's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 105
 
741 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
More
It seems to be an issue with the electromagnetic shielding. I get this problem when I am next to my sound system and amplifier. Those things arent shielded. Now in school where theres basically nothing else here my earpiece is completely clean. Not even a hiss.
16th November 2012, 11:47 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
123 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
does it also emit a sound when it is swithced on, but the screen is off? i remember i had sth. like this (high-pitched sound) on my first google nexus s, but it was clearly coming from the screen rather than the earpiece.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes