5,596,354 Members 38,912 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 4 Factory Reset - ALL memory wiped?

Tip us?

Karole1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 4 Factory Reset - ALL memory wiped?

OK this seems like a silly question but when I Google Nexus 4 factory reset, all I get are instructions on how to do this, and the warning that all memory will be wiped, to include pictures, videos, etc.

When you perform FR (hardwipe or regular) on the Nexus 4, does it wipe the sdcard folder? I went into the menu to do this, and was surprised to see that it says it would--I'm used to having a separate SD card in my Nexus S, and as such I never needed to backup all that extra stuff. It was way more convenient to FR the phone and simply redownload the apps I used. Even the save data from those apps would stored on the SD card and be ready to go.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karole1 View Post
OK this seems like a silly question but when I Google Nexus 4 factory reset, all I get are instructions on how to do this, and the warning that all memory will be wiped, to include pictures, videos, etc.

When you perform FR (hardwipe or regular) on the Nexus 4, does it wipe the sdcard folder? I went into the menu to do this, and was surprised to see that it says it would--I'm used to having a separate SD card in my Nexus S, and as such I never needed to backup all that extra stuff. It was way more convenient to FR the phone and simply redownload the apps I used. Even the save data from those apps would stored on the SD card and be ready to go.
From my experience, it erases everything on sdcard0. With an phone that has a external memory slot, it would be sdcard1 which is not erased during a reset.

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karole1 View Post

The one thing you have to remember, if you do a factory reset via settings, it will wipe everything! If you do a factory reset via the recovery, it will wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik, but NOT your sdcard or System. This is using TWRP as the custom recovery btw. The reason it doesn't wipe the system is when you flash a custom rom, the system will be wiped automatically.

Edit: Using cwm recovery, a factory reset doesn't wipe your sdcard as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)
Blackberry Bold 9780 OS 7
HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4.2

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if I helped in any way!