5,606,201 Members 33,876 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 4: How's that glass back holding up?

Tip us?

cb474
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Default Nexus 4: How's that glass back holding up?

For people who have the Nexus 4, I'm wondering how that glass back is holding up?

The review unit at The Verge already has a small crack, from when it was accidentally knocked off of a table. And Android Central, in their review, said they were already seeing hairlines scratches on the back. I was also in a T-Mobile store today looking at their demo unit, which had a few hairline scratches on the back (even though they just got the phone today).

The glass back is one part of the build of the phone that I a bit worried about in the long run (after all, it didn't work out so well on the iPhone 4).

Thanks for any comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to cb474 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Capt.PP
Old
Thanks Meter 84
This should be in Q&A thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt.PP For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jacklebott
Old
Thanks Meter 490
Apparently one of the people on this forum that got the device early, dropped it and the back broke
Cool Nexus 4 Gaming Thread
Past Device(s):
Apple iPod Touch 3G
Motorola Backflip MB300
Present Device(s):
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800x; WiFi-only, FW 2.3.7 [NXT Light]+[LuPuS-GB]
LG Nexus⁴ E960; AT&T, FW 4.2.1 [ParanoidAndroid AOSPA]+[Faux123 Kernel]

"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die."

AlleN7
Old
Thanks Meter 16
omigosh, maybe I'll just wait for the next Nexus.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlleN7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KyraOfFire
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Ouch.... I ordered screen protector for front and back, and a soft case but they won't come until later this month.

I guess I will have to stick with my old g2 for a while?
Nexus 5 - CWM Touch - franco.Kernel

Retired
HTC Vision - Adromadus Audacity Beta 5 - 4EXT

Nexus 4 - CWM Touch - franco.Kernel

Graveyard
Samsung Galaxy S
LG GS505
Samsung SGH-T819
Nokia 2610
Samsung X160

dyslexicpenguin
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Why is everyone so worried about the BACK glass breaking? If I dropped the phone I'd be a whole lot more concerned over the front SCREEN breaking. The glass on the back cracking would be annoying, but it won't hurt the function of the phone. The front breaking obviously would, and every single smartphone has a glass screen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dyslexicpenguin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jacklebott
Old
Thanks Meter 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexicpenguin View Post
Why is everyone so worried about the BACK glass breaking? If I dropped the phone I'd be a whole lot more concerned over the front SCREEN breaking. The glass on the back cracking would be annoying, but it won't hurt the function of the phone. The front breaking obviously would, and every single smartphone has a glass screen.
Shattered glass in your hands is bad either way
Cool Nexus 4 Gaming Thread
Past Device(s):
Apple iPod Touch 3G
Motorola Backflip MB300
Present Device(s):
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800x; WiFi-only, FW 2.3.7 [NXT Light]+[LuPuS-GB]
LG Nexus⁴ E960; AT&T, FW 4.2.1 [ParanoidAndroid AOSPA]+[Faux123 Kernel]

"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jacklebott For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stratax
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklebott View Post
Shattered glass in your hands is bad either way
if it breaks just get a case or skin for it lol
The Following User Says Thank You to stratax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

matrix0886
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I'm curious how well it'd hold up with a Zagg Invisi-Shield on it...if it would still crack simply from shock or not. Either way, i'll still get a bumper case for the phone simply out of paranoia, lol. I drop my phones like crazy. It's amazing how crazy I am over gadgets and protecting them, yet they still seem to slip from my desk/car/hand :P

I think i'm going to give this phone 2 months before I invest any money into it. I'd rather play it smart and wait than to be "cool" because I was the first to get one (which honestly, nobody really gives a **** about, lol). I had friends who were all "hey, hey look. I got the new 'insertnewphonehere'. I'm one of the first people to get one" and everyone else was like "......um, ok. You want a prize or something?" lol
Phone: LG Nexus 4, JB 4.3, Rooted
Launcher: Apex Launcher
Boot Animation: glowing Iron Man Mark II Reactor
Backup and Recovery: TWRP

Tablet: Nexus 7, KK 4.4, Rooted
Launcher: Nova Launcher

cb474
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexicpenguin View Post
Yes, every single smartphone does have a glass screen, which is why there would be no point asking this question about any particular phone. It's a necessity and it's not a reason one is going to choose one phone over another.

But there's no reason the back of the Nexus 4 has to be glass, so it is relevant to consider how durable it's going to be when comparing it to other phones. Why effectively double a risk (of a glass part breaking), if it's not necessary?

It's also possible that the back of the Nexus 4 is not as durable as the typical screen. It is interesting that all of the stories of breaking and scratches, so far, are on the back phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to cb474 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]