XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 4 OTA update failure

Tip us?

ykram
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 4 OTA update failure

Kit-Kat OTA came out for my Nexus 4 today and I went to apply it but during the install it errored out and the phone subsequently enters a boot loop. I can get into a recovery shell and attempt to push the update via sideload but I get an error:

Symlinks and permissions...
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I'm 99% sure there's a binary in /system/xbin/ or /system/bin/ thats set immutable (chattr +i) causing this to fail but I can't launch an adb shell from recovery to fix this. Can anybody help me out here?

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 23rd November 2013 at 02:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykram View Post
Kit-Kat OTA came out for my Nexus 4 today and I went to apply it but during the install it errored out and the phone subsequently enters a boot loop. I can get into a recovery shell and attempt to push the update via sideload but I get an error:

Symlinks and permissions...
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I'm 99% sure there's a binary in /system/xbin/ or /system/bin/ thats set immutable (chattr +i) causing this to fail but I can't launch an adb shell from recovery to fix this. Can anybody help me out here?
Are you using stock recovery to do this?

You pretty much explained why, but if you had rooted the phone it could fail due to other reasons too.

If you have an unlocked bootloader then you can boot TWRP (not install, but boot by fastboot boot twrp.img), it have its own terminal and you can go in and chattr -i that file.

Or with unlocked bootloader you just "fastboot format system" and flash the full system.img from the factory image. Or use TWRP to flash a stock rom.

I don't see how else you could have ran a chattr command to the /system without root. But without an unlocked bootloader you pretty much only have the choice of factory reset or unlock the bootloader in which both will wipe all data. But I'm pretty sure beside fastboot erase and format, not even factory reset in recovery could get rid of an immutable file. There is no adb access in stock recovery beside adb sideload signed packages (otherwise every android phones will be very unsecure).

ykram
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol View Post
Are you using stock recovery to do this?

You pretty much explained why, but if you had rooted the phone it could fail due to other reasons too.

If you have an unlocked bootloader then you can boot TWRP (not install, but boot by fastboot boot twrp.img), it have its own terminal and you can go in and chattr -i that file.

Or with unlocked bootloader you just "fastboot format system" and flash the full system.img from the factory image. Or use TWRP to flash a stock rom.

I don't see how else you could have ran a chattr command to the /system without root. But without an unlocked bootloader you pretty much only have the choice of factory reset or unlock the bootloader in which both will wipe all data. But I'm pretty sure beside fastboot erase and format, not even factory reset in recovery could get rid of an immutable file. There is no adb access in stock recovery beside adb sideload signed packages (otherwise every android phones will be very unsecure).
Unfortunately, you're correct. I was rooted at one point and had an old 'su' binary around that was immutable, completely forgotten about. My bootloader is stock atm and I'm still stuck on 'no command' I'm accepting the inevitability that I'll have to wipe and start over but I'm not even sure how to flash the factory firmware now since I'm either stuck in a 'Google' boot loop or I get 'no command'.

Any suggestions?

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykram View Post
Unfortunately, you're correct. I was rooted at one point and had an old 'su' binary around that was immutable, completely forgotten about. My bootloader is stock atm and I'm still stuck on 'no command' I'm accepting the inevitability that I'll have to wipe and start over but I'm not even sure how to flash the factory firmware now since I'm either stuck in a 'Google' boot loop or I get 'no command'.

Any suggestions?
When you see no command that is normal. To bring up the stock recovery menu, while holding Power first, press Volume Up.

Google bootloop have nothing to do with flashing factory image since it required using fastboot in fastboot mode (not in recovery), aka the bootloader menu. Links in my signature have instructions to flash factory image.
The Following User Says Thank You to eksasol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ykram
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol View Post
When you see no command that is normal. To bring up the stock recovery menu, while holding Power first, press Volume Up.

Google bootloop have nothing to do with flashing factory image since it required using fastboot in fastboot mode (not in recovery), aka the bootloader menu. Links in my signature have instructions to flash factory image.

Cool, gotch ya. Many thanks for the response and help.