5,600,053 Members 42,473 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart

Tip us?

jhock
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I can't seem to find it right now, but there is another thread on this topic wherein the OP suggests that there is something physically wrong with some phones. He actually has a video with a proposed fix that has worked for some people.

I am suspicious that it is a hardware problem because my unit has been fine for the past 2 1/2 months. I am running stock, unrooted and was without a case until two days ago. I've made no recent changes to apps or settings. The only change was that put a bumper on and my phone has suddenly started shutting down and remaining unresponsive for a period of time. The battery is always at least half charged (before and after the event). After it decides to come back on, it is as if nothing happened. It doesn't really strike me as a software issue, it is more like the battery suddenly disconnects.

varshil
Old
Thanks Meter 382
Default Re: [Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart

If phone becomes hot, theres a defense mechanism in which our kernel will make phone run at lower clocks which eventually gets our phone into sleep of death. So try one thing. If ever ur phone gets hot, dnt lock the screen and keep it on a cold surface, and once it get cold, press the lock button. See the diff!!
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
CURRENT ROM- slimkat

CURRENT KERNEL- Faux V4

algus
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by varshil View Post
If phone becomes hot, theres a defense mechanism in which our kernel will make phone run at lower clocks which eventually gets our phone into sleep of death. So try one thing. If ever ur phone gets hot, dnt lock the screen and keep it on a cold surface, and once it get cold, press the lock button. See the diff!!
It turns off at night while in standby mode, charger unplugged and battery has 30-70% left. With stock everything and default settings. Why should it overheat? Only if stock firmware has such bug.
Alexander
---
Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC One SV
LG Nexus 4
Asus Nexus 7

varshil
Old
Thanks Meter 382
Default Re: [Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by algus View Post
It turns off at night while in standby mode, charger unplugged and battery has 30-70% left. With stock everything and default settings. Why should it overheat? Only if stock firmware has such bug.
My phone does over heat at times and only after that it goes to sleep of death.. When you charge your phone, the phone gets heated too... Do you charge your phone at night before going to sleep?

CURRENT ROM- slimkat

CURRENT KERNEL- Faux V4

MildewMan
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildewMan View Post
I haven't had extensive amounts of test with WiFi on and off at night. I'm now testing whether it actually has anything to do with it or not. Will post back in a few days or if it happens again with wifi off at night.
Just wanted to update on this. I have not had a night-time shutdown since turning my WiFi off before I go to sleep. I still don't have conclusive evidence that it is related to WiFi, but I'm going to keep turning it off at night until it shuts down again (if it shuts down again).
Devices:
32 GB Google Nexus 5 - Stock 4.4.2 - Rooted
16 GB Google Nexus 4 - sold
HTC Ruby (Amaze 4G) - sold
Motorola Xoom (Wifi) - 4.4.2 OmniRom - 32 GB Class 4 SanDisk card
HTC Glacier (MyTouch 4G) - sold
HTC T-Mobile G1 - GinSense v1.0

jlear3
Old
Thanks Meter 476

Quote:
Just wanted to update on this. I have not had a night-time shutdown since turning my WiFi off before I go to sleep. I still don't have conclusive evidence that it is related to WiFi, but I'm going to keep turning it off at night until it shuts down again (if it shuts down again).
+1

No problems yet, but I have flashed a bunch of other stuff too

Nexus 4
Franco r93
PROJECT ELE

elsrss
Old
Thanks Meter 2

No solution still but from discussions I had I found out also that some galaxy s3 users have the same problem. Also, it was suggested to me to install an app called "Wake lock" to prevent the phone or just its cpu going to sleep mode, as a temporary solution until we hear something from LG or Google. Just installed the app, will update if I see a difference

MildewMan
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
I can now conclude that WiFi has nothing to do with the random shutdowns. I had my first one in a while last night, and WiFi was off.
Devices:

jlear3
Old
Thanks Meter 476

What software are you on? (rom/kernel/bootloader/etc)

Let's try to get everyone's stats so we can narrow this down.

I haven't had it happen a single time since turning off wifi optimization. I've been on francos kernel only changing to new nightlies, 4.2.2 bootloader, and cm10 linao+bionic

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

MildewMan
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlear3 View Post
What software are you on? (rom/kernel/bootloader/etc)

Let's try to get everyone's stats so we can narrow this down.

I haven't had it happen a single time since turning off wifi optimization. I've been on francos kernel only changing to new nightlies, 4.2.2 bootloader, and cm10 linao+bionic

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I'm on just the 4.2.2 OTA stock rom, stock kernel, stock bootloader. Only thing I've done is root my device and install CWM.
Devices: