Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart

OP Thrice87

2nd March 2013, 02:55 AM   |  #41  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
66 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
I can't seem to find it right now, but there is another thread on this topic wherein the OP suggests that there is something physically wrong with some phones. He actually has a video with a proposed fix that has worked for some people.

I am suspicious that it is a hardware problem because my unit has been fine for the past 2 1/2 months. I am running stock, unrooted and was without a case until two days ago. I've made no recent changes to apps or settings. The only change was that put a bumper on and my phone has suddenly started shutting down and remaining unresponsive for a period of time. The battery is always at least half charged (before and after the event). After it decides to come back on, it is as if nothing happened. It doesn't really strike me as a software issue, it is more like the battery suddenly disconnects.
2nd March 2013, 06:55 AM   |  #42  
varshil's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag mumbai
Thanks Meter: 399
 
720 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Re: [Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart
If phone becomes hot, theres a defense mechanism in which our kernel will make phone run at lower clocks which eventually gets our phone into sleep of death. So try one thing. If ever ur phone gets hot, dnt lock the screen and keep it on a cold surface, and once it get cold, press the lock button. See the diff!!
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
2nd March 2013, 10:55 AM   |  #43  
algus's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by varshil

If phone becomes hot, theres a defense mechanism in which our kernel will make phone run at lower clocks which eventually gets our phone into sleep of death. So try one thing. If ever ur phone gets hot, dnt lock the screen and keep it on a cold surface, and once it get cold, press the lock button. See the diff!!
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

It turns off at night while in standby mode, charger unplugged and battery has 30-70% left. With stock everything and default settings. Why should it overheat? Only if stock firmware has such bug.
2nd March 2013, 12:33 PM   |  #44  
varshil's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag mumbai
Thanks Meter: 399
 
720 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Re: [Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by algus

It turns off at night while in standby mode, charger unplugged and battery has 30-70% left. With stock everything and default settings. Why should it overheat? Only if stock firmware has such bug.

My phone does over heat at times and only after that it goes to sleep of death.. When you charge your phone, the phone gets heated too... Do you charge your phone at night before going to sleep?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
2nd March 2013, 04:36 PM   |  #45  
MildewMan's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saint Louis, MO
Thanks Meter: 70
 
275 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildewMan

I haven't had extensive amounts of test with WiFi on and off at night. I'm now testing whether it actually has anything to do with it or not. Will post back in a few days or if it happens again with wifi off at night.

Just wanted to update on this. I have not had a night-time shutdown since turning my WiFi off before I go to sleep. I still don't have conclusive evidence that it is related to WiFi, but I'm going to keep turning it off at night until it shuts down again (if it shuts down again).
2nd March 2013, 07:02 PM   |  #46  
jlear3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 477
 
1,429 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Re: [Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildewMan

Just wanted to update on this. I have not had a night-time shutdown since turning my WiFi off before I go to sleep. I still don't have conclusive evidence that it is related to WiFi, but I'm going to keep turning it off at night until it shuts down again (if it shuts down again).

+1

No problems yet, but I have flashed a bunch of other stuff too

Nexus 4
Franco r93
PROJECT ELE
2nd March 2013, 07:24 PM   |  #47  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Re: [Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart
No solution still but from discussions I had I found out also that some galaxy s3 users have the same problem. Also, it was suggested to me to install an app called "Wake lock" to prevent the phone or just its cpu going to sleep mode, as a temporary solution until we hear something from LG or Google. Just installed the app, will update if I see a difference
3rd March 2013, 07:40 PM   |  #48  
MildewMan's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saint Louis, MO
Thanks Meter: 70
 
275 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildewMan

Just wanted to update on this. I have not had a night-time shutdown since turning my WiFi off before I go to sleep. I still don't have conclusive evidence that it is related to WiFi, but I'm going to keep turning it off at night until it shuts down again (if it shuts down again).

I can now conclude that WiFi has nothing to do with the random shutdowns. I had my first one in a while last night, and WiFi was off.
3rd March 2013, 10:08 PM   |  #49  
jlear3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 477
 
1,429 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Re: [Q] Nexus 4 randomly turning off, intermittently not being able to restart
What software are you on? (rom/kernel/bootloader/etc)

Let's try to get everyone's stats so we can narrow this down.

I haven't had it happen a single time since turning off wifi optimization. I've been on francos kernel only changing to new nightlies, 4.2.2 bootloader, and cm10 linao+bionic

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
3rd March 2013, 10:09 PM   |  #50  
MildewMan's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saint Louis, MO
Thanks Meter: 70
 
275 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlear3

What software are you on? (rom/kernel/bootloader/etc)

Let's try to get everyone's stats so we can narrow this down.

I haven't had it happen a single time since turning off wifi optimization. I've been on francos kernel only changing to new nightlies, 4.2.2 bootloader, and cm10 linao+bionic

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I'm on just the 4.2.2 OTA stock rom, stock kernel, stock bootloader. Only thing I've done is root my device and install CWM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes