Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 41,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] nexus 4 Any way to copy data (broken touch input - physical buttons work fine)

Tip us?

foofiebeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] nexus 4 Any way to copy data (broken touch input - physical buttons work fine)

Dropped my nexus 4 yesterday and it fell right on the edge of the screen shattering it. First time I've broken a phone, and this one seems like a particularly bad one to have broken - no reasonable price screen replacement with the screen attached to the digitizer.

Anyway the phone boots up and charges fine, but I can't unlock it, which means my computer isn't connecting to it. Is there any way I can save all of my photos and other files?

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,954

DONATE TO ME
Is USB debugging enabled?

Sent using xda-developers app

foofiebeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium_ View Post
Is USB debugging enabled?

I believe so. But I have no way to check.

foofiebeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofiebeast View Post
I believe so. But I have no way to check.

To be clear, I can't check because I can't get past the lock screen. I also have no way of turning the phone off, I just have to wait until the battery runs out and then I have one chance to turn it on. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do in recovery mode that might help?

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,954

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
To be clear, I can't check because I can't get past the lock screen. I also have no way of turning the phone off, I just have to wait until the battery runs out and then I have one chance to turn it on. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do in recovery mode that might help?
Setup adb http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-set...dows-tutorial/

Plug the phone in while its at the lockscreen, and run "adb devices". If the command returns the serial number of the phone let me know and I'll give you further guidance. If it doesn't it'll take a bit more work but we should still be able to get it done.

foofiebeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium_ View Post
Setup adb http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-set...dows-tutorial/

Plug the phone in while its at the lockscreen, and run "adb devices". If the command returns the serial number of the phone let me know and I'll give you further guidance. If it doesn't it'll take a bit more work but we should still be able to get it done.

Thanks mucho, I will try to get that set up now.

foofiebeast
Old
(Last edited by foofiebeast; 22nd August 2013 at 01:44 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Set it up, but no devices listed

It's frustrating because it's so tantalizingly close. I have a pretty good idea that when I send it in to LG they are probably just going to send a different refurb back. I find it hard to believe that they do a 1 to 1 repair job on each phone that comes in.

Chromium
Old
(Last edited by Chromium; 22nd August 2013 at 02:27 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,954

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Set it up, but no devices listed
Alright. This is what you'll need to do: unlock the bootloader, flash cwm recovery, boot into cwm, use adb to copy the contents of your SD card to your PC.

Read this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2266654 . only follow the parts to unlock the boot loader and flash clockworkmod custom recovery. Make sure that you flash the recovery right after unlocking (without rebooting in between) otherwise data will get wiped. )

After that boot into your newly flashed recovery and use "adb pull /data/media/" . this should copy everything on the internal sdcard of the phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromium For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ziddey
Old
Thanks Meter 1,474

DONATE TO ME
Search for how to unlock the bootloader without wiping all your data. Would be moot otherwise...

Of course if all that's been done in the past and you already have cwm/twrp, just boot to that and you'll be able to adb in.

Also, you can hold onto the power button for 10s to force it to power down.

foofiebeast
Old
(Last edited by foofiebeast; 22nd August 2013 at 07:50 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
EDIT: restarted and tried again, making some progress now.

Tags
broken screen, digitizer, nexus 4