Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

[Q] Nexus 4 rooting problem

16th June 2014, 12:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Searched a lot of forums and couldn't really find anything.So basically the problem is I rooted my nexus 4(Using Kingo Android root) and everything went quite successfully.I saw the bootloader screen and the menu came up,etc.However once I installed some applications which require super root access It gave the error "The phone is not rooted" so I downloaded a root checker and it also confirmed this.However I can access the Android recovery if I hold the right keys and there is an unlock icon when I boot up my phone.Not really sure why this is happening.

p.s:I'm not really used to the technical jargon as I am a relatively new user to android.

Thanks
16th June 2014, 01:16 PM   |  #2  
Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,969

5,833 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegao

Searched a lot of forums and couldn't really find anything.So basically the problem is I rooted my nexus 4(Using Kingo Android root) and everything went quite successfully.I saw the bootloader screen and the menu came up,etc.However once I installed some applications which require super root access It gave the error "The phone is not rooted" so I downloaded a root checker and it also confirmed this.However I can access the Android recovery if I hold the right keys and there is an unlock icon when I boot up my phone.Not really sure why this is happening.

p.s:I'm not really used to the technical jargon as I am a relatively new user to android.

Thanks

do you have Superuser or SuperSu on your phone. Do you have busybox installed? Do you have a custom recovery installed? Personally I never heard of the the toolkit you used. I used Wugs when I did mine
16th June 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Originally Posted by playya

do you have Superuser or SuperSu on your phone. Do you have busybox installed? Do you have a custom recovery installed? Personally I never heard of the the toolkit you used. I used Wugs when I did mine

Umm I don't know if I have Superuser,I got a notification when I attempt to use applications which require superuser access stating I do not have superuser access.Also no I did not download any of the above applications as they all require root access which my phone( for some reason) says I don't have.Which is the main problem.

I can access that screen where there is an android having open-heart surgery(Is that the bootloader?)
Thats pretty much it.I didn't install any additional software after rooting it with that.And tbh the only reason I used that is because it was a one-click root process
16th June 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 40

300 posts
Toolkits are pretty useless. All that is needed to root a nexus device is to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery (technically optional), use custom recovery to flash supersu.

The unlock icon means bootloader is unlocked, do you have a custom recovery yet such as TWRP or clockworkmod?
17th June 2014, 12:38 AM   |  #5  
Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,969

5,833 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegao

Umm I don't know if I have Superuser,I got a notification when I attempt to use applications which require superuser access stating I do not have superuser access.Also no I did not download any of the above applications as they all require root access which my phone( for some reason) says I don't have.Which is the main problem.

I can access that screen where there is an android having open-heart surgery(Is that the bootloader?)
Thats pretty much it.I didn't install any additional software after rooting it with that.And tbh the only reason I used that is because it was a one-click root process

none of them are truly one click and rooting this phone is not that difficult. To be honest if you have a problem following rooting instructions for a Nexus may I say rooting may not be for you and quit while your a head. If you used a toolkit you might be able to download Superuser from playstore and test your root.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFredPhD

Toolkits are pretty useless. All that is needed to root a nexus device is to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery (technically optional), use custom recovery to flash supersu.

The unlock icon means bootloader is unlocked, do you have a custom recovery yet such as TWRP or clockworkmod?

lets be honest toolkits are useful for most that need a little help. For more advanced users of course its an issue. Flashing a recovery would still require downloading of software and understand adb slightly.
17th June 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFredPhD

I'm not sure if I have.But when I hold certain keys when turning it on it does bring an interface which says clockwork something at the bottom(Maybe the mod?)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread