Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 46,358 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 4 touchscreen and Battery Issues

Tip us?

Akash434
Old
(Last edited by Akash434; 10th April 2014 at 06:44 PM.) Reason: Forgot to add in a problem
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 4 touchscreen and Battery Issues

Hellllo everyone!

I bought a Brand New Nexus 4 a 5 months back from an unofficial distributor. In the Beginning I loved the phone, but now this phone is really giving me a lot of headaches lately.

My first issue is the Ghost touch and dead zone issue that has been affecting quite a few G4's lately. (Since I enabled "Show Touches" in developers options,I am able to see any touch inputs on my phone. )

The ghost touches occur right in the middle of the screen (Right where the dead zone is) and the ghost touch issue disappears when I lock and unlock the screen.
The ghost touches may show up again after a minute, 10 minutes or maybe even the next day.

To my dismay, I think that a new dead zone has appeared (however, much smaller than the dead zone in the middle) a centimeter above my Navigation bar.

My other issue is that when my battery reaches a certain level, say around 25-38%, the whole screen erupts in a fury of touches all over the screen. My phone is rendered unusable, until I charge up the phone.

And another issue is that when I restart my phone, the touch screen sometimes does not respond at first. It then starts working after a while. It could start working in 1 minute or it could start working in an hour. This particular issue only happens when I restart the phone

Honestly, I have taken care of my phone, and never dropped it or abused it in anyway.
I read reviews about the whole "Amazing Quality" of the Nexus 4, and was bought on looks and design of the phone, but right now I'm really starting to regret my choice, and wish I went with an Xperia Instead.

Sadly, since there is no official LG or Google Service centers where I live, and since I bought this phone from an non-official shop, I'm unable to send it in for warranty claims.

I'm quite adept in opening up electronics, so I have no issues opening up my Nexus.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this phone, without a Digitizer replacement?

And is there anyone out there facing the same problems?

DrFredPhD
Old
Thanks Meter 27
You still have lg warranty regardless of where you bought it from. Its more likely that you got a refurb though. In terms of fixing it I think you are in for a new screen.

Akash434
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hey, thanks for your reply

There is no official warranty where I live, so I cant RMA it to google or LG.

Honestly through the issues keeps on increasing day by day.
Now it looks like my battery dies around the 60% mark. I guess my battery is uncalibrated?
Anyways, now because of these battery issues, I cant make it past 4 hours of use before the touch screens acts up and the phone shuts down.

I am very unhappy about this phone.

Any way to solve the battery issues?

Akash434
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
My other issue is that when my battery reaches a certain level, say around 25-38%, the whole screen erupts in a fury of touches all over the screen. My phone is rendered unusable, until I charge up the phone.
I found out that this issue is most likely due to the battery. It somehow became slightly inflated, thus severely reducing the battery life and throwing off Android's Battery meter.
I tried over 6 different touchscreens and they all had this problem.
Great, I now have to buy a new battery as well.

Quote:
And another issue is that when I restart my phone, the touch screen sometimes does not respond at first. It then starts working after a while. It could start working in 1 minute or it could start working in an hour. This particular issue only happens when I restart the phone
A full factory reset of the phone, helped to solve this particular issue.

Quote:
The ghost touches occur right in the middle of the screen (Right where the dead zone is) and the ghost touch issue disappears when I lock and unlock the screen.
The ghost touches may show up again after a minute, 10 minutes or maybe even the next day.
And there is no fix for this other than a full Touch+Display Panel replacement.

Right now I'm going to have to buy a cheap 10 dollar phone as my main phone, while I raise up the money and find the time needed to search for and buy these parts for my Nexus.

Honestly, Google and LG have made a very bad impression on me, and I will think twice before buying another LG Nexus phone in the future.

Akash434
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Update:

I Bought a new Display and a new LG Battery, and so far all my issues have been solved.
Now I guess I have to sell this off.
meh.
Tags
ghost touch, nexus 4, touchscreen