Nexus 4 USB not recognized

Search This thread

superbanana321

May 23, 2014
Hello, long story short...
Stuck on google screen, no ROM, just TWRP. ADB Fastboot don't work, phone will charge, but windows 8.1 won't recognize it, it just says USB Descriptor Failed and Not Recognized. Drivers for it don't work either.

Bad Motherboard? :(

EDIT:

I already tried swapping the USB PCB from another fully working Nexus 4 and it did not work anyway, while the one from this damaged one did work correctly on the other already working N4 o_O

Last edited:

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
Take it you've tried another cable and usb port on comp? Also a good chance that this is charging block on the phone rather than motherboard. Worth a try.

superbanana321

May 23, 2014
This may help http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42022027

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

I already tried that, but without the correct Device ID the drivers don't do nothing. Tried forcing them on the Unrecognized USB Device, but it failed to communicate with the phone entirely. I tried swapping another USB PCB from my wife's N4 and same problem... I think I killed this thing... man... Should I try a Laptop with Ubuntu?

EDIT:

I read in another post that it might be the internal USB connector pins (the little orange cable that plugs into the mainboard), I will check this and see if I can straighten them out. Will post back results for everyone wanting to know if this was the problem :)

Last edited:

superbanana321

May 23, 2014
I think I found the problem, one of the transistors is kind of blown...

part1.jpg

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement resistor/transistor? Doesn't look that difficult to solder.

superbanana321

May 23, 2014
Looks like something is bad internally, logic board replacement is inevitable. The component is called a Transient Voltage Suppressor (TVS), it's meant to protect other components, but even after shorting it still throws a not recognized message. Sorry for everyone reading this thread, you will need a replacement motherboard (logic board). :(

magote

Nov 30, 2009
Getting the same problem, happened because of a short circuit on the car charger. Really not possible to change only the transistor? Can live without the working usb, but the horrible battery life is killing me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk