5,596,637 Members 44,010 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 4 WiFi Problem

Tip us?
 
Timzter
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Sep 2009
Default Nexus 4 WiFi Problem

I rooted and flashed my phone last night and everything was fine other than 1 thing. The Wi-Fi wouldn't connect on my home router. I tried several different roms and was left with the same problem where it was stuck on either obtaining ip address or authenticating. I then came into work this morning and the phone connected to my Wi-Fi network straight away.
Does anyone know how I can get around this problem, don't want to be using up all my data at home!

Thanks in advance
 
batano
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 44
Join Date: Dec 2011
Dont get me wrong but did you try to restart the Router?

Sent from my HTC using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Phone in use: Google Nexus 4 [16GB] / P.A.C. V22.0.2 / Android 4.2.2 / Stock Kernel
Tablet in Use: ODYS XELIO / AOKP / ICS 4.0.4
 
desynch-
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 196
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Davis, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timzter View Post
I rooted and flashed my phone last night and everything was fine other than 1 thing. The Wi-Fi wouldn't connect on my home router. I tried several different roms and was left with the same problem where it was stuck on either obtaining ip address or authenticating. I then came into work this morning and the phone connected to my Wi-Fi network straight away.
Does anyone know how I can get around this problem, don't want to be using up all my data at home!

Thanks in advance
I second the other suggestion. Those symptoms sound like your router needs a restart if it hangs at getting IP/authenticating.
T-Mobile
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 - JB 4.1.2 (ELL4, stock); BrickBug Death 1/8/2013
LG Nexus 4 - JB 4.2.1, .27 radio; 51.2Mbit LTE.
 
Heartbreak
Old
#4  
Heartbreak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 166
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Muncie, Indiana
I'm having the same problem on the network at my university.
Graveyard:
Motorola RAZR
LG Voyager
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
HTC HD2
iPhone 4
HTC Inspire
Galaxy Nexus (LTE)
iPad 3rd Gen
Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2012)
Galaxy Note 3

Current Device:
HTC One (M8)
Nexus 7 (32Gb) (2013)
Twitter: @JeremyStookey
 
armstrom
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 73
Join Date: Mar 2006
I'm having problems with my wifi as well. We have a network here at my office secured with WEP. My galaxy nexus connects to it just fine but my Nexus 4 refuses. It sees the network, show strong signal but it doesn't seem to connect. I did manage to get it to connect once and I downloaded some updates but then the connection dropped and will not reconnect. I've tried various advanced settings (forcing the network to 2.4GHz, changing the power options, etc... No joy. This is particularly frustrating for me as my micro sim has not yet arrived so WiFi is all I have Hopefully it will work at home. At least there I have access to the router so I can make changes if needed. So far not a fan though.
 
Tonk99
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
I've got WiFi problems here, too. Roaming between different WiFi networks (home and university) often results in an non functional WiFi connection. Experienced this problem with stock Android 4.2 on Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus and latest CM 10.1 nightly on Nexus 4. Even reboot doesn't help every time.

As workaround: If WiFi connection is broken, turn on "flight mode", wait a few seconds and turn it off again. Works for me, maybe it works for your problems too.
 
dyslexicpenguin
Old
#7  
dyslexicpenguin's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 90
Join Date: Nov 2012
I literally just received my nexus 4, and I haven't done anything with the SIM card yet, I just wanted to get things going on WiFi to start. It sees the network I want, let's me type in the password, and lets me click connect. After that it does literally nothing. No thinking, no obtaining IP address, nothing. Any ideas?
 
extremewing
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 51
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Salt Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexicpenguin View Post
I literally just received my nexus 4, and I haven't done anything with the SIM card yet, I just wanted to get things going on WiFi to start. It sees the network I want, let's me type in the password, and lets me click connect. After that it does literally nothing. No thinking, no obtaining IP address, nothing. Any ideas?
I have exactly the same problem. Got the phone today and have tried several different access points - no luck. Restart the phone, no change.

Also, system updates screen said I could only download the update to 4.2 from a wifi connection till the 7th, so i set the date to the 7th and did the update successfully over the cell connection. Still no WiFi. Factory reset - no change.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Oh, also tried the flight mode "trick" with no success.
 
ecsk
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreak View Post
I'm having the same problem on the network at my university.
Your uni wifi probably is LEAP wifi or PEAP wifi, which is proven broken in Android 4.2
 
jim.k.yee
Old
#10  
jim.k.yee's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 62
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsk View Post
Your uni wifi probably is LEAP wifi or PEAP wifi, which is proven broken in Android 4.2
It's also broken on my campus. Do you have any suggestions to bypass this?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes