Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 47,276 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus says it's rooted, but it isn't

Tip us?

redersz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus says it's rooted, but it isn't

When I hold down-volume and power button it says that the phone is unlocked, but apps that require root access don't work for me, and also root detecting apps don't detect it.

The problem is that my phone finds a new update (4.4.2, I'm 4.4 now) but when I click to update - it gives me an error and doesn't work.

It started when after I did a custom installation of 4.4...

Is there any way to fix it? I'm so tired of it, as far as I'm concerned your solution can even delete everything and bring my phone back to vanilla, I don't care - I just want to be able to update it by downloading internal updates.

jd1639
Old
(Last edited by jd1639; 26th February 2014 at 06:32 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by redersz View Post
When I hold down-volume and power button it says that the phone is unlocked, but apps that require root access don't work for me, and also root detecting apps don't detect it.

The problem is that my phone finds a new update (4.4.2, I'm 4.4 now) but when I click to update - it gives me an error and doesn't work.

It started when after I did a custom installation of 4.4...

Is there any way to fix it? I'm so tired of it, as far as I'm concerned your solution can even delete everything and bring my phone back to vanilla, I don't care - I just want to be able to update it by downloading internal updates.
Just because your bootloader is unlocked doesn't mean your rooted. You would have had to flash supersu or superuser in a custom recovery. If you've changed any system files the ota will not work. Sounds like you should do some more reading before you do much else.

You might start here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34552123 and here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=41103290

Sent from my Nexus 5