5,596,179 Members 33,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

noob here, lost at rooting

Tip us?
 
beegbear
Old
(Last edited by beegbear; 19th December 2013 at 01:36 AM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 110
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Default noob here, lost at rooting

hey all,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to rooting

I've been searching online on how to root a nexus 4 using a mac.. every single guide is different, some skip the unlocking bootloader part, some skip other parts, and most guides are just outdated.

I'm running on absolute stock, 4.4.2.

What's the best (and most current) guide out there? I'm interested in rooting my phone mainly so I can get LTE access.. do no care too much for non stock ROMS (not yet at least)
 
Yuoko5
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 96
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think this is the easiest for noobs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1999065 . It's a tool that will do all the work for you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Yuoko5 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
beegbear
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 110
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
update:

I set up adb on my mac and unlocked bootloader, that was easy.

I'm following this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2018179

so now I'm confused about the whole Rom part.. which one do I download? There's a ROMs column, a stock recovery, and stock touch recovery. What are those?
 
Yuoko5
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 96
Join Date: Sep 2012
You don't have to install another ROM. You can just download the recovery (CMW for mako touch or non touch) in the post. Also download the su zip tot get root acces.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
 
beegbear
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 110
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuoko5 View Post
You don't have to install another ROM. You can just download the recovery (CMW for mako touch or non touch) in the post. Also download the su zip tot get root acces.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk


ah, so the touch column is all the 'stock' roms. how do I know that it's the latest 4.4.2 stock rom? will be able to do OTA updates after I flash the mako touch?
 
Yuoko5
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 96
Join Date: Sep 2012
If you're device is rooted I think you won't be able to install OTA updates from google anymore. But, you can flash these stock roms easily. I'm sure people make flashable zips of every new version of Android. About the columns: ROMs=you can download custom roms (you don't need that); Recovery and recovery touch is basically the same thing. The difference is one recovery can be controlled with the touchscreen and the over with the volume and power button. It's just what you like best.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegbear View Post
ah, so the touch column is all the 'stock' roms. how do I know that it's the latest 4.4.2 stock rom? will be able to do OTA updates after I flash the mako touch?
Get it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Yuoko5 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
beegbear
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 110
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
I guess I'm getting some terminology mixed up, it seems that no matter how much I read about this I still can't quite get a grasp of it

What is the definition of CWM (clockwork mod), what exactly does it do?

What is a factory then? (when someone talks about flashing a factory image, I thought that's what CWM is, what's the difference?)
 
Ankurcul
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 314
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegbear View Post
I guess I'm getting some terminology mixed up, it seems that no matter how much I read about this I still can't quite get a grasp of it

What is the definition of CWM (clockwork mod), what exactly does it do?

What is a factory then? (when someone talks about flashing a factory image, I thought that's what CWM is, what's the difference?)
Cwm(clockworkmod recovery) is a side load which helps u to flash different ROMs and zip files. It also helps u to wipe battery stats, partition sd card(not with case of n4)

Factory image is the stock ROM that Google provide that u r having in your nexus 4

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
 
Lt.Win
Old
#9  
Lt.Win's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 671
Posts: 3,228
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegbear View Post
I guess I'm getting some terminology mixed up, it seems that no matter how much I read about this I still can't quite get a grasp of it

What is the definition of CWM (clockwork mod), what exactly does it do?

What is a factory then? (when someone talks about flashing a factory image, I thought that's what CWM is, what's the difference?)
And regarding your previous question of OTA updates, You'll have to flash the stock recovery if you're on CWM or TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project - Many people recommend this one, I use it myself) and you shouldn't have made any changes to the system files of your stock ROM.

You will receive the OTA if you have modified anything in system, you just won't be able to flash it. And you can also flash the OTA with TWRP instead of stock recovery. Root does not matter, although it will be lost after you update. Before updating, also make sure you're not using a custom kernel. Kernel: The "thing" that android runs on. It's the heart of the OS, you could say. No kernel, no boot.
 
beegbear
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 110
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Win View Post
And regarding your previous question of OTA updates, You'll have to flash the stock recovery if you're on CWM or TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project - Many people recommend this one, I use it myself) and you shouldn't have made any changes to the system files of your stock ROM.

You will receive the OTA if you have modified anything in system, you just won't be able to flash it. And you can also flash the OTA with TWRP instead of stock recovery. Root does not matter, although it will be lost after you update. Before updating, also make sure you're not using a custom kernel. Kernel: The "thing" that android runs on. It's the heart of the OS, you could say. No kernel, no boot.
So let me make sure I'm following this..(sorry, I'm sure you saw such questions countless times before)

CWM (or TWRP) is a custom recovery instead of the stock 'recovery' option that's found in the bootloader. If I choose to go with either CWM or TWRP, how much of an issue is it to flash back to stock recovery? would it be done through ADB the same way the custom recovery was flashed in the first place?

As I understand.. the first thing I should do after unlocking the bootloader (already done) and flashing a custom recovery (not done yet) is to create a backup through the custom recovery. Does that back up the radios as well? If I decide to flash the all in one LTE zip and it doesn't work or what not.. will using that recovery flash back the old radios?

Now to the actual rooting..

so flashing super su is what actually does the root? How would I go about returning to complete stock if I ever need to? (stock recovery, remove root, lock bootloader)

When flashing a different ROM, how come I need to make a backup of my apps? what if I want to start completely fresh? Would I not be able to go to the playstore after flashing a custom rom and downloading everything I need? or there is not going to be a play store after flashing? (that's why GAPPS are needed?)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes