5,597,354 Members 31,628 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is this normal battery drain for voice calls?

Tip us?

usama990
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is this normal battery drain for voice calls?

Hi guys. It seems to me that my nexus 4 has been consuming too much battery for voice calls. Ive attached pictures showing what I'm experiencing. Is this normal or is there something wrong? Im on a 2g network btw. Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-07-15-58-00.jpg
Views:	1706
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1638934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-07-15-57-50.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1638935  

eep2378
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1757

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by usama990 View Post
Hi guys. It seems to me that my nexus 4 has been consuming too much battery for voice calls. Ive attached pictures showing what I'm experiencing. Is this normal or is there something wrong? Im on a 2g network btw. Thanks in advance!!
How much screen time? Voice calls are a HUGE battery drain, especially if you carrier supports 3g calls. An hr of voice calls will use a lot of battery.
Nexus 5 (White, 32GB)
Rom: Purity(3/22)
Kernel: default Purity

"Physics makes us all its bitches"

Google+/Hangouts: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricPinho/posts
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/eep2378

usama990
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default tesCDi the

Quote:
Originally Posted by eep2378 View Post
How much screen time? Voice calls are a HUGE battery drain, especially if you carrier supports 3g calls. An hr of voice calls will use a lot of battery.
i don't remember the screen time for that particular day .. but usually i get 4hrs+ and from what i've gathered from the forum, that seems normal .. this concern over voice calls is because according to gsmarena voice-calls are one of the N4's strong points when it comes to battery life... according to their tests voice-calls would last around 14 hours before the battery died.. but in the screenshots i've posted, only about 1 hour of talk-time consumed around 14% of total battery life, which would amount to only about 7 hours of talk-time.. maybe the guys at gsmarena got it wrong or something but thats exactly what i'm trying to find out ..

dralways
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I haven't done any measured tests but from casual observation I've noticed I rarely lose any battery during a voice call though I also rarely talk for more than 10-20min.

El Daddy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by usama990 View Post
i don't remember the screen time for that particular day .. but usually i get 4hrs+ and from what i've gathered from the forum, that seems normal .. this concern over voice calls is because according to gsmarena voice-calls are one of the N4's strong points when it comes to battery life... according to their tests voice-calls would last around 14 hours before the battery died.. but in the screenshots i've posted, only about 1 hour of talk-time consumed around 14% of total battery life, which would amount to only about 7 hours of talk-time.. maybe the guys at gsmarena got it wrong or something but thats exactly what i'm trying to find out ..
I'm sure those call times are based on the screen off and nothing else being used during that call.

Talk time in labs never equal real world usage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 449
I'd say definitely normal. Did 5+ hours of calling the other day (new years/Christmas stuff) before the phone died and 2hrs of screen on time too. The voice calls were the most used in that case, something like 70%. That's expected though in my book. Seems most people that post here don't actually talk on the phone as I never see voice calls in their screenshots. Getting 6hrs of screen on time and 0 calls doesn't work for me So I get about 2hrs of voice and 4hs of screen time.

usama990
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well i guess the answer is that this is normal .. so i shouldn't be worried about it .. thanks guys for the help

filthykid
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35 View Post
I'd say definitely normal. Did 5+ hours of calling the other day (new years/Christmas stuff) before the phone died and 2hrs of screen on time too. The voice calls were the most used in that case, something like 70%. That's expected though in my book. Seems most people that post here don't actually talk on the phone as I never see voice calls in their screenshots. Getting 6hrs of screen on time and 0 calls doesn't work for me So I get about 2hrs of voice and 4hs of screen time.
LMAO
Nexus 4
Order Date: Dec 3
Delivery Period: 5-6 weeks
Order Origin: US
Delivery Date: Jan 4
212K - Rev_11

shr33kant
Old
Thanks Meter 263
Slightly off/on topic for this but I use my phone to listen to music through bluetooth for approx 2 hours a day, get about 1hr30mins screen on time and probably about 2 hours talk time a day (on bluetooth). By the end of the day I'm usually sat on about 10% battery, does this sound about right? I think in my estimation it seems right...any comments?

Also Lol at the voice calls comment You mind if I quote that in my Signature?

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35 View Post
Seems most people that post here don't actually talk on the phone as I never see voice calls in their screenshots.
its not a phone, its a mobile data/media device that happens to make phone calls

Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!