Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 51,302 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone saying "Charging USB" when plugged to wall. Charging slow.

Tip us?

CoSmEeN
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Battery Full [Q] Phone saying "Charging USB" when plugged to wall. Charging slow.

I have a little problem with charging my Nexus 4. When using the LG charger and LG USB-microUSB cord (both came in the box with the phone), the phone says "Charging USB" when it is plugged in the wall, making the phone charge very, very slow.

This happened yesterday for the first time. I had only 10% battery left and I plugged it in the wall charger. In about 1 hour it went from 10 to 13%. I took a look in a battery app and the app showed me that the phone was the entire hour in "Charging USB" mode when it was plugged in the wall charger.

At about 11 pm yesterday, I plugged the phone back to the wall charger and this morning at 6 am I took a look in the battery app. It took the phone about 5 hours to charge from 6 to 100% (also, it stayed in "Charging USB" mode all the time).

Did a little research and found some forums that said to try with another charger. I have another charger from my old Huawei G300 and tried with that. Here are the results:
1. Huawei charger with LG cord - Charging AC
2. LG charger with Huawei cord - Charging AC
3. Huawei charger with Huawei cord - Charging AC.

Looks like only when I use LG charger and LG cord I have this problem. The rest of the cases the phone says "Charging AC" and charges fast as usual.

I have the stock 4.4.2 factory image since it came out and the phone is rooted (if any of this is important even if I don't think it should. The phone worked like normal until yesterday.)

Anyone has any clues or pieces of advice?

Thanks for your time!

Zehlek
Old
Thanks Meter 1084
I get that also. If you use a custom kernel that had fast charge built in it, it will charger at normal speed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

CoSmEeN
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehlek View Post
I get that also. If you use a custom kernel that had fast charge built in it, it will charger at normal speed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Right now I'm using LG charger + Huawei cord and it works just fine. I don't really now what the problem is. It's like the LG charger and cord suddenly started to hate each other, lol.

sbacham
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I too had this problem, I used HTC charger and worked fine, I tried lg nexus4 charger it said "USB charging" but removing and re incerting into socket two three times ...I got "AC charging" finally!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
micromax A60 (love my first andro)(sold)
htc explorer (great explore to android world)(sold)
htc desire x(sold)
htc one xL(sold)
galaxy nexus(sold)
nexus 4(sold for s3 lol love touchwiz)
CURRENT DEVICE IS GALAXY S3

ABHISHEKSR
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Same problem with me.Resolved it by using lg adapter + samsung USB cable

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Device: Google Nexus 4 || OS: Android 4.4.3 KitKat / Android L 5.0 Port || Version : KTU84M / LPV79

CoSmEeN
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbacham View Post
I too had this problem, I used HTC charger and worked fine, I tried lg nexus4 charger it said "USB charging" but removing and re incerting into socket two three times ...I got "AC charging" finally!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
In my case, using LG charger + LG cable is the problem. It first shows Charging AC for 3-4 secs and then goes to Charging USB and stays like this. It is very weird. And it is more weird that those two things won't function together anymore but if they are combined with other, they work like they should.

Also, it seems like this is not an isolated case. More and more people reply to my posts saying they have the same problem (this is not the only place I posted this).

Anyway, thanks for all your answers. If someone manages to understand why this is happening, please let me know. I'm very curious.
And sorry if my english isn't that great. It is not my native language. I hope I make myself clear.