Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 38,616 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem backing up internal storage to PC through adb

Tip us?
 
fredcorp6
Old
#11  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 382
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Ok, here's the problem. The now unlock your device.... is telling you the backup is done, not that you have to use a screen password. I got the same thing trying to do it in recovery and a 0 byte backup file. I could backup when normally booted. But that's not going to help you with the non-functional screen. Let me play around with it a little more and see if I can figure it out.

Edit, let's backup a little bit. Do you have a custom recovery or are you on stock? If it's custom which one?

Edit, sorry man, the best I can do is use adb pull. But that requires you to know specifically where and what the file name is. And you have to do that for every file you want. Seems adb backup only works if you're booted normally and not in recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Thanks for trying to help man!

I'm on cwm recovery.

I tried adb pull to copy all the stuff on my phone using the command "adb pull /" but the files copied did not include my pics or any personal media etc.

What would be the exact location of my pics inside the phone?? Also maybe it's not working because the sdcard is not mounted?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2
 
jd1639
Old
#12  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,205
Posts: 9,492
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcorp6 View Post
Thanks for trying to help man!

I'm on cwm recovery.

I tried adb pull to copy all the stuff on my phone using the command "adb pull /" but the files copied did not include my pics or any personal media etc.

What would be the exact location of my pics inside the phone?? Also maybe it's not working because the sdcard is not mounted?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try /sdcard/DCIM/Camera

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
fredcorp6
Old
#13  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 382
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Try /sdcard/DCIM/Camera

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
No luck... do you know how to mount the sdcard in adb? tried googling it but none of the commands listed are working.
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2
 
jd1639
Old
#14  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,205
Posts: 9,492
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcorp6 View Post
No luck... do you know how to mount the sdcard in adb? tried googling it but none of the commands listed are working.
Have you tried adb pull /sdcard

That should get you everything on it. It'll take a long time

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
fredcorp6
Old
#15  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 382
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Have you tried adb pull /sdcard

That should get you everything on it. It'll take a long time

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Yea I have, and I get "0 files pulled. 0 files skipped".
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2
 
jd1639
Old
#16  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,205
Posts: 9,492
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcorp6 View Post
Yea I have, and I get "0 files pulled. 0 files skipped".
You're using cwm aren't you? Try adb pull /data/media. Or adb pull /data/media/0. Cwm is messed up on how it handles the file structure

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
fredcorp6
Old
#17  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 382
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
You're using cwm aren't you? Try adb pull /data/media. Or adb pull /data/media/0. Cwm is messed up on how it handles the file structure

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Neither work! It would be massively helpful if you could go to a camera picture on your phone and lookup where it is actually stored? Then hopefully it will be the same on mine.
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2
 
jd1639
Old
#18  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,205
Posts: 9,492
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcorp6 View Post
Neither work! It would be massively helpful if you could go to a camera picture on your phone and lookup where it is actually stored? Then hopefully it will be the same on mine.
We tried that already. It's in /sdcard/DCIM/Camera

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
fredcorp6
Old
#19  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 382
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
We tried that already. It's in /sdcard/DCIM/Camera

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
I'm making progress! managed to get all my app data off the phone.

Originally when I did adb pull /data, it returned "0 files pulled, 0 files skipped".

Then I went into adb shell and mounted /data, exited adb shell, did the pull again and it worked!

So I'm close... all I need to know is the specific location of my pictures in the file system and I can do it.
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2

Tags
android toolkit, backup, usb debugging
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes