Post Reply

Proximity Sensor Fix after Screen Replacement

OP Sp_Ark

21st February 2014, 10:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 57
 
180 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Hi everyone, recently i bought from a friend a n4 with replaced front screen after cracked digitizer. The proximity sensor was not working causing the screen to stay black during making/receiving a call. I googled it and found out it is a pretty common issue after screen replacement and the only workaround was to put some very thin clear tape or a small piece from a screen protector, between the front glass and the proximity sensor. I tried that for a fair amount of time but with no luck. So i tried to put the small rubber piece that covers the light and proximity sensor the opposite way. Now the bigger hole of this rubber piece is on the small sensor (proximity) and the small hole is on the big sensor (light). It worked right away and still works great after a month, The light sensor seems to work fine as well. Confirmed working from another guy as well. So i hope this helps whoever facing same problem after screen replacement.
Last edited by Sp_Ark; 21st February 2014 at 10:51 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sp_Ark For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2014, 10:15 AM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_Ark

Hi everyone, recently i bought from a friend a n4 with replaced front screen after cracked digitizer. The proximity sensor was not working causing the screen to stay black during making/receiving a call. I googled it and found out it is a pretty common issue after screen replacement and the only workaround was to put some very thin clear tape or a small piece from a screen protector, between the front glass and the proximity sensor. I tried that for a fair amount of time but with no luck. So i tried to put the small rubber piece that covers the light and proximity sensor the opposite way. Now the bigger hole of this rubber piece is on the small sensor (proximity) and the small hole is on the big sensor (light). It worked right away and still works great after a month, The light sensor seems to work fine as well. Confirmed working from another guy as well. So i hope this helps whoever facing same problem after screen replacement.

This worked for me too, thank you very much for the tip! I would never come up with this solution by myself, really tried everything without success before finding your post!
The Following User Says Thank You to 12V For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_Ark

Hi everyone, recently i bought from a friend a n4 with replaced front screen after cracked digitizer. The proximity sensor was not working causing the screen to stay black during making/receiving a call. I googled it and found out it is a pretty common issue after screen replacement and the only workaround was to put some very thin clear tape or a small piece from a screen protector, between the front glass and the proximity sensor. I tried that for a fair amount of time but with no luck. So i tried to put the small rubber piece that covers the light and proximity sensor the opposite way. Now the bigger hole of this rubber piece is on the small sensor (proximity) and the small hole is on the big sensor (light). It worked right away and still works great after a month, The light sensor seems to work fine as well. Confirmed working from another guy as well. So i hope this helps whoever facing same problem after screen replacement.

only one thing : 1.000.000 Thanks. It worked for me too .... I spent so many hours to fix that shi#&*.. with no success and your tip is WORKING in less than 5 secondes ... !!!
you made my day.... good job ...
The Following User Says Thank You to pticouic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 04:47 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag East
Thanks Meter: 10
 
116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Thumbs up
I just wanted to give a quick thanks to the OP of this thread.
I just did a mass purchase of screens from HK to fix 4 phones.
3 Nexus 4's and 1 Optimus G lcd / digitizer / frames replaced and the proximity sensor would not work on any of them. After much assembly and disassemble I found this thread.
The quick fix of turning the rubber gasket to the wrong holes on the sensor fixed them all! I dont know why it works, but it does work!
They all now work perfectly.
I used: Proximity Sensor Finder for troubleshooting while trying to find a fix and verify the fix.
Last edited by keithsipa; 13th June 2014 at 04:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keithsipa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Worked for me too. Thanks OP!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxwelldiamonds For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #6  
effry's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Naples
Thanks Meter: 52
 
262 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
i have this problem too can please someone post some photos?
30th June 2014, 04:39 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by effry

i have this problem too can please someone post some photos?

This is the video I followed, it shows it pretty clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDAIgwbXk4#t=522
9th July 2014, 02:05 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag East
Thanks Meter: 10
 
116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by effry

i have this problem too can please someone post some photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldiamonds

This is the video I followed, it shows it pretty clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDAIgwbXk4#t=522

That would be correct, if you follow the steps on that video with regards to the proximity sensor, it would be installed correctly and the holes would line up perfectly between the gasket and sensors. However, that doesnt seem to work, you want to now install with the tab facing the other way, you will now see that the holes do not line up correctly and the gasket is partially covering the sensors, dont panic, that is what you want it to look like. Now put it back together, download a proximity app and make sure it works.
The Following User Says Thank You to keithsipa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #9  
MajinJoko's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
66 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
This fix worked for me too.

Thank you so much!
11th September 2014, 06:20 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
It works! Fixed! Thanks

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes