Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,943 Members 52,461 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Proximity Sensor Fix after Screen Replacement

Tip us?

Sp_Ark
Old
(Last edited by Sp_Ark; 21st February 2014 at 10:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Default Proximity Sensor Fix after Screen Replacement

Hi everyone, recently i bought from a friend a n4 with replaced front screen after cracked digitizer. The proximity sensor was not working causing the screen to stay black during making/receiving a call. I googled it and found out it is a pretty common issue after screen replacement and the only workaround was to put some very thin clear tape or a small piece from a screen protector, between the front glass and the proximity sensor. I tried that for a fair amount of time but with no luck. So i tried to put the small rubber piece that covers the light and proximity sensor the opposite way. Now the bigger hole of this rubber piece is on the small sensor (proximity) and the small hole is on the big sensor (light). It worked right away and still works great after a month, The light sensor seems to work fine as well. Confirmed working from another guy as well. So i hope this helps whoever facing same problem after screen replacement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sp_Ark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

12V
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_Ark View Post
Hi everyone, recently i bought from a friend a n4 with replaced front screen after cracked digitizer. The proximity sensor was not working causing the screen to stay black during making/receiving a call. I googled it and found out it is a pretty common issue after screen replacement and the only workaround was to put some very thin clear tape or a small piece from a screen protector, between the front glass and the proximity sensor. I tried that for a fair amount of time but with no luck. So i tried to put the small rubber piece that covers the light and proximity sensor the opposite way. Now the bigger hole of this rubber piece is on the small sensor (proximity) and the small hole is on the big sensor (light). It worked right away and still works great after a month, The light sensor seems to work fine as well. Confirmed working from another guy as well. So i hope this helps whoever facing same problem after screen replacement.
This worked for me too, thank you very much for the tip! I would never come up with this solution by myself, really tried everything without success before finding your post!
The Following User Says Thank You to 12V For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pticouic
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_Ark View Post
only one thing : 1.000.000 Thanks. It worked for me too .... I spent so many hours to fix that shi#&*.. with no success and your tip is WORKING in less than 5 secondes ... !!!
you made my day.... good job ...
The Following User Says Thank You to pticouic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keithsipa
Old
(Last edited by keithsipa; 13th June 2014 at 04:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 10
I just wanted to give a quick thanks to the OP of this thread.
I just did a mass purchase of screens from HK to fix 4 phones.
3 Nexus 4's and 1 Optimus G lcd / digitizer / frames replaced and the proximity sensor would not work on any of them. After much assembly and disassemble I found this thread.
The quick fix of turning the rubber gasket to the wrong holes on the sensor fixed them all! I dont know why it works, but it does work!
They all now work perfectly.
I used: Proximity Sensor Finder for troubleshooting while trying to find a fix and verify the fix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keithsipa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maxwelldiamonds
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Worked for me too. Thanks OP!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxwelldiamonds For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

effry
Old
Thanks Meter 52
i have this problem too can please someone post some photos?
Devices: Wildfire s CM7------> Xperia U -------> GALAXY NOTE 3

maxwelldiamonds
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by effry View Post
This is the video I followed, it shows it pretty clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDAIgwbXk4#t=522

keithsipa
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by effry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldiamonds View Post
This is the video I followed, it shows it pretty clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDAIgwbXk4#t=522
That would be correct, if you follow the steps on that video with regards to the proximity sensor, it would be installed correctly and the holes would line up perfectly between the gasket and sensors. However, that doesnt seem to work, you want to now install with the tab facing the other way, you will now see that the holes do not line up correctly and the gasket is partially covering the sensors, dont panic, that is what you want it to look like. Now put it back together, download a proximity app and make sure it works.

The Following User Says Thank You to keithsipa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]