5,596,637 Members 41,910 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] rooting nexus 4 kitkat 4.4.2? Help!!

Tip us?

zareefpeeroo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [q] rooting nexus 4 kitkat 4.4.2? Help!!

hey guys im new to the whole rooting and the whole android world .. anyways im on the latest version of kitkat (4.4.2) on my nexus 4 and i dont know how to root it. can anyone help me please?
also i dont know if its normal but my nexus 4 still looks like 4.3 JB .. any suggestions as to what can be the issue?

all help is greatly appreciated. thanks

albundy2010
Old
Thanks Meter 1854
The ui looks basically the same except for more white than blue.

Follow the guides on how to root.

Won't lay it all out for you since there a million guides and so on.

But you will need to unlock the bootloader. That will wipe all your data off your device. Everything will be gone.

After that you just need to boot up and put the su. Zip on the device. Reboot into the bootloader again flash a custom recovery. Or just boot it. Then flash the zip you put on the phone with the custom recovery.

That's it. Done. Now stock rooted.

If this don't make sense to you. It probably won't. Read the quides in general.

zareefpeeroo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by albundy2010 View Post
The ui looks basically the same except for more white than blue.

Follow the guides on how to root.

Won't lay it all out for you since there a million guides and so on.

But you will need to unlock the bootloader. That will wipe all your data off your device. Everything will be gone.

After that you just need to boot up and put the su. Zip on the device. Reboot into the bootloader again flash a custom recovery. Or just boot it. Then flash the zip you put on the phone with the custom recovery.

That's it. Done. Now stock rooted.

If this don't make sense to you. It probably won't. Read the quides in general.

it doesnt work everytime i try and use ADB it keeps saying error=device offline so i cant even root it. and when i say its exactly like 4.3 JB its literally the same. it still has the widgets menu in the drawer and everyhing, but on my friends its different. its starting t frustrate me ..

taodan
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zareefpeeroo View Post
it doesnt work everytime i try and use ADB it keeps saying error=device offline so i cant even root it. and when i say its exactly like 4.3 JB its literally the same. it still has the widgets menu in the drawer and everyhing, but on my friends its different. its starting t frustrate me ..
Did you install Android SDK in your PC? It needs to be installed and set up first, and making sure ADB debugging box is checked in Developer Options in your phone. In addition, when you plug your phone into your PC the first time, look in your phone and select Yes when a dialog pop up asking for authorization to remember your phone.
DISCLAIMER: Click the button at your own risk! I am not responsible for your mistake.

~!~ Backup Phone: Nexus One ~!~
  • HBOOT: Latest Blackrose S-off
  • Recovery: Amon_RA v2.21
  • ROM: ICS AOKP Milestone 5
  • Kernel: Tiamat & Shaky156 ICS 03142012
  • SD Card: 16GB
~!~ Acer Iconia A500 Tablet ~!~
  • Recovery: CWM rev1.7 by Thor2002ro
  • ROM: CM10 JellyTime 4.1.2
  • Kernel: 2.6.39.4+
  • SD Card: 8GB

albundy2010
Old
Thanks Meter 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by zareefpeeroo View Post
Adb offline is a different issue. But it's irrelevant. Adb is not needed.

We need to use fastboot. Not adb. You're doing nothing but wasting your time with adb.

You would get adb up and running for what exactly? To issue the command adb reboot bootloader or adb reboot recovery..... Forget adb...

chrisrozon
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Why are you trying to root? You shouldn't undertake such tasks if you're not 100% educated on the subject.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app