Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Q>Something like Cydia ...

OP ozal5

3rd January 2014, 05:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

74 posts
Hi ,

i rooted my phone (Nexus 4) and i want design it , but i don't know how , and i want download some tweaks and i don't know how ...

Android have something like Cydia ?

another thing you guys can give me some good tweaks ? for design and usefull ?
Last edited by ozal5; 3rd January 2014 at 06:05 PM.
3rd January 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 232

293 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozal5

Hi ,

i rooted my phone (Nexus 4) and i want design it , but i don't know how , and i want download some tweaks and i don't know how ...

here you go mate:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2554049
3rd January 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
More
Info 2
Quote:

Hi ,

Hello there, it may seem that I'm not the perfect answerer to your rather ignorant (because I'm sure thousands threads like yours already exist) question, but here I am trying to up my Thanks meter.

First thing you should know is that if you want something exactly like Cydia you won't find it or as in most cases it won't work nearly as good. That's why we have our specific Nexus 4 forum here on xda and luckily it is one of the most popular ones.

Before you make any attempts on tweaking, be sure to install a recovery. I highly recommend this PC/MAC tool for almost everything including installation of recoveries. There are two options - ClockWorkMod (CWM) and TeamWinRecoveryProject (TWRP)
They are very helpful if you want to flash (install) ROMs (modded versions of Android), kernels, .zip files that contain some kind of a visual or non-visual tweak, and recovering your phone.

From here on you can install a custom ROM (for visual tweaks Paranoid Android is a good choice, for speed and reliability I would pick CyanogenMod, whose developers have an installer for noobs) with some kind of a custom kernel like AK which is a all-in-one solution or a reliable noob-friendly one like FrancoKernel OR use Xposed modules (GravityBox is an excellent one) over the stock ROM.

There are lots of noob-friendly videos by the xda team, so check out their YouTube channel as well. Use Google and read very carefully before flashing anything. Wisdom comes with time.
Last edited by kalopop; 3rd January 2014 at 07:30 PM.
3rd January 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 532

2,026 posts
Donate to Me
More
We don't need Cydia. We have the Google Play Store, which has most of the root apps you'll want. There are other stores like Amazon and others, if you so desire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to korockinout13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

74 posts
Okay Thanks guys , you have some recommended apps to design my phone ?

ofc usefull also , and how i can see a list of rooted apps ?
3rd January 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #6  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 46

157 posts
Quote:

Okay Thanks guys , you have some recommended apps to design my phone ?

ofc usefull also , and how i can see a list of rooted apps ?

For design try Themer, like most apps you can get them from the play store. As far apps that require root access, maybe search root in the play store? It should be noted that Root is like Administrator priviliges in Windows. In android there are so many things that you're already able to do that, often times, root isn't needed.
3rd January 2014, 11:07 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

74 posts
Originally Posted by jamel_tza

For design try Themer, like most apps you can get them from the play store. As far apps that require root access, maybe search root in the play store? It should be noted that Root is like Administrator priviliges in Windows. In android there are so many things that you're already able to do that, often times, root isn't needed.

Okay Thanks you , look i want to change my soft keys , the problem is i need systemUI.zip to use ZipThemer ... how can i do this without rom ? or where is the files i need ?
3rd January 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 532

2,026 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Okay Thanks you , look i want to change my soft keys , the problem is i need systemUI.zip to use ZipThemer ... how can i do this without rom ? or where is the files i need ?

In what way do you want to change them? Check out Xposed Framework, not in the play store.

4th January 2014, 10:29 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

74 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by korockinout13

In what way do you want to change them? Check out Xposed Framework, not in the play store.

Thanks you .

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread