Questions about CyanogenMod

Search This thread

RootNightmareX

Jan 7, 2012
Google Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy S5
Hey guys, I'm new here.Soon my new Nexus4 will arrive and i have some questions about installing cyanogenmod.
1.Can I install cyanogenmod with the new cm installer on this device??
2.If this is possible and i install cyanogenmod, how do i update the version if a newer one is released ??
3.I red that the cm intaller install a custom recovery too, if i dont like the cyanogen mod can i install other roms or i must do something before ??
4.If i use this cm installer i know that i will lose my warranty, am i right ?? And if yes, is there any posiblity to restore the phone to original state (i mean lock back the bootloader and others) ?

stormjenkins

Jan 30, 2013
On the same page of this forum is a Cyanogenmod Q & A thread, I would start there and READ.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I prefer installing ROMs through a custom recovery because you can unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery without disturbing the phone's existing ROM.

whitemolecule

Feb 8, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new here.Soon my new Nexus4 will arrive and i have some questions about installing cyanogenmod.
2.If this is possible and i install cyanogenmod, how do i update the version if a newer one is released ??
3.I red that the cm intaller install a custom recovery too, if i dont like the cyanogen mod can i install other roms or i must do something before ??
4.If i use this cm installer i know that i will lose my warranty, am i right ?? And if yes, is there any posiblity to restore the phone to original state (i mean lock back the bootloader and others) ?

1) Yes
2) In Settings there will be an update option, you can also flash ZIP by downloading them from (http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=mako)
3) Yes, you can install other ROMS and gapps from recovery.
4) Yes, you can use google's stock images to restore your phone to original state.

Reactions: RootNightmareX

RootNightmareX

Jan 7, 2012
Google Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy S5

whitemolecule

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks a lot man. So about restoring at point the 4th question. Just flash in cwm a the stock rom and that's it?

Not actually, you need to flash it via fastboot after installing device drivers from your computer. Which is a small tool that comes with Android SDK. (You can find it everywhere)
But I am sure there are flashable recovery ZIPs for stock ROMs on this forum.

cxhb

Jul 31, 2013
Being that you're a noob (just like me) you may want to try flashing things with the android SDK instead of a toolkit (not saying it's bad, I've actually never used it). I just started messing with my nexus 4 using the SDK and some of the write ups here and found them really helpful and I learned a lot. Then again, if you consider yourself computer illiterate (not saying you are, your choice) you may WANT to use the toolkit. Just my .02.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

RootNightmareX

Jan 7, 2012
Google Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy S5
Not actually, you need to flash it via fastboot after installing device drivers from your computer. Which is a small tool that comes with Android SDK. (You can find it everywhere)
But I am sure there are flashable recovery ZIPs for stock ROMs on this forum.

By using that CM installer to unlock bootloadder and install cwm and cyanogenmod, is there any change to brick the device or any incompatiblities ?? Just take the phone out of box install that CM app on the phone and on the pc and start ??
Edit: The app is no more in playstore, from where can i take that official app ??

whitemolecule

Feb 8, 2014
By using that CM installer to unlock bootloadder and install cwm and cyanogenmod, is there any change to brick the device or any incompatiblities ?? Just take the phone out of box install that CM app on the phone and on the pc and start ??
Edit: The app is no more in playstore, from where can i take that official app ??

You can download app as an apk file from their site: http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install

It is a Nexus device, so it is hard to brick it. :eek:
I have been using custom ROMS from first day I bought the device and I haven't got a problem. As I said you can revert back to stock ROM or just try another ROM.

No one can warrant you that everything will work and there is always a chance of brick, but not too much if you do everything right.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) Yes
    2) In Settings there will be an update option, you can also flash ZIP by downloading them from (http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=mako)
    3) Yes, you can install other ROMS and gapps from recovery.
    4) Yes, you can use google's stock images to restore your phone to original state.