[Q] Recovering pictures from unrooted, locked, boot looping Nexus 4

Search This thread

Android-SV650

Dec 4, 2013
Hi, after researching for the 3rd day straight I'm ready to make a post about this. Hopefully someone has some information I may have overlooked that can help me.

I have a completely stock, not rooted, boot loader locked Nexus 4 that was on the latest 4.4 OTA update (received OTA from Google). It was completely stock until I decided to enable the ART java runtime in developer options. The phone then updated my applications, rebooted and now displays the KitKat four circles boot animation for an unlimited amount of time (I've let it run for up to 30 minutes so far).

My question is: Is there any way to recover my pictures?

Every method I've looked into involves a step that requires wiping the phone and deleting my pictures. I've researched the ADB pull command and it appears that I can't run it successfully without being rooted, and I can't root without unlocking the boot loader, and unlocking the boot loader always wipes the phone (which deletes my pictures).

-USB debugging is not enabled

-I can boot into fastboot and I can load stock recovery.

-I downloaded the latest 4.4 full OTA zip file and sideloaded it ("adb sideload update.zip") but my phone still will not continue beyond the KitKat loading animation.

-I have tried wiping the cache and had no improvements.

-When I boot into recovery and use the command "adb devices" it reports my phone's serial number with the message "sideload" next to it.

I am uncertain about exactly how to use adb pull but the following attempts result in the message, "error: closed"
  • adb pull /data/media c:\android\backup
  • adb pull /data/media c:/android/backup

I have Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.9 but it says that in order to use the "backup data/media" tool on Android 4.4 my boot loader must be unlocked (which will wipe my pictures).

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? The pictures were recently taken and I delayed a little too long on backing them up.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

opssemnik

Account currently disabled
Jun 10, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Hi, after researching for the 3rd day straight I'm ready to make a post about this. Hopefully someone has some information I may have overlooked that can help me.

I have a completely stock, not rooted, boot loader locked Nexus 4 that was on the latest 4.4 OTA update (received OTA from Google). It was completely stock until I decided to enable the ART java runtime in developer options. The phone then updated my applications, rebooted and now displays the KitKat four circles boot animation for an unlimited amount of time (I've let it run for up to 30 minutes so far).

My question is: Is there any way to recover my pictures?

Every method I've looked into involves a step that requires wiping the phone and deleting my pictures. I've researched the ADB pull command and it appears that I can't run it successfully without being rooted, and I can't root without unlocking the boot loader, and unlocking the boot loader always wipes the phone (which deletes my pictures).

-USB debugging is not enabled

-I can boot into fastboot and I can load stock recovery.

-I downloaded the latest 4.4 full OTA zip file and sideloaded it ("adb sideload update.zip") but my phone still will not continue beyond the KitKat loading animation.

-I have tried wiping the cache and had no improvements.

-When I boot into recovery and use the command "adb devices" it reports my phone's serial number with the message "sideload" next to it.

I am uncertain about exactly how to use adb pull but the following attempts result in the message, "error: closed"
  • adb pull /data/media c:\android\backup
  • adb pull /data/media c:/android/backup

I have Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.9 but it says that in order to use the "backup data/media" tool on Android 4.4 my boot loader must be unlocked (which will wipe my pictures).

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? The pictures were recently taken and I delayed a little too long on backing them up.

Thanks for your time!
u can use adb while unrooted, but the error: closed is because the device is in fastboot mode. u can try to backup /data/media while on stock recovery.if it dosent work, then just sending to jtag, so they dump the nand.

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Your adb command is right but that's only for custom recovery. ABD is not allowed in stock recovery for good reasons, otherwise it's a huge security risk.

There really isn't a way to back up your data of you have stock recovery and locked bootloader. You'll have factory reset to lose everything and see of it boot or unlock and install factory image.

Next time sync your photos with Google or DropBox, or leave the bootloader unlocked so you can not into recovery and retrieve the data.

sent via tapatalk

opssemnik

Account currently disabled
Jun 10, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
hey, there is jtag dump BUT, some ppl say that if u clear cache on stock recovery,then restart and connect to pc u can backup your things because of adb being enabled.other says that on boot with cleared cache it will mount on pc as normal.u can try that.