Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 48,811 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Replacement Battery - Capacity Problems

Tip us?

blax123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Default Replacement Battery - Capacity Problems

Hello guys,
After more than 1 year I thought about buying a new battery for better battery life. I just did it and here is the problem: the capacity which my phone shows is totally wrong. The battery percentage jumps from 70 to 85 and from 85 to 100% during charging in some minutes. And it drops from 100% after plugging it off the charger to 88 or 85%. It is really curious. So I thought maybe the new battery is damaged and I ordered a new one. But I have the same problem with this new one. OK, I thought maybe it is just a displaying a wrong value but this new battery is lasting less than my old battery. Is there a way to calibrate the new battery to get a real full charge and right values?

Thanks and regards

Sent from my Carbonized Nexus 4

jrosetto
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blax123 View Post
Hello guys,
After more than 1 year I thought about buying a new battery for better battery life. I just did it and here is the problem: the capacity which my phone shows is totally wrong. The battery percentage jumps from 70 to 85 and from 85 to 100% during charging in some minutes. And it drops from 100% after plugging it off the charger to 88 or 85%. It is really curious. So I thought maybe the new battery is damaged and I ordered a new one. But I have the same problem with this new one. OK, I thought maybe it is just a displaying a wrong value but this new battery is lasting less than my old battery. Is there a way to calibrate the new battery to get a real full charge and right values?

Thanks and regards

Sent from my Carbonized Nexus 4
Usually you want to condition a new battery by charging it all the way up to 100% and wait about an hour with it still on the charger. Then completely discharge the batter until the phone shuts off. Perform these steps two or three times and you should be good to go.

scream4cheese
Old
Thanks Meter 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosetto View Post
Usually you want to condition a new battery by charging it all the way up to 100% and wait about an hour with it still on the charger. Then completely discharge the batter until the phone shuts off. Perform these steps two or three times and you should be good to go.
NO. There is no need for this. Evidence and experiences from other N4 users has shown that discharging till it shuts off will cause a red light of death brick. I advise not to follow such a method.
My Devices

LG Nexus 4 8GB
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB
Chromecast

RASTAVIPER
Old
Thanks Meter 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by scream4cheese View Post
NO. There is no need for this. Evidence and experiences from other N4 users has shown that discharging till it shuts off will cause a red light of death brick. I advise not to follow such a method.
This is also not entirely true.
I have let many times to discharge totally till turned off and only once I have experienced the red light, which disappeared after charging.
Phone 1: NEXUS 4 16GB, Rooted, Stock 4.4.4, Hells core b47
Phone 2: HTC DESIRE HD @1.2Ghz Rooted with JellyTime 4.2 R11 1900mah Anker battery
Tablet 1: TABLET v975m 32gb v3: custom 1.10 Rom
Tablet 2: TV BOX CS968, GEASS custom Rom

jrosetto
Old
(Last edited by jrosetto; 26th March 2014 at 09:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by scream4cheese View Post
Are you kidding me! So you're telling everyone using a Nexus 4 that they should never take their phone off the charger for fear of getting the red light if their phone goes dead? My phone goes dead all the time and I don't have this issue. Sure the phone won't turn on right away after putting it on the charger from being totally dead, but after it gets some juice back in the battery it works fine again.