5,596,354 Members 38,912 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is our resolution WITHOUT the home buttons?

Tip us?

Sfkn2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default [Q] What is our resolution WITHOUT the home buttons?

I'm trying to make myself some wallpapers with my own pictures and the pictures aren't showing up in the 'perfect' size. I read online that our resolution is 1,280 x 768, but this includes our on-screen home buttons.

This is the picture I'm trying to resize:

https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B...nA5REowZVB6dkE

Not sure how to do a direct link off my G drive folder. I have more pictures like this if anyone is interested.

nick34609
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Default Re: [Q] What is our resolution WITHOUT the home buttons?

I think 1280 x 720

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Girn
Old
Thanks Meter 110

Just go for 14xx by 12xx

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

xda6969
Old
Thanks Meter 32
The stock wallpapers are 1436x1196. Your home screen will show the center of the image with the sides visible on the other screens.
The Following User Says Thank You to xda6969 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AshtonTS
Old
Thanks Meter 2701

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick34609 View Post
I think 1280 x 720

Come on man, the navbar is on the bottom, not in the slides, so the resolution would obviously not shrink on the sides

ROM: CyanogenMod 10.2
Recovery: ClockworkMod Touch
Kernel: franko.Kernel
#BlameAnt

HTC Linkify | ADB/Fastboot for Mac | General Android Help | Cydia for Android

If I helped, please press the thanks button.

Joga5000
Old
(Last edited by Joga5000; 24th February 2013 at 10:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Proper size is (2*width) x Height, so in the Nexus 4's case, a properly sized wallpaper will be 1536x1280 (width x height). The visibility of the navigation bar and status bar don't affect the proportions of the wallpaper - the extra bits of wallpaper are just hidden behind the bars.

If you don't want the wallpaper to scroll and you just want a static 768x1280 image, you can use an app like Image 2 Wallpaper to set that, and just disable wallpaper scrolling in your homescreen launcher.

Edit: Actually, I just did some testing. The wallpaper behavior depends on your homescreen launcher. So with Nova Launcher (what I use) it disregards the navbar when setting wallpaper, and 1536x1280 correct. BUT, if you use the stock Launcher, then it does take off the navigation bar dimensions. That's why the stock wallpapers are 1436x1196 - they work differently than 3rd party launchers. So pretty much: use 1536x1280 for Nova Launcher (and probably Apex too), and 1436x1196 if you use stock launcher.
LG Nexus 4 - 8GB
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: franco.Kernel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joga5000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sfkn2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Thanks for the help guys! Appreciate it.

nick34609
Old
Thanks Meter 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonTS View Post
Come on man, the navbar is on the bottom, not in the slides, so the resolution would obviously not shrink on the sides
Thought the 768 was increased due to the nav bar. My error lol.

UberSlackr
Old
(Last edited by UberSlackr; 25th February 2013 at 08:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 46
For all of my Wallpapers (like those I've created here: http://mycolorscreen.com/UberSlackr/ ) Use a 720x1280 size w/ the Resolution set to 72 px/inch. This of'course is with my launcher set to Single Wallpaper (non scrolling)

And to share a link within G-Drive, you have to set the file to "Anyone With Link" by clicking Share (right click>share) - Also the link required to share is withing that window at the top. you will have a URL that starts with doc.google instead of drive.google
LG G2 (In Use)
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:
I called Google Device Support the other day, and asked about the possibility of Modem/Radio within the Nexus 7 3G.. and The CSR answer was "No you can not plug a Phone Cord or Ethernet cable into the device, and if you want to listen to the radio you must download a 3rd Party App or Try our Google Music service, but it's not a radio" - Couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably for 10min straight. ~UberSlackr