FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Need Help! Deleted Photo Album (Baby pics missing)

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By rboklewski, Junior Member on 26th March 2014, 05:17 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I can't believe I did it, must of accidentally deleted photo album. Stayed up for hours last night and all of this morning trying to find a way to recover the album. I have a bunch of my daughter's pics in that album and I really need them back.

I have a Nexus 4 with 4.4.2 loaded on it and the phone is not rooted. I have been trying to find a way to root the phone without wiping the data so I can try to use diskdigger to recover what I can. I don't know if there is a way with this version, but if there is and you know, please post. If you can show me a way and it is successful you will have some paypal money coming your way. Thanks in advance!

26th March 2014, 06:25 PM |#2  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 876

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboklewski

I can't believe I did it, must of accidentally deleted photo album. Stayed up for hours last night and all of this morning trying to find a way to recover the album. I have a bunch of my daughter's pics in that album and I really need them back.

I have a Nexus 4 with 4.4.2 loaded on it and the phone is not rooted. I have been trying to find a way to root the phone without wiping the data so I can try to use diskdigger to recover what I can. I don't know if there is a way with this version, but if there is and you know, please post. If you can show me a way and it is successful you will have some paypal money coming your way. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps the photos were somehow uploaded to your Google+ account?
26th March 2014, 07:28 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by scream4cheese

Perhaps the photos were somehow uploaded to your Google+ account?

They were to a point, but not like the last year
26th March 2014, 08:40 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:

My first response would be to use disk digger like you said, but as much as rooting is a wonderful thing, I don't think it is needed in this case.

Disk digger is actually derived from a desktop app of the same name, that does the same thing with desktop and laptop hard drives.

Web page here
http://diskdigger.org/

If you connect your phone to your computer as external storage then you should be able to run the program on the computer but targeted at your phone, hence recovering your lost files.

Note: if this works then LOTS of files will be found, (including ones you never knew were even on your phone) so be prepared to search through them all.

I really hope this helps, I know what it is like to loose precious files, safe to say you should backup everything valuable from hereon :P

Let me know what happens either way and I will try and help if it does not work

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
26th March 2014, 09:11 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindyson

My first response would be to use disk digger like you said, but as much as rooting is a wonderful thing, I don't think it is needed in this case.

Disk digger is actually derived from a desktop app of the same name, that does the same thing with desktop and laptop hard drives.

Web page here
http://diskdigger.org/

If you connect your phone to your computer as external storage then you should be able to run the program on the computer but targeted at your phone, hence recovering your lost files.

Note: if this works then LOTS of files will be found, (including ones you never knew were even on your phone) so be prepared to search through them all.

I really hope this helps, I know what it is like to loose precious files, safe to say you should backup everything valuable from hereon :P

Let me know what happens either way and I will try and help if it does not work

yeah, just tried the pc software for diskdigger, phone doesn't show in list. Has a advanced tab, but only lets you choose .vhd files it looks like. If only you could get the phone into a vhd.
26th March 2014, 09:25 PM |#6  

More
OK, so the first question is if the phone is mounted correctly, does it show in 'my computer' and when double clicked on can you see files?

Next question is if you are using the .exe correctly, take a look at this tutorial: http://diskdigger.org/node/1025

I'm sorry if this sounds condescending, but I don't know your experience with computers

26th March 2014, 09:43 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

OK, so the first question is if the phone is mounted correctly, does it show in 'my computer' and when double clicked on can you see files?

Next question is if you are using the .exe correctly, take a look at this tutorial: http://diskdigger.org/node/1025

I'm sorry if this sounds condescending, but I don't know your experience with computers

LOL...no problem. Been a systems admin for about 10 years. Anywho, yeah, this is the nexus 4 so it only has internal memory, no sd card. I can see the phone in my computer, but there is no drive letter assigned, apparently that changed in 4.3 up through 4.4.2, which I am on. So what that means is no mass storage option where drive letter gets assigned, so routine recovery software can't read it as an attached drive.
26th March 2014, 10:06 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

LOL...no problem. Been a systems admin for about 10 years. Anywho, yeah, this is the nexus 4 so it only has internal memory, no sd card. I can see the phone in my computer, but there is no drive letter assigned, apparently that changed in 4.3 up through 4.4.2, which I am on. So what that means is no mass storage option where drive letter gets assigned, so routine recovery software can't read it as an attached drive.

Hmmm, you should still be able to mount as external storage, I have done so before on that android version.
First thing then is if USB debugging is enabled, this will be in your settings under developer options and should not require root.
Then it is a question of whether your computers drivers are correct, android has a tendency of not liking to do drivers correctly, I used PDAnet to install the correct USB drivers (note these are different to the ADB drivers which you don't need)
Get back to me with the results of those 2 points

27th March 2014, 02:36 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Hmmm, you should still be able to mount as external storage, I have done so before on that android version.
First thing then is if USB debugging is enabled, this will be in your settings under developer options and should not require root.
Then it is a question of whether your computers drivers are correct, android has a tendency of not liking to do drivers correctly, I used PDAnet to install the correct USB drivers (note these are different to the ADB drivers which you don't need)
Get back to me with the results of those 2 points

Yeah, I had developer options enabled and USB Debugging mode on, maybe it could be a driver issue. I tried PDAnet and that didn't seem to update the drivers for the phone. The device shows okay in device manager, no exclamation point, shows as Nexus 4 as well and the driver seems to be a Microsoft driver. Are you sure you had the same android version? Everywhere I look any version after 4.2.2 cannot be used as a mass storage device because of the MTP-PTP change in 4.3 and 4.4.
Last edited by rboklewski; 27th March 2014 at 03:55 PM.
27th March 2014, 06:50 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

Yeah, I had developer options enabled and USB Debugging mode on, maybe it could be a driver issue. I tried PDAnet and that didn't seem to update the drivers for the phone. The device shows okay in device manager, no exclamation point, shows as Nexus 4 as well and the driver seems to be a Microsoft driver. Are you sure you had the same android version? Everywhere I look any version after 4.2.2 cannot be used as a mass storage device because of the MTP-PTP change in 4.3 and 4.4.

I am on 4.4.3 now, and have the phone connected fine right now, have you tried switching between MTP and PTP?
Note: I am on MTP and it is working.
I am sure there is a problem with something to do with connecting your nexus to the computer, as mine is doing so right now. If we can resolve that issue and access the internal storage then you should be able to then recover the files with disk digger.
My best guess would be a driver issue as android has never really played well when trying to set up drivers. But like you said the computer is recognising it correctly. I think perhaps testing the drivers connection my be the next step, use ADB with the command 'adb devices' (without quotes) to see the devices connected to the adb server. If nothing comes up then we may be able to start troubleshooting

Perhaps ADB is the difference, i have it installed and sorted, do you?

If you have never used ADB before, here is a good place to get started and here is another mention of the drivers, perhaps another attempt may be worth a try, with a clean intall

Safe to say in my drivers list it is connected under android device > android composite ADB interface.

Actually yes, thinking about what i have just written i am confident it is ADB and drivers, you should not be connected with Microsoft drivers, they are the automatically installed ones and never work. Follow the guides above (and perhaps some googling) to get the proper drivers and ADB set up, once you think you have test it with the 'adb devises' command, once you get it returning a serial number for your phone then take a look in 'My Computer' again and see if the storage is visible.
27th March 2014, 09:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 97

More
nexus 4 only support MTP, not USB Mass Storage, so can't be mounted with a drive letter and can't be used with undelete software . If you know any working solution without root - please tell us, but test first yourself before writing please

P.S. you are on 4.4.3 ? o_O

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)