5,598,233 Members 47,009 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Safe to update to 4.4 w/stock OTA rooted?

Tip us?

mrlad
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Safe to update to 4.4 w/stock OTA rooted?

I'm running rooted w/stock OTA 4.3. Are there any special upgrade procedures to update to 4.4 when rooted via Koush superuser and using the stock OTA?

Was able to update to 4.3 OTA w/o incident (see thread below)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post45183403

mrlad
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Bump...any info on whether or not its possible would be appreciated.

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4722

DONATE TO ME
It should work as long as everything is stock (including recovery and kernel). You will however lose root, but that can easily be reobtained by flashing it after updating.

playya
Old
Thanks Meter 1755

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlad View Post
I'm running rooted w/stock OTA 4.3. Are there any special upgrade procedures to update to 4.4 when rooted via Koush superuser and using the stock OTA?

If you are rooted why not just flash a rooted stock rom? Confused why you wait for answers from others... I am just curious since I see people do this and it confuses me... Just askin and sorry if you think I may be flamin'.

Do people think the OTA is different somehow or works better somehow
DeBloat your AOKP/CM10 fast and pain free click here
---------------------------------------------------
"Hey if you can type it you can search it" - Google is your friend - Let me Google that for you
--------------------------------------------------
Proud owner of a Nexus 4 on LiquidSmooth 2.5/Samsung Galaxy S2(AT&T)and Wifi Only Xoom

mrlad
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by playya View Post
If you are rooted why not just flash a rooted stock rom? Confused why you wait for answers from others... I am just curious since I see people do this and it confuses me... Just askin and sorry if you think I may be flamin'.

Do people think the OTA is different somehow or works better somehow
Pretty sure that if I flash stock ROM I'm going to lose my settings. I've had VERY bad results backing up and restoring going from 4.2 to 4.3 and really don't want to go through that hassle unless absolutely required.

To answer your other question, I just prefer to be on the OTA.

playya
Old
Thanks Meter 1755

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Pretty sure that if I flash stock ROM I'm going to lose my settings. I've had VERY bad results backing up and restoring going from 4.2 to 4.3 and really don't want to go through that hassle unless absolutely required.

To answer your other question, I just prefer to be on the OTA.
If you are on a stock rom and flash the upgraded version you wont lose your settings. Flashing one rom over another can be done its just frowned up in some cases. Lets be honest though there are quite a few back up tools out there for you to achieve a duplicated look going from one rom to another within the hour.

I hear ya if you had issues but you sure its not in your procedure. Be glad to help you if you need it. Thanks for answering the question though but I believe your route is more cumbersome than just a simple flash but what ever makes you more comfortable is best I get that
DeBloat your AOKP/CM10 fast and pain free click here
---------------------------------------------------
"Hey if you can type it you can search it" - Google is your friend - Let me Google that for you
--------------------------------------------------
Proud owner of a Nexus 4 on LiquidSmooth 2.5/Samsung Galaxy S2(AT&T)and Wifi Only Xoom

aga2
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:

Mine was same specs like yours (stock 4.3 - rooted by Koush superuser) and updated to 4.4 through OTA just fine
Never had any problem with Koush superuser and OTAs on both Nexus 4 & Galaxy Nexus (can't say the same with supersu)

mrlad
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Tried to upgrade to 4.4. The upgrade failed and the phone reports no command when I reboot. Still on stock recovery.

Any suggestions on what I should try next to recover?

Note: I do have TWRP available while running fastboot.

mrlad
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I installed the factory stock image (and formatted the cache but didn't wipe out the userdata image). I know the first boot should take an extended amount of time, but its been showing the rotating circles for about 8 minutes now. What is a reasonable amount of time for the initial boot?

mrlad
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Wiping the cache and the Dalvik cache from TWRP solved it. I'm rooted again and things appear to be back to normal.