Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,421 Members 39,175 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any felt the need of sd card yet?

Tip us?

shad0wboss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 144
Default Any felt the need of sd card yet?

I'm thinking of buying LG Nexus 4 but before that i wanted to ask people whether they felt the need to have an extra card slot for the phone. Also how much out of 16 GB is available for personal use...any general comments about the phone itself would be helpful...

Cheers!
Did it help you? why not press "Thanks" button

DutchDisturbed
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post
I'm thinking of buying LG Nexus 4 but before that i wanted to ask people whether they felt the need to have an extra card slot for the phone. Also how much out of 16 GB is available for personal use...any general comments about the phone itself would be helpful...

Cheers!
I think about 13 was available? A quick google might answer that question more precisely I'm not using the phone for music or lots of movies. I don't expect to run into difficulties in that area.

androidfoshizzle
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Default Re: Any felt the need of sd card yet?

16gb is plenty,

NEXUS 4 USER

android88
Old
Thanks Meter 4,807

To be honest, 16GB is too much space for me. I have around 1.3 gigs of my dev stuff, some apps (NFS Most Wanted People complain all the time about how they need 32/64GB of storage but the only reason I can think of needing that much is for music and movies. You can stream those as well so it's not a big deal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

theabsurdman
Old
(Last edited by theabsurdman; 13th February 2013 at 12:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 34
16GB is probably enough for most, but you can always get a wifi storage device if you need more.
i just bought a pqi air drive and put a 32GB class 10 sd card in it for movies/ music etc.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/PQI-A...s-254927.shtml

also check out the Ravpower wireless drive.
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPowerŽ-Wire.../dp/B00AQUMZRA

h.han
Old
Thanks Meter 71

First of all, I don't own nexus 4 but a galaxy s3 with expendable micro sd slot. But I do want to get nexus 4 as well!!

From my personal usage, 16gig is simply not enough. I play lots of heavy games most of them from gameloft, each will take >1gig space and I do shot pictures videos and have tons of other applications installed as well.

I put videos, pictures and musics on sd card but still, only 2.3gig left on internal storage.

I know maybe vanilla android will be smaller than touchwiz but considering >10gig video and pictures that I have, 16gig just won't be enough .

Of course, you may not be like me and can use cloud storage. In the end, it's how you use your phone for the most, and regardless nexus 4 or other phones, it will be the same.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

skezza
Old
Thanks Meter 88
I've not installed any games yet, but I imagine once I do, the space will begin to go quickly. Music I'm less worried about, I stream mainly from YouTube etc. Video recording will be interesting though.

I would have preferred an SD card option, just because it's a fallback. An SD model would have probably convinced me to go for an 8GB N4, but no SD meant I had to go for the 16GB one.
The lack of OTG on this phone is a worry, but at the end of the day, considering the relative ubiquity of WiFi/3G internet in most developed countries, I don't think it's a big problem for streaming video, music etc, so really it's just games and what not that might be the struggle. I'm thinking of setting up a dropbox, (First time for me) which would be good for videos, and music and what not. I'm just not convinced of the price thats all. 2GB isn't very much, and as I have a pretty unlimited web server I could take advantage of that.

kipue
Old
(Last edited by kipue; 13th February 2013 at 01:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.han View Post
First of all, I don't own nexus 4 but a galaxy s3 with expendable micro sd slot. But I do want to get nexus 4 as well!!

From my personal usage, 16gig is simply not enough. I play lots of heavy games most of them from gameloft, each will take >1gig space and I do shot pictures videos and have tons of other applications installed as well.

I put videos, pictures and musics on sd card but still, only 2.3gig left on internal storage.

I know maybe vanilla android will be smaller than touchwiz but considering >10gig video and pictures that I have, 16gig just won't be enough .

Of course, you may not be like me and can use cloud storage. In the end, it's how you use your phone for the most, and regardless nexus 4 or other phones, it will be the same.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app
I m coming from SGS3 16Gb+32Gb mem card.
And I had to adjust. I have some music (had to choose what I m not listening to too often, haha).
About 1.5 Gb of nandroid+5/600 mb of rom and flashable stuff.
I ve had to stop walking around with whole seasons of TV, that s for sure But it's doable.
In the end, no matter how much space you do have, it ll get filled up with things that you don't actually need, so that s OK to pick and chose I ve got to say that I m not having any issue thinking about apps or not, I just get all in there and it fits!
So that s my experience, all in all, you have to think how to adjust, cause you ll have to do so.
Also, cloud storage? I ve got 1.8 Gb of data/month on my plan so yeah, that won't work. Since it s not when I m near Wi-Fi that I need to be mobile !

ruzkay
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I wanna say that before I had the Nexus 4 I was thinking that 8GB is more than enough! And in my country there is only the 16GB version but boy I am glad that this was the case! On 16GB you have 12.92GB (don't ask me why theres 3GB less I don't know how system can take more than 1GB) and on 8GB you have only 5.67GB!

Now i have like 2,5GB free space left on my 16GB version! It is okay I wouldn't mind having more space though I didn't have any problems yet. But I noticed some games are very big if you are a games 16GB might be too small (I'm no gamer though most of my space is taken by music).

bustem
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Default AW: Any felt the need of sd card yet?

My storage was full. but after getting rid of all the junk.. old roms etc it was ..ok:thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium