Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 37,115 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Section of screen not responding to touch after screen replacement (video)

Tip us?
 
xecure
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 53
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC

 
DONATE TO ME
Exclamation [Q] Section of screen not responding to touch after screen replacement (video)

I dropped my phone and the whole screen became unresponsive. I ordered this OEM replacement on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390871330961...84.m1439.l2649 and installed the screen following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lkcg8g3i1s
(Note: I also replaced the bezel/chasis to the phone also while I had the phone open)

After replacing the screen I noticed that a horizontal strip at the bottom of the phone (above the soft keys) is not responding to touch at all. I did a factory reset on the phone and I'm still having this issue. I'm inclined to believe it is a hardware issue.



Any idea what else I can try? I need my phone functioning asap and would rather not return the screen and wait for another.
 
CCody
Old
#2  
CCody's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 335
Join Date: Apr 2013
Use a multitouch test app to be sure that this region is not responsive. If so, than this is highly a hardware issue. Nothing you can do on software side.
What I also have in mind is that you may have installed the screen and the digitizer improperly.
Device: Google Nexus 4
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: matr1x
 
xecure
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 53
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCody View Post
Use a multitouch test app to be sure that this region is not responsive. If so, than this is highly a hardware issue. Nothing you can do on software side.
What I also have in mind is that you may have installed the screen and the digitizer improperly.
Can you recommend me an app?

The digitizer and LCD came as one piece so I don't think there is an issue there. I'll open up the phone and re-install the connection for the screen/digitizer again and see if that does anything
 
CCody
Old
#4  
CCody's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 335
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xecure View Post
Can you recommend me an app?

The digitizer and LCD came as one piece so I don't think there is an issue there. I'll open up the phone and re-install the connection for the screen/digitizer again and see if that does anything
'Yet Another Multitouch Test' by Real Fiction Factory. I am using that one and it does what it should.
Device: Google Nexus 4
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: matr1x
The Following User Says Thank You to CCody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
xecure
Old
(Last edited by xecure; 3rd July 2014 at 09:23 PM.)
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 53
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCody View Post
'Yet Another Multitouch Test' by Real Fiction Factory. I am using that one and it does what it should.
Ugh, I can't even install apps. After factory resetting I wasn't able to sign in with a google account because the portion of the screen where the "@" and "." symbol is located is unresponsive. So I am not able to access the play store.

Any other idea of options?
Tags
replacement, screen, unresponsive
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes