XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Snapdragon 600 vs Snapdragon S4 Pro

Tip us?

richteralan
Old
Thanks Meter 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelter View Post
The dual core S3 in my Xperia S doesn't feel any difference to the quad core S4 Pro in my Nexus 4 in every day use so i aint going to lose any sleep.
I hope you are joking. Seriously.
rasbeanjelly + franco
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to richteralan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Archmag3
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Main thing benchmarking does is stress the specific areas and making sure the device is stable.This is only because we dont have time on our hands always to do real world test every time small changes are made be it pc or cellphone..other than that stressing and checking stability there is no more use of benchmarking.Numbers can lie and do lie things in real world behave different
MIUI + Faux Kernel

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 560
So many talented members here at xda. With there matrix like skills watching chips doing floating point calculations with there bare eyes!

We don't need benchmarks! We need Neo!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meangreenie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

calanizzle
Old
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuilalnvinh View Post
But it is great to have both real smooth and high score benchmark

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
So... I'm guessing you use the benchmark score as a pickup line?

Maybe that's why you care about it so much..
DEVICE 1: AT&T HTC One 32gb: Stock rooted with some framework mods
DEVICE 2: ASUS Nexus 7 (2013) 16gb: Stock rooted

GUAYAQUIL - ECUADOR
The Following User Says Thank You to calanizzle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Daimonion1980
Old
(Last edited by Daimonion1980; 20th February 2013 at 08:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Of course benchmarks can't be compared with real life. Of course the N4 with S4Pro is a good choice and of course its damn fast on daily usage.

The S600 and S4Pro are pretty the same type of SoC except a little bit more Power via Clock and a little bit more power via LPDDR3. But why is Quadrant benchmark more than 100% percent faster? The SoC data don't speak this language. It shouldn't be such an performance improvement.

So, under these conditions i can understand the question from OP. (i asked myself the same question)

Ok, Quadrant is an old benchmark and maybe not optimised for 4.2. Hmm, i'm pretty sure HTC One is running 4.1.2 JB and the step to 4.2 shouldn't have such an performance drain....

So, to be honest to all you guys who are f**ked up with benchmarks. Can you explain why the Quadrant result HTC One vs. N4 gives the One such an performance improvement?

aimcr7
Old
Thanks Meter 745
Default Re: Snapdragon 600 vs Snapdragon S4 Pro

You dont need to compare N4 with HTC One, just compare it with OG, it almost doubled N4 score. Why? Because benchmark is useless.

And look at your device free ram it says 1.2GB or more if you have few apps installed while on One its only 800MB and no downloaded apps, its because HTC sense is resource hog.

If you want fast and smooth device in real life, use N4. You want benchmark optimized device go for HTC One or upcoming Galaxy SIV.

This device isn't optimized for benchmark, ask google why. Read my post in page one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aimcr7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Daimonion1980
Old
Thanks Meter 12
@aimcr7 I'm with you. I should not compare two devices. What i want to compare are the SoC's. Okay, maybe the N4 isn't that usefull for this.

I found another benchmark site which is going more in detail and compares other S4Pro Smartphones with HTC One:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-ben...low-your-mind/

And there you see that the xperia Z is more the right competitor for the one. Because there you see the performance improvement from clock and LPDDR3. And nothing more.

Okay, for me the decision is clear. I will buy a N4 and i don't want to wait for a S600 Phone which is comparable in price with the N4.

Jayrod1980
Old
Thanks Meter 592

I would suspect the difference with a custom kernel to be fairly low. Most new kernels and ROMs for the n4 now have bionic and krait optimizations. In plain old 1458mhz on trinity I score close to 20k on antutu all day. Setting speeds to 1728 and a few other things I'm getting close to 24k... So really who cares. The one will have to push a higher resolution and sense bloat. Scores will not be that different and I highly fought you will actually feel any difference overall. No need to really call the processor in the n4 as old because there are many upcoming phones likely to use the same processor. Also as far as I know, along with the og, it was the first out there with the s4pro and was released in November. It will be march before the one comes out... So almost 5 months later there is something better in raw specs. That's pretty good and much different than nexus phones in the past. The nexus s used an almost year old chip and the galaxy nexus had less than a top tier chip from the start as well. Stock android and optimization more than makes up for not having the biggest epeen. My wife's galaxy nexus runs everything just as fluid as my nexus 4. It just doesn't look as pretty or have as nice a screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jayrod1980 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aimcr7
Old
Thanks Meter 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1980 View Post
I would suspect the difference with a custom kernel to be fairly low. Most new kernels and ROMs for the n4 now have bionic and krait optimizations. In plain old 1458mhz on trinity I score close to 20k on antutu all day. Setting speeds to 1728 and a few other things I'm getting close to 24k... So really who cares. The one will have to push a higher resolution and sense bloat. Scores will not be that different and I highly fought you will actually feel any difference overall. No need to really call the processor in the n4 as old because there are many upcoming phones likely to use the same processor. Also as far as I know, along with the og, it was the first out there with the s4pro and was released in November. It will be march before the one comes out... So almost 5 months later there is something better in raw specs. That's pretty good and much different than nexus phones in the past. The nexus s used an almost year old chip and the galaxy nexus had less than a top tier chip from the start as well. Stock android and optimization more than makes up for not having the biggest epeen. My wife's galaxy nexus runs everything just as fluid as my nexus 4. It just doesn't look as pretty or have as nice a screen.

Bionic or krait optimization is from the ROM not kernel. The spec of s4pro and 600 is almost the same, the "only" difference is memory technology.

And for all, dont forget S600 run @1.7GHz, about 15% more than s4pro.
May the score gap will be very close if both run at the same freq.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 560
Has anyone checked the logs on quadrant? Maybe N4 is failing a test or some thing, because it doesn't stack up even against other s4pro's. It should score around 7500 stock and about 9000-10000 overclocked and tuned, imo.

Anyway with antutu it does score about right, so something is up between quadrant and n4.