FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q] softbrick

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By honorguard, Junior Member on 3rd June 2014, 08:59 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
hello,

I have recently been playing with roms and stuff on my n4. (did it on other devices, and never had any problem i couldnt fix)
but right now I kinda screwed up so bad, that I need some help.
I kinda wiped all the data on my phone from the cwm recovery.
and I'm stuck with this situation:

I can boot to bootloader + recovery
I can't boot to any rom (because there is none)
I can't connect to any pc because they won't recognize he's there (forever alone... ) (and yes i've tried all kinds of drivers)
I can't connect with adb because I can't turn on usb debugging mode.

So right now I'm stuck

I've come to the conclusion that i probably need to use fastboot fix this, but like I said before, no computer will recognize my n4. (not showing up in device manager)

also tried about 6 different usb cables - no luck
different computers ( ubuntu - mac - windows) - no luck

So is there any smart guy out there who can help me?

greetings, Julian
 
 
3rd June 2014, 09:07 PM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorguard

hello,

I have recently been playing with roms and stuff on my n4. (did it on other devices, and never had any problem i couldnt fix)
but right now I kinda screwed up so bad, that I need some help.
I kinda wiped all the data on my phone from the cwm recovery.
and I'm stuck with this situation:

I can boot to bootloader + recovery
I can't boot to any rom (because there is none)
I can't connect to any pc because they won't recognize he's there (forever alone... ) (and yes i've tried all kinds of drivers)
I can't connect with adb because I can't turn on usb debugging mode.

So right now I'm stuck

I've come to the conclusion that i probably need to use fastboot fix this, but like I said before, no computer will recognize my n4. (not showing up in device manager)

also tried about 6 different usb cables - no luck
different computers ( ubuntu - mac - windows) - no luck

So is there any smart guy out there who can help me?

greetings, Julian

I apologise for potentially getting your hopes up, but I am in the exact same situation. I am very much interested in this thread.
3rd June 2014, 09:11 PM |#3  
jd1639's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,911
 
Donate to Me
More
Google 15 second adb drivers xda. You probably need to get adb and fastboot setup for the pc to recognize your device. In order to fix it you'll meet to use fastboot or adb commands

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd June 2014, 09:12 PM |#4  
nicknc's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 271
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorguard

hello,

I have recently been playing with roms and stuff on my n4. (did it on other devices, and never had any problem i couldnt fix)
but right now I kinda screwed up so bad, that I need some help.
I kinda wiped all the data on my phone from the cwm recovery.
and I'm stuck with this situation:

I can boot to bootloader + recovery
I can't boot to any rom (because there is none)
I can't connect to any pc because they won't recognize he's there (forever alone... ) (and yes i've tried all kinds of drivers)
I can't connect with adb because I can't turn on usb debugging mode.

So right now I'm stuck

I've come to the conclusion that i probably need to use fastboot fix this, but like I said before, no computer will recognize my n4. (not showing up in device manager)

also tried about 6 different usb cables - no luck
different computers ( ubuntu - mac - windows) - no luck

So is there any smart guy out there who can help me?

greetings, Julian

You need to delete all your driver files from your pc and start over.

There is no reason for you to not be able to connect via fastboot.

Find a clean win7 machine and start over, installing the fastboot drivers before connecting your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
3rd June 2014, 09:28 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknc

You need to delete all your driver files from your pc and start over.

There is no reason for you to not be able to connect via fastboot.

Find a clean win7 machine and start over, installing the fastboot drivers before connecting your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk



Going to try that now.
3rd June 2014, 09:41 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Hi both

I've tried installing the drivers but whilst the drivers claim to have installed correctly, my phone is still not recognised by my computer in Device manager. I've tried uninstalling all previous drivers before trying this.

Before we go on - should I be trying to connect my phone to the computer when turned off, in bootloader or in recovery?
3rd June 2014, 09:43 PM |#7  
jd1639's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,911
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihsahn_

Hi both

I've tried installing the drivers but whilst the drivers claim to have installed correctly, my phone is still not recognised by my computer in Device manager. I've tried uninstalling all previous drivers before trying this.

Before we go on - should I be trying to connect my phone to the computer when turned off, in bootloader or in recovery?

The phone needs to be on, doesn't matter if it's in fastboot or recovery. You're going to need to use fastboot do I'd try it there

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd June 2014, 09:51 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

The phone needs to be on, doesn't matter if it's in fastboot or recovery. You're going to need to use fastboot do I'd try it there

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Hi

Is fastboot essentially bootloader? I've tried in the initial bootloader menu and I've tried having clicked 'start' from the bootloader.

In the bootloader it tells me fastboot is enabled, btw.
3rd June 2014, 10:01 PM |#9  
jd1639's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,911
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihsahn_

Hi

Is fastboot essentially bootloader? I've tried in the initial bootloader menu and I've tried having clicked 'start' from the bootloader.

In the bootloader it tells me fastboot is enabled, btw.

When you're in the bootloader you can run fastboot commands. With your device plugged into the pc, from a command prompt opened on the same folder as fastboot.exe, run the command fastboot devices. Does fastboot return your device info? If so you're good to go running fastboot and flashing a factory image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd June 2014, 10:10 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

When you're in the bootloader you can run fastboot commands. With your device plugged into the pc, from a command prompt opened on the same folder as fastboot.exe, run the command fastboot devices. Does fastboot return your device info? If so you're good to go running fastboot and flashing a factory image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app


But my problem is that fastboot Will never work if my pc wont even know my n4 is there (and also with adb/fastboot devices golving no response Either ) or am I wrong here?
3rd June 2014, 10:23 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

When you're in the bootloader you can run fastboot commands. With your device plugged into the pc, from a command prompt opened on the same folder as fastboot.exe, run the command fastboot devices. Does fastboot return your device info? If so you're good to go running fastboot and flashing a factory image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Not at the moment. I have had this appear in the past but this is the point I'm trying to get back to. Unfortunately I can't work out how to get it to appear here. My device is in the bootloader.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Brief update - I think. My computer began installing the drivers again, but told me the device suddenly 'disconnected'. I think it's a hardware issue and that the port isn't seated properly. I'm going to replace the USB port and see if that helps.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes