5,815,095 Members 38,309 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] softbrick

Tip us?
 
honorguard
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default [Q] softbrick

hello,

I have recently been playing with roms and stuff on my n4. (did it on other devices, and never had any problem i couldnt fix)
but right now I kinda screwed up so bad, that I need some help.
I kinda wiped all the data on my phone from the cwm recovery.
and I'm stuck with this situation:

I can boot to bootloader + recovery
I can't boot to any rom (because there is none)
I can't connect to any pc because they won't recognize he's there (forever alone... ) (and yes i've tried all kinds of drivers)
I can't connect with adb because I can't turn on usb debugging mode.

So right now I'm stuck

I've come to the conclusion that i probably need to use fastboot fix this, but like I said before, no computer will recognize my n4. (not showing up in device manager)

also tried about 6 different usb cables - no luck
different computers ( ubuntu - mac - windows) - no luck

So is there any smart guy out there who can help me?

greetings, Julian
 
Ihsahn_
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorguard View Post
hello,

I have recently been playing with roms and stuff on my n4. (did it on other devices, and never had any problem i couldnt fix)
but right now I kinda screwed up so bad, that I need some help.
I kinda wiped all the data on my phone from the cwm recovery.
and I'm stuck with this situation:

I can boot to bootloader + recovery
I can't boot to any rom (because there is none)
I can't connect to any pc because they won't recognize he's there (forever alone... ) (and yes i've tried all kinds of drivers)
I can't connect with adb because I can't turn on usb debugging mode.

So right now I'm stuck

I've come to the conclusion that i probably need to use fastboot fix this, but like I said before, no computer will recognize my n4. (not showing up in device manager)

also tried about 6 different usb cables - no luck
different computers ( ubuntu - mac - windows) - no luck

So is there any smart guy out there who can help me?

greetings, Julian
I apologise for potentially getting your hopes up, but I am in the exact same situation. I am very much interested in this thread.
 
jd1639
Old
#3  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Posts: 9,876
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Google 15 second adb drivers xda. You probably need to get adb and fastboot setup for the pc to recognize your device. In order to fix it you'll meet to use fastboot or adb commands

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
nicknc
Old
#4  
nicknc's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 220
Posts: 895
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charlotte
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorguard View Post
hello,

I have recently been playing with roms and stuff on my n4. (did it on other devices, and never had any problem i couldnt fix)
but right now I kinda screwed up so bad, that I need some help.
I kinda wiped all the data on my phone from the cwm recovery.
and I'm stuck with this situation:

I can boot to bootloader + recovery
I can't boot to any rom (because there is none)
I can't connect to any pc because they won't recognize he's there (forever alone... ) (and yes i've tried all kinds of drivers)
I can't connect with adb because I can't turn on usb debugging mode.

So right now I'm stuck

I've come to the conclusion that i probably need to use fastboot fix this, but like I said before, no computer will recognize my n4. (not showing up in device manager)

also tried about 6 different usb cables - no luck
different computers ( ubuntu - mac - windows) - no luck

So is there any smart guy out there who can help me?

greetings, Julian
You need to delete all your driver files from your pc and start over.

There is no reason for you to not be able to connect via fastboot.

Find a clean win7 machine and start over, installing the fastboot drivers before connecting your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
 
honorguard
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknc View Post
You need to delete all your driver files from your pc and start over.

There is no reason for you to not be able to connect via fastboot.

Find a clean win7 machine and start over, installing the fastboot drivers before connecting your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk


Going to try that now.
 
Ihsahn_
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Feb 2012
Hi both

I've tried installing the drivers but whilst the drivers claim to have installed correctly, my phone is still not recognised by my computer in Device manager. I've tried uninstalling all previous drivers before trying this.

Before we go on - should I be trying to connect my phone to the computer when turned off, in bootloader or in recovery?
 
jd1639
Old
#7  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Posts: 9,876
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihsahn_ View Post
Hi both

I've tried installing the drivers but whilst the drivers claim to have installed correctly, my phone is still not recognised by my computer in Device manager. I've tried uninstalling all previous drivers before trying this.

Before we go on - should I be trying to connect my phone to the computer when turned off, in bootloader or in recovery?
The phone needs to be on, doesn't matter if it's in fastboot or recovery. You're going to need to use fastboot do I'd try it there

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
Ihsahn_
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
The phone needs to be on, doesn't matter if it's in fastboot or recovery. You're going to need to use fastboot do I'd try it there

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Hi

Is fastboot essentially bootloader? I've tried in the initial bootloader menu and I've tried having clicked 'start' from the bootloader.

In the bootloader it tells me fastboot is enabled, btw.
 
jd1639
Old
#9  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Posts: 9,876
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihsahn_ View Post
Hi

Is fastboot essentially bootloader? I've tried in the initial bootloader menu and I've tried having clicked 'start' from the bootloader.

In the bootloader it tells me fastboot is enabled, btw.
When you're in the bootloader you can run fastboot commands. With your device plugged into the pc, from a command prompt opened on the same folder as fastboot.exe, run the command fastboot devices. Does fastboot return your device info? If so you're good to go running fastboot and flashing a factory image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
 
honorguard
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
When you're in the bootloader you can run fastboot commands. With your device plugged into the pc, from a command prompt opened on the same folder as fastboot.exe, run the command fastboot devices. Does fastboot return your device info? If so you're good to go running fastboot and flashing a factory image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

But my problem is that fastboot Will never work if my pc wont even know my n4 is there (and also with adb/fastboot devices golving no response Either ) or am I wrong here?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Change the Style of Your Notifications with HeadsUp

Head Up notifications is one of these upcoming features that Android developers hid deep … more

Google Play Store to Show Price Ranges for In-App Purchases

Google recently announced a change to Google Play Store policy that requires … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: How to Shut Up Your Phone – XDA Developer TV

So many different applications want to send us notifications that … more

Add Some Power to First Generation Snapdragon CPUs

Some older devices still remain very popular. Phones like theHTC Desire, Sony Ericsson … more