5,600,664 Members 35,732 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] How to disable Nexus 4 proximity sensor?

Tip us?

sir_fz
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Makes sense.. I'm probably gonna end up attempting the same fix in case the repair center fails

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

kensiko32
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I have the same issue with my Nexus 4, I bought it used knowing the problem.

I'm trying to fix the thing using software. I found this thread, but my phone is not rooted for now and is running great, so I have not tested yet, but if anyone would like to try I would like to see the result.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1626611

sir_fz
Old
Thanks Meter 9
UPDATE: LG service center failed to fix the proximity sensor saying that I need to replace the board (fools).

I had to take matters into my own hands. After disassembly, I tested around with the sensor and noticed that when I loosened the screw over the sensor (top right from the back), the sensor worked. So apparently the problem is that the sensor should not be touching the glass (at least that's what I concluded. Basically what I did is cut a tiny peace of rubber and placed it at the bottom between the sensors and the glass (to prevent them from touching the glass). It's working perfectly now

Took me around 3 hours of trial and error as the space is tiny so you need just the right size to make it work.
@kensiko32 if the sensor isn't actually defective, it's worth getting it fixed as we did rather than disable it.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk