[SOLVED] Slight water damage but fully functional phone, with battery problems!

Search This thread

_Sparks

Jun 17, 2011
United Kingdom
SOLVED: I guess the problem was because of a faulty battery. My old battery was swelling, so I replaced it and these problems were all solved :D

Hi,

So recently I had an issue with my Nexus 4 turning off randomly: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2539546

So I decided to send my phone off to the repair service, and they said that there was some liquid damage here:
tm5d.png

But my phone was functioning normal other than the Frustrating battery problem I had, where the device wouldn't display the battery percentage properly and just switch off randomly. So I initially thought that this was a battery problem. Could this still be a battery problem?
I'm not sure what that area of the circuit board is responsible for, but everything is fully functional with the phone apart from the battery.
Can anyone suggest solutions, if its a battery problem, would changing the battery alone(without do anything to the circuit board that has a bit of water) be okay?

Please help.

Attachments

• AffectedArea.jpg
    AffectedArea.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,829
Last edited:

scream4cheese

Jun 22, 2011
New York, NY
Hi,

So recently I had an issue with my Nexus 4 turning off randomly: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2539546

So I decided to send my phone off to the repair service, and they said that there was some liquid damage here:
AffectedArea.jpg

But my phone was functioning normal other than the Frustrating battery problem I had, where the device wouldn't display the battery percentage properly and just switch off randomly. So I initially thought that this was a battery problem. Could this still be a battery problem?
I'm not sure what that area of the circuit board is responsible for, but everything is fully functional with the phone apart from the battery.
Can anyone suggest solutions, if its a battery problem, would changing the battery alone(without do anything to the circuit board that has a bit of water) be okay?

Please help.

It does sound like the circuit board is the fault. Although it wouldn't hurt much to spend a few bucks on a new battery and see if that fixes the issue. If I were you in that situation I would get a new phone if money is not an issue.

_Sparks

Jun 17, 2011
United Kingdom
It does sound like the circuit board is the fault. Although it wouldn't hurt much to spend a few bucks on a new battery and see if that fixes the issue. If I were you in that situation I would get a new phone if money is not an issue.

Okay so they said that water was found in the motherboard. However the device is still functioning!

They said they'll post it soon, and hopefully I'll receive my phone by this week.

I might open it up and check on the battery once I receive it... I'll probably post a pic of it here, so you guys can help me in checking if its leaking/broken/etc.

_Sparks

Jun 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I opened up the battery. I'm not sure of it looks abnormal or anything, but can you guys see any faults with it?
aetx.jpg

vz71.jpg

1ujo.jpg

I ordered a replacement battery too.