Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

[Solved] Windows unable to install MTP driver

OP Bartimoot

26th April 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
More
Hello guys!

I have already read some topics on this forum but it is my first message.

As indicated in the title, I cannot connect my Nexus 4 on my computer using MTP. This computer is running Windows 8.1 Update 1. So far I have tried every method I have seen on the web so I am a little bit desperate.

I have tried to plug my device on other computers and it was automatically detected on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Ubuntu 14.04.
On my computer, as it does not auto-configure MTP I have tried to install ADB drivers, hoping it would help me. Universal ADB drivers, Naked Drivers and drivers from the SDK didn't changed anything. I also tried changing USB port.

It always recognised my phone as a "Nexus 4" in the "Other devices" section of the Device Manager (I do not have "Android Device" section), except in when MTP + debugging are activated. Then I have both "Nexus 4" and "MTP", in "Other devices" section.

It does not work in PTP mode either and I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Nexus Root Toolkit, even if I do not see how it can help...

One last point: I have the "connected as multimedia device" notification on my Nexus 4 when MTP is activated, even if it's not recognised by Windows.

Do you have any idea of what I can do?
Last edited by Bartimoot; 28th April 2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Add [Solved] tag
26th April 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #2  
Flag Saudi Arabia
Thanks Meter: 742

2,306 posts
More
Have you tried Nexus 4-specific drivers? Try following this guide.
27th April 2014, 07:32 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvlesz

Have you tried Nexus 4-specific drivers? Try following this guide.

I have already tried to follow this guide, it just helped me to install ADB drivers but I still don't have access to the content of my Nexus from my computer. I just tried it again, just in case. No changes
28th April 2014, 01:14 AM   |  #4  
Flag Saudi Arabia

2,306 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartimoot

I have already tried to follow this guide, it just helped me to install ADB drivers but I still don't have access to the content of my Nexus from my computer. I just tried it again, just in case. No changes

Last time I had such an issue: I uninstalled the drivers using Device Manager, then installed the drivers from that guide, plugged in my phone and it worked..

Here is another post from another forum that has something you could try:

Quote:
Originally Posted by still1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwiitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by still1

1. make sure Settings ->Storage -> Menu[3 dots on top right] -> USB Computer Connection is MTP
2. USB debugging is disabled (if you ever enabled it)
3. make sure the drivers installed is MTP drivers rather than adb device(you do this when you unlock/root nexus)
point 3 is important. thats the reason why its not getting detected

2. Where in setting do I check for USB debugging?

3. How do I check this? (I'm not rooted)

2. developer option.. if you have not enabled developer option then you wouldnt have enabled USB debugging. so skip this

3. Connect your nexus to PC-->Go to Control panel-->device manager

you will see something like Android adb in device manager
Right Click and click "Update device Software"
Click "Browse your Computer for driver Software"
Click "Let me Pick from a list of device drivers on my Computer"
Click Next, for the device list shown.

Tell us how it goes..
The Following User Says Thank You to Marvlesz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
More
Thank you for spending some of your time to help me Marvlesz, I really appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvlesz

Last time I had such an issue: I uninstalled the drivers using Device Manager, then installed the drivers from that guide, plugged in my phone and it worked..

Yes, I saw it worked for a lot of people, for what I have read, but it seems that I am not that lucky

When picking from the list, I tried from the Android Device section and it displays "Unable to find any drivers for this device". Same Results in Mobile devices.

When I try Show all devices, I have a lot of possibilities. I just tried MTP Device from both Standard MTP-Compliant Device and Standard MTP-Compliant devices sections, and it displayed The install class is not present or is invalid
Am I cursed?

I was wondering, is it possible that the problem is coming from my hardware? Or its drivers? (Those for the motherboard maybe?)

EDIT: I just found this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2493734
I will try it and I will keep you updated when it is done.

EDIT 2:
So I tried the solution... and it worked!
I had the N version of Windows 8.1, mainly to avoid useless software like Windows Media Player, and it was the exact problem.

Sorry for taking a little of your time, and thank you again!
Last edited by Bartimoot; 28th April 2014 at 09:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bartimoot For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2014, 09:51 PM   |  #6  
Flag Saudi Arabia

2,306 posts
More
No problems, I'm glad you had it fixed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread