Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,645 Members 38,599 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sport armband for nexus 4??

Tip us?

hamdroid94
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Sport armband for nexus 4??

Hey guys,
Have y'all seen any armbands for working out for the N4?
Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
Nexus 4
AOKP + Franco = Butter

Stevenator21
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I have been wondering avout the same thing. I have looked but nothing so far....................

heresey
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Going to try a Galaxy S III Case

I haven't found any Nexus 4 sport cases, but I found A LOT of S3 compatible ones. S3 is a little bigger but close-ish in size according to phonearena, so I'm going to try a generic case that is maybe on the snug side for an S3 that hopefully the Nexus 4 will stay in.

Candidates:
  • Evecase®Velcro Sport Workout Armband Carrying Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII i9300 (AT&T i747, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon) - Black / white
  • Mybat Sport Armband Case for Cell Phones & Smartphones 251, Black
The Following User Says Thank You to heresey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

whooda
Old
(Last edited by whooda; 12th December 2012 at 03:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
I just cut a cheap tpu or silicone case and slide an old armband through it. Cut the slits parallel with the side of the phone; about 1/4" smaller than the band that you are going to pass through. Make sure the case is tight on the phone and you should be good to go. I have also used a seidio active case (the one with the 3 plastic pieces). You slide the strap between the hard plastic and the rubber liner and it will work well too.

kind of like this

The attached photos are of a seidio active case for a galaxy s2 but it fits the nexus 4 if you cut a new hole in the rubber for the headphone plug. The power button matches up perfect but the volume buttons are a bit off. The lower button on the case is even with the top button on the phone.

I use this setup because I hate having the plastic protector that is on every workout case I have found. Once you start sweating its nearly impossible to control the phone. It also holds the phone extremely well. I have crashed my bike on the trail several times while using this setup and have not had a single issue with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	1557616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	1557617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	1557618  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whooda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XxSilent22xX
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I am thinking about ordering the arkon xxl armband this monday, it should fit the nexus 4 fine i think. I will update this post if i do.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Nexus 4
Device: E960
Radio: 2.0.1700.84
Bootloader: MakoZ20i
ROM: Stock JWR66V
Kernel: Stock
Nexus S
Device: i9020T
Radio: KI1
Bootloader: LC2
ROM: Rasbeanjelly 11-6-12
Kernel: _thalamus

benblb
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooda View Post
I just cut a cheap tpu or silicone case and slide an old armband through it. Cut the slits parallel with the side of the phone; about 1/4" smaller than the band that you are going to pass through. Make sure the case is tight on the phone and you should be good to go. I have also used a seidio active case (the one with the 3 plastic pieces). You slide the strap between the hard plastic and the rubber liner and it will work well too.

kind of like this

The attached photos are of a seidio active case for a galaxy s2 but it fits the nexus 4 if you cut a new hole in the rubber for the headphone plug. The power button matches up perfect but the volume buttons are a bit off. The lower button on the case is even with the top button on the phone.

I use this setup because I hate having the plastic protector that is on every workout case I have found. Once you start sweating its nearly impossible to control the phone. It also holds the phone extremely well. I have crashed my bike on the trail several times while using this setup and have not had a single issue with it.
I highly recommend against this method for anyone who wants the phone stable. With this method the phone bounces all over the place when moving. Not an issue as much on a bike, but there are much better options.

whooda
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by benblb View Post
I highly recommend against this method for anyone who wants the phone stable. With this method the phone bounces all over the place when moving. Not an issue as much on a bike, but there are much better options.
Been using this method for the last 4 years on 3 different phones. It has worked great for me. If you cut the slits near the edge of the phone and just a bit smaller than the band (mine is 3" tall) it works well.
But hey, to each their own.

bullyfrog
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I'm using my no brand s3 armband. (was using an s3 before getting the nexus 4) Anyway, the headphone jack hole placement is slightly off, but you can still connect your earphones through it without much difficulty. The phone fits snugly enough in the armband too. Hence, if you can't wait till a n4 armband is available, just use the s3 one. It gets the job done.

Sent from my Nexus 4

heresey
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Pictures or link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullyfrog View Post
I'm using my no brand s3 armband. (was using an s3 before getting the nexus 4) Anyway, the headphone jack hole placement is slightly off, but you can still connect your earphones through it without much difficulty. The phone fits snugly enough in the armband too. Hence, if you can't wait till a n4 armband is available, just use the s3 one. It gets the job done.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Since the band you used is no-brand, can you post a picture of it?
Or, if you still have the link to where you bought it, share?

Looking at the S3 dimensions I thought that this would work as well, but the particular band that I got was WAY too tight on the sides.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresey View Post
I haven't found any Nexus 4 sport cases, but I found A LOT of S3 compatible ones. S3 is a little bigger but close-ish in size according to phonearena, so I'm going to try a generic case that is maybe on the snug side for an S3 that hopefully the Nexus 4 will stay in.

Candidates:
  • Evecase®Velcro Sport Workout Armband Carrying Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII i9300 (AT&T i747, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon) - Black / white
  • Mybat Sport Armband Case for Cell Phones & Smartphones 251, Black
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Was too small for the Nexus 4.

bullyfrog
Old
(Last edited by bullyfrog; 21st December 2012 at 05:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Some pics of my brand-less arm band. I apologies for the grainy pics. But I was using my Nexus 7 (front cam) to take these..

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356066754596.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1580491
As you can see, the earphone jack doesn't exactly fit but its not that big a deal that i'd need to go out and buy a new armband

Sent from my Nexus 4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356066695433.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1580484   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356066722557.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1580485   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356066737540.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1580490   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356066783877.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1580492  

The Following User Says Thank You to bullyfrog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]