Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 48,938 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android System Process battery drain sense kitkat (4.4.2) update

Tip us?

Exit_Only
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7621

DONATE TO ME
Default Android System Process battery drain sense kitkat (4.4.2) update

Has anyone had issues with really bad battery drain on newest update?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
XDA Script & Code Developer

Check out my github: http://github.com/ExitOnly
In support of Android Open Source Project (AOSP)

Current Device:
Samsung Galaxy S III (d2spr)

Current Setup:
CM10.1.1 Nightly w/ RNGD Entropy generator
Direct Injection Turbo Custom Tweaks
0-60 in less then 2 seconds

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 352
I haven't noticed a drop in battery life after upgrading from CM10.2 to stock 4.4.2.

I have very few apps on my phone and I keep wifi and data off when I'm not using my phone.

Exit_Only
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
I haven't noticed a drop in battery life after upgrading from CM10.2 to stock 4.4.2.

I have very few apps on my phone and I keep wifi and data off when I'm not using my phone.
It was my GPS eating up my battery. Mixed with the weather channel app. My battery was dead in 7 hrs.

Current Device:

Current Setup:

whitlocm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bad Battery Life

Hi
Yes, I have noticed a dramatic drop in battery life. I use to get home from work about 6pm with about 50% battery life. Now by 2pm I'm less than 10%.

No Bluetooth. No GPS. No NFC (this was originally on when getting to 6pm). WiFi on. WiFi Off. Doesn't matter. Turned location services to battery save or off. No new apps.

I have converted runtime to ART (worth having a read up on this), which can potentially give up to 20-30% better battery.

The funny thing is at home with full WiFi and strong 3G reception the battery life is exceptional! 2-3 days standby (light/medium use). The 3G reception at work.

A friend suggested that possibly the radio (3G) isn't locking on to a specific tower and keeps bouncing between towers chewing up the battery.

I will try a factory reset and see if it fixes the problem. From what I've been able to discover online it doesn't seem to be a very common problem.

Metal72
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same Here

My girlfriend is having the same problem with battery drain.
GPS is off and she's using Wi-Fi at home.

When Google rolled Kit Kat OTAs I had to wipe her phone and flash the official Mako factory images to actually get it updated. So the phone isn't rooted and It's completely stock now. The 4.4.2 OTA update installed just fine. Then she noticed the poor battery life. Android system and Android OS are the 2 highest battery users in the list (will try to get a screenshot of this later)

Is the factory reset working for any one?
Has a reinstall of the factory images fixed this?
Any other suggestions?
Just wanted to ask everyone before I spent a bunch of time on it.

Thanks so much!

jclake
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default factory reset doesn't resolve

I did a factory reset and the issue still exists. I have removed 1/3 of my apps, 80% of the photos on my phone. I tried running Bluetooth off 100% of the time. Turned off location reporting. Turned off syncing any Google service I wan't using. None of these helped. My problem is intermittent. I will make a change then go a couple of days thinking "problem solved," then on the third day massive battery drain reoccurs. I think the battery monitor in the OS is unreliable when this occurs becasue it will report an app like "Flixter" as the main source of the drain. The next time it will be mediaserver, or TV Guide.

Exit_Only
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclake View Post
I did a factory reset and the issue still exists. I have removed 1/3 of my apps, 80% of the photos on my phone. I tried running Bluetooth off 100% of the time. Turned off location reporting. Turned off syncing any Google service I wan't using. None of these helped. My problem is intermittent. I will make a change then go a couple of days thinking "problem solved," then on the third day massive battery drain reoccurs. I think the battery monitor in the OS is unreliable when this occurs becasue it will report an app like "Flixter" as the main source of the drain. The next time it will be mediaserver, or TV Guide.
You got a lot of apps it sounds like. My problem has been eliminated sense removing weather channel app. Been good for two weeks

Current Device:

Current Setup:

zhangmikey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same problem.

I have read millions of forums and this problem is not going away. I also have intermittent battery drain - it works for a few days and then everything goes back to sh-it. I've tried everything - deleting apps, turning off all services i don't use, power saving mode, sync, GPS, and nothing works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal72 View Post
My girlfriend is having the same problem with battery drain.
GPS is off and she's using Wi-Fi at home.

When Google rolled Kit Kat OTAs I had to wipe her phone and flash the official Mako factory images to actually get it updated. So the phone isn't rooted and It's completely stock now. The 4.4.2 OTA update installed just fine. Then she noticed the poor battery life. Android system and Android OS are the 2 highest battery users in the list (will try to get a screenshot of this later)

Is the factory reset working for any one?
Has a reinstall of the factory images fixed this?
Any other suggestions?
Just wanted to ask everyone before I spent a bunch of time on it.

Thanks so much!

Blainstorm
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I have the same issue, Android System drains more Battery then screen, my Phone doesn't have root...

so without root I can't Use wakelock detector...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Metal72
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bad to worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit_Only View Post
You got a lot of apps it sounds like. My problem has been eliminated sense removing weather channel app. Been good for two weeks

Thanks for that note! I know my gf uses the weather channel app. Will tell her to remove it.

On a similar note. Now a few months later now and her battery wont hold a charge for more than 2 hours and wont charge to 100% every time. Her phone is only a year old. luckily she called google 2 days before the 1 year warranty was up. They sent instructions on safe mode and some other tips. Hopefully she'll end up with a new battery and i'll make sure shes not using weather channel haha.