Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Stock Nexus 4 - Committed Suicide (Stuck On Bootloader Screen)

OP SidCurry

10th June 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

If your bootloader is locked you're going to have a problem. With it locked there's no way you're going to be able to recover your files. Adb will work if you can boot into recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks for your help, I'm not extremely familiar with rooting/using ADB, etc so I'm having a huge panic attack.
What would you recommend is the best course of action? If I choose to pursue using ADB to backup my phone's data, would you please mind pointing me to the noob-friendly threads (or even help me yourself by holding my hand along the process ) for:
1) Step-by-step of how to properly install Android SDK and 1.a) How to enable ADB functionality?
2) How to correctly enter Recovery mode on my N4 (button combos) and whether I should attempt to wipe cache/Dalvik?
3) How to use Android SDK/ADB to backup my data from my nexus 4?

Again, I really appreciate your help. As you can imagine, I'm really worried about losing photos of some huge moments in my life and I'm slightly overwhelmed at the different methods people seem to be using (and trying to figure out whether those apply to me). Thanks.
10th June 2014, 06:52 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,012

11,420 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidCurry

Thanks for your help, I'm not extremely familiar with rooting/using ADB, etc so I'm having a huge panic attack.
What would you recommend is the best course of action? If I choose to pursue using ADB to backup my phone's data, would you please mind pointing me to the noob-friendly threads (or even help me yourself by holding my hand along the process ) for:
1) Step-by-step of how to properly install Android SDK and 1.a) How to enable ADB functionality?
2) How to correctly enter Recovery mode on my N4 (button combos) and whether I should attempt to wipe cache/Dalvik?
3) How to use Android SDK/ADB to backup my data from my nexus 4?

Again, I really appreciate your help. As you can imagine, I'm really worried about losing photos of some huge moments in my life and I'm slightly overwhelmed at the different methods people seem to be using (and trying to figure out whether those apply to me). Thanks.

To setup adb. Google 15 second adb drivers xda. That'll give you everything you need.

To boot into recovery you need to boot into the bootloader. Vol down plus power button. Then use the vol keys to navigate to recovery

The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

To setup adb. Google 15 second adb drivers xda. That'll give you everything you need.

To boot into recovery you need to boot into the bootloader. Vol down plus power button. Then use the vol keys to navigate to recovery

Great, I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.
I had a general question: When I boot into recovery, how do I find out if I have USB debugging enabled? Is there some way for me to find out if I did indeed enable it a while ago (I can't quite remember)?
And if I enter Recovery mode, is there a way for me to exit this mode and turn my phone off/restart it (or do I HAVE to select one of the options?) I want to go in and see if I have USB debugging enabled first, and then turn my phone off without wiping any caches, etc, and then download + setup ADB.
Thanks!
10th June 2014, 11:22 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 76

450 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidCurry

Great, I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.
I had a general question: When I boot into recovery, how do I find out if I have USB debugging enabled? Is there some way for me to find out if I did indeed enable it a while ago (I can't quite remember)?
And if I enter Recovery mode, is there a way for me to exit this mode and turn my phone off/restart it (or do I HAVE to select one of the options?) I want to go in and see if I have USB debugging enabled first, and then turn my phone off without wiping any caches, etc, and then download + setup ADB.
Thanks!

After entering recovery and wiping both caches there is an option to reboot system. U can use this to boot your phone back up again.

(Sorry, it indeed is vol down + power button to enter bootloader menu) my bad

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
12th June 2014, 10:34 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 76

450 posts
More
@SidCurry did you made some progres in retreiving your data?

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread